Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical trunking fixing

I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly
irregular surface internal wall. Would a grab adhesive be suitable for
this application or would I be better off drilling through the back and
attaching using screws?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 12:43, alan_m wrote:

I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly
irregular surface internal wall.Â* Would a grab adhesive be suitable for
this application or would I be better off drilling through the back and
attaching using screws?

Screw fixing is always preferable on an irregular surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ash Burton wrote:

alan_m wrote:

I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly
irregular surface internal wall.Â* Would a grab adhesive be suitable for
this application or would I be better off drilling through the back and
attaching using screws?

Screw fixing is always preferable on an irregular surface.

Or double-sided foam tape, if it'll be SEP by the time it needs to be
removed ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m pretended :
I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly irregular
surface internal wall. Would a grab adhesive be suitable for this
application or would I be better off drilling through the back and attaching
using screws?

Use the self adhesive type, but also drill and fix with screws to the
wall where there are gaps between wall and trunking. Fix at regular
intervals anyway, the self stick never remains stuck for long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 12:43:20 UTC, alan_m wrote:
I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly
irregular surface internal wall. Would a grab adhesive be suitable for
this application or would I be better off drilling through the back and
attaching using screws?

Drill and screw, and if it's over an escape route you'll also need metal cable restraint clips inside the trunking.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drill and screw try to aim for the high spots on the wall. If you have to screw at a point where the wall bends inward use packers behind the trunking.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my house they seem to have used some kind of spongy double sided tape,
not very good. its beginning to wobble.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Ash Burton" wrote in message
news
On 25/01/2018 12:43, alan_m wrote:

I need to surface fix some plastic electrical trunking to a fairly
irregular surface internal wall. Would a grab adhesive be suitable for
this application or would I be better off drilling through the back and
attaching using screws?

Screw fixing is always preferable on an irregular surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2018 21:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
In my house they seem to have used some kind of spongy double sided tape,
not very good. its beginning to wobble.
Brian

AKA self adhesive trunking. Very good for installing the trunking,
seems to be OK for a few months but really feeds screwing/nailing in
place for a permanent job. (spoken from experience!)

Malcolm

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing I'd trust the double sided tape for is to hold the trunking still while you drill and screw it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 11:52:22 -0800, Cynic wrote:

The only thing I'd trust the double sided tape for is to hold the
trunking still while you drill and screw it.

That's what I use it for. And it fills minor irregularities...