DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/603205-ch-system-design-overhaul-maintenance.html)

Chris B[_2_] January 9th 18 05:38 PM

CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance.

This is a long rambling post for which I apologize, but If I just come
in with some questions there will inevitably be requests for more info
so I have tried to include all relevant info in one post.

As some of you will be aware I am helping a friend who has inherited a
house needing lots of updating. The central heating being one such
component.

The system was designed and installed by the now deceased owner who
helpfully kept lots of notes. There are extensive notes on
maintenance/repairs and changes from its installation in 1976 until
about 2005, but no record of any work since 2005. I'm sure that in its
heyday it was well maintained but that very little will have been done
to it in the last ten years.

As of now the DHW works fine (if somewhat uneconomically) but the room
heating system is completely broken, taking several hours to increase
the house temperature by a couple of degrees. The radiator temperatures
never get much above "slightly above cold", and by feeling the water
temperature around the CH pumps and comparing to the DHW pump I am sure
that there is very little water circulation round the radiators.

At the end of the heating season I intend to drain, remove all
radiators, flush, remove pumps and assess but before I even start I want
to make sure that I fully understand the system and make sure that I
take the right course of action. (It might be time to remove all active
components and start again - although this would probably be beyond my
DIY skills -but at least if I understand the system I can have an
intelligent discussion with a professional).

Having looked at the DIY FAQ pages what I think I have is an "S Plus
Pump Plan" ie exactly what we have here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...s:_S_Plus-plan

but with the zone valves replaced with pumps and what he called "clack
valves" (of which more later).

The control system looks like a home brew box of relays and diodes.
Perhaps some pictures would help. (control box links lower down)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgvvcdyxlm...ntrol.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zrocgzq81...nstrs.jpg?dl=0

Now to my mind the radiators are not getting warm because
1) They are blocked - removal and off site flushing should solve this.
2) The pumps aren't pumping - they are either A) blocked or B) not spinning
A) Blocked - I have found info on diy faq about stripping and
removal of corrosion products from the impeller (more time consuming but
cheaper than a simple swap - time is not an issue).
B) Not spinning - How do I tell? - Simple 1:1 replacement may be
difficult see below.
3) Some other blockage.
Now this is where we come to the "clack valves". Or to give them
their correct title "Null Flow valves". (Leaflet courtesy of his
extensive records)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qxmapfy1s...valve.jpg?dl=0

There is a record of one of these jamming open causing " the landing
radiator getting hot when only the DHW pump was running". It was
stripped and rebuilt.
I can see from the "S Plan plus pump" schematic that if you replace the
zone valves with pumps then when only one pump is running there is
nothing to stop back-flow in the other loops.

Can these jam shut?

I'm afraid google has not been my friend and I can find no reference to
"clack valves" in modern heating systems. The only reference to NRV
seems to be in relation to those fitted to incoming mains supply pipes.

If these are jammed shut I can find no on line replacements. The
chances of getting an overhaul kit for these valves today must be just
about zero.

Also the control box seems to be an aladdins cave of relays and diodes.
Failure of one or more of these components is of course a possibility.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm6ung9y1u...rnals.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksj3mh8wv7...x_pcb.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sae3oudvgb...iring.jpg?dl=0

As far as I can see the design of the control box necessitates mods to
the pump wiring circuit board.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqdjodrxnh...tions.jpg?dl=0

It has taken me days wading through loads of old notes (note all images
are of his notes, I have not created anything new), would this system be
bread and butter to a current plumber/heating fitter or would they throw
up their hands in horror?

In the interests of future maintainability is it time to consider
replacing the 3 pumps with one, removing the "clack valves", installing
three zone valves, upstairs and downstairs programmable thermostats and
doing away with the magic control box box of relays and diodes?
(Although this will probably be a job for a professional rather than me)

This wont be started until the end of this heating season but any help
welcome.

--
Chris B (News)

Brian Gaff January 9th 18 06:32 PM

CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance.

Obviously cannot help as not able to see images, but I'd be tempted to flush
and clean explore pumps and valves and then see if it works, if it does then
you have time to figure out the long term actions needed, if not then as you
say the heath Robinson approach may have to come out as ap and something
standard put in.
You don't mention the boiler itself, but if this is as old as you suggest
may well be time for a replacement there as well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Andy Burns[_13_] January 9th 18 06:33 PM

Brian Gaff wrote:

Obviously cannot help as not able to see images

You're lucky, one of them is blurry enough to give you a migraine!

[email protected] January 9th 18 07:19 PM

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 17:38:40 UTC, Chris B wrote:

[...]

I suspect the average plumber would run away in horror. I daresay it worked very well in its day, but once there's no-one around that properly understands it it becomes a beast to deal with.

I'd look at the pumps first, as they're prime candidates for failure. A hand on them will tell immediately if they're running. Opening them will tell if the impellers are crudded up or broken. If you're just lost as to what's going on with the controls, you might consider fitting neons so you can see at a glance what's going on.

I'd also fit a magnaclean or similar near the boiler intake, 10 years of no maintenance makes sludge a prime candidate. Even if the system is entirely replaced you can re-use this. The filter may clog repeatedly at first, causing symptoms, check it often at first.

Doing those should give you a lot more idea what's going on.

The valves I guess are just one way check valves to prevent backflow. If they need a clean out you may find no kit needed.

That's where I'd start.

NT

Andy Burns[_13_] January 9th 18 07:22 PM

wrote:

If you're just lost as to what's going on with the controls, you
might consider fitting neons so you can see at a glance what's going
on.

It seems to have three lamps for the two C/H pumps and the H/W pump.

Chris B[_2_] January 9th 18 09:43 PM

On 09/01/2018 19:22, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

If you're just lost as to what's going on with the controls, you might
consider fitting neons so you can see at a glance what's going
on.

It seems to have three lamps for the two C/H pumps and the H/W pump.

Indeed it does, and they light up as expected when the relevant
thermostats call for heat, so I suppose in hindsight that rules out any
form of fault with the control box.

--
Chris B (News)

John Rumm January 10th 18 01:20 AM

On 09/01/2018 17:38, Chris B wrote:

This is a long rambling post for which I apologize, but If I just come
in with some questions there will inevitably be requests for more info
so I have tried to include all relevant info in one post.

Good plan ;-)

As of now the DHW works fine (if somewhat uneconomically) but the room
heating system is completely broken, taking several hours to increase
the house temperature by a couple of degrees. The radiator temperatures
never get much above "slightly above cold", and by feeling the water
temperature around the CH pumps and comparing to the DHW pump I am sure
that there is very little water circulation round the radiators.

Sounds plausible

At the end of the heating season I intend to drain, remove all
radiators, flush, remove pumps and assess but before I even start I want
to make sure that I fully understand the system and make sure that I
take the right course of action. (It might be time to remove all active
components and start again - although this would probably be beyond my
DIY skills -but at least if I understand the system I can have an
intelligent discussion with a professional).

It looks like a well planned and designed system - although a bit non
standard compared with typical installs today.

Having looked at the DIY FAQ pages what I think I have is an "S Plus
Pump Plan" ie exactly what we have here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...s:_S_Plus-plan

but with the zone valves replaced with pumps and what he called "clack
valves" (of which more later).

Yup.

The control system looks like a home brew box of relays and diodes.
Perhaps some pictures would help. (control box links lower down)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgvvcdyxlm...ntrol.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zrocgzq81...nstrs.jpg?dl=0

Fairly straight forward though - a call for heat in a zone causes it to
energise a socket, and that powers the pump. The additional indicator
lights being a nice touch to let you "see" the demand.

Now to my mind the radiators are not getting warm because
1) They are blocked - removal and off site flushing should solve this.

Possible, but odd that they are all blocked - still it could be a common
bit of pipework that's blocked.

2) The pumps aren't pumping - they are either A) blocked or B) not spinning
A) Blocked - I have found info on diy faq about stripping and
removal of corrosion products from the impeller (more time consuming but
cheaper than a simple swap - time is not an issue).

A good system flushing may also help. (there is an article in the wiki
on that)

B) Not spinning - How do I tell? - Simple 1:1 replacement may be
difficult see below.

Not spinning is easy to check... you may be able to do it by feel.
However if you unscrew that shiny metal bit in the centre (be ready with
a cloth - a small amount of water may spill), that should expose the
shaft on the end of the impeller. If its not spinning it will be
obvious. The shaft also often has a screwdriver slot, which you can use
to manually turn the pump and possibly free it.

3) Some other blockage.
Now this is where we come to the "clack valves". Or to give them
their correct title "Null Flow valves". (Leaflet courtesy of his
extensive records)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qxmapfy1s...valve.jpg?dl=0

There is a record of one of these jamming open causing " the landing
radiator getting hot when only the DHW pump was running". It was
stripped and rebuilt.
I can see from the "S Plan plus pump" schematic that if you replace the
zone valves with pumps then when only one pump is running there is
nothing to stop back-flow in the other loops.

Can these jam shut?

No experience of them - but in a badly sludged system anything jamming
open or shut could be a distinct possibility!

I'm afraid google has not been my friend and I can find no reference to
"clack valves" in modern heating systems. The only reference to NRV
seems to be in relation to those fitted to incoming mains supply pipes.

If these are jammed shut I can find no on line replacements. The
chances of getting an overhaul kit for these valves today must be just
about zero.

You could probably just replace them with a "single" check valve:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/single-ch...lve-22mm/61237

You would lose the manual control - but you are unlikely to need that
anyway.

(failing that you could also use a 2 port zone valve - wired in parallel
with the pump - but that's expensive)

Also the control box seems to be an aladdins cave of relays and diodes.
Failure of one or more of these components is of course a possibility.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm6ung9y1u...rnals.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksj3mh8wv7...x_pcb.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sae3oudvgb...iring.jpg?dl=0

As far as I can see the design of the control box necessitates mods to
the pump wiring circuit board.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqdjodrxnh...tions.jpg?dl=0

It has taken me days wading through loads of old notes (note all images
are of his notes, I have not created anything new), would this system be
bread and butter to a current plumber/heating fitter or would they throw
up their hands in horror?

One with some experience ought to be able to work it out. Will
"different" its not that different.

In the interests of future maintainability is it time to consider
replacing the 3 pumps with one, removing the "clack valves", installing
three zone valves, upstairs and downstairs programmable thermostats and
doing away with the magic control box box of relays and diodes?
(Although this will probably be a job for a professional rather than me)

You could - but I suspect those are not the bits causing the problems.
Lack of flow seems like the most likely problem, for one of a couple of
possible reasons.

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] January 10th 18 03:51 AM

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 01:20:11 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

B) Not spinning - How do I tell? - Simple 1:1 replacement may be
difficult see below.

Not spinning is easy to check... you may be able to do it by feel.
However if you unscrew that shiny metal bit in the centre (be ready with
a cloth - a small amount of water may spill), that should expose the
shaft on the end of the impeller. If its not spinning it will be
obvious. The shaft also often has a screwdriver slot, which you can use
to manually turn the pump and possibly free it.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_pump_repair

NT

Dave Plowman (News) January 10th 18 10:27 AM

CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance.

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
As of now the DHW works fine (if somewhat uneconomically) but the room
heating system is completely broken, taking several hours to increase
the house temperature by a couple of degrees. The radiator temperatures
never get much above "slightly above cold", and by feeling the water
temperature around the CH pumps and comparing to the DHW pump I am sure
that there is very little water circulation round the radiators.

At the end of the heating season I intend to drain, remove all
radiators, flush, remove pumps and assess but before I even start I want
to make sure that I fully understand the system and make sure that I
take the right course of action.

It's very unlikely the system is blocked to that extent.

First thing to do is make sure the pump is working normally, and any
electrically controlled valves operating as they should.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Geo[_3_] January 10th 18 11:35 AM

CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:38:34 +0000, Chris B wrote:

Must say what a wonderfully documented self-install! Puts my folder to
shame. Nothing wrong with a relay and some diodes (just what is inside
any modern, maybe smaller, box).

I would try exercising the flow control valves and running the system
with the DHW valve manually closed and pump switched off so that only
the CH loop should be heating - to see what the boiler flow/return
temperatures do.

Chris B[_2_] January 10th 18 11:56 AM

On 10/01/2018 11:35, Geo wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:38:34 +0000, Chris B wrote:

Must say what a wonderfully documented self-install! Puts my folder to
shame.

Documentation was his strong point, perhaps to excess. Notes being
littered with things like "stopping for a cup of tea now" and "perhaps
I'll do this after lunch".

The only downside is that he has never thrown ****anything**** away so
you have to make sure you are looking at the up to date info. It is of
course all dated and quite often Timed as well. Fortunately in about
2000 he got a PC and one of his projects was to type up the most current
of his hand written notes. (For not only this but everything else to do
with the house)

--
Chris B (News)

Roger Mills[_2_] January 10th 18 09:02 PM

[...]

Well, it certainly isn't a *conventional* S-Plan+ system. That, as you
have noted, would have a single pump and one zone valve for each zone
(3-in total). It would be wired so that the appropriate zone valve would
open whenever its zone was calling for heat, and so that the boiler
would fire and the pump would run whenever one or more zones were
calling for heat.

To achieve the same thing with a pump for each zone, but no valves,
requires some relay logic to run the boiler whenever one or more pumps
are running. Presumably that's what the control box - with its
assortment of diodes and relays - sets out to achieve, but I can't quite
get my head around how it does it. [One place where it differs from
S-Plan is that it appears to prevent the DHW from heating whenever
either or both of the heating zones are calling for heat. If you wanted
to convert to S-Plan+ but keep that feature, you'd have to make it
non-standard.]

The only application I've come across for null-flow valves is to prevent
gravity circulation in a pumped system. My first CH system was gravity
HW and pumped CH - and the upstairs radiators tended to get warm in the
summer when the boiler was just on for the HW and the pump wasn't
running. So I inserted what we affectionately called a "foo-foo valve"
in the upstairs circuit. This had a flap which could be opened by pump
pressure but not by gravity circulation pressure - thus preventing
gravity circulation.

As others have said, your problem is probably either with the pumps or
with silting up of the system. The pumps can be checked fairly easily.
It's worth checking that you've got a water path to each side of each
radiator by bleeding it with each valve closed in turn until you get a
flow of water through the bled hole.

A couple more thoughts . . .

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Are there any manual valves - e.g. for balancing the flow in the 3
circuits, or for maintenance purposes? Gate valves in particular are
notorious for jamming shut - even when the spindle appears to turn.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Chris B[_2_] January 10th 18 10:34 PM

On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

A couple more thoughts .Â* .Â* .

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

Are there any manual valves - e.g. for balancing the flow in the 3
circuits, or for maintenance purposes?

Oh yes - several

Gate valves in particular are
notorious for jamming shut - even when the spindle appears to turn.

Its unlikely they will have jammed shut as they will not have been
touched for several years. Silted up maybe - but I don't think they
will be jammed shut.

--
Chris B (News)

[email protected] January 11th 18 12:06 AM

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 22:35:00 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

Are there any manual valves - e.g. for balancing the flow in the 3
circuits, or for maintenance purposes?

Oh yes - several

Gate valves in particular are
notorious for jamming shut - even when the spindle appears to turn.

Its unlikely they will have jammed shut as they will not have been
touched for several years. Silted up maybe - but I don't think they
will be jammed shut.

they'd only be shut if someone closed them, but if so one would expect them to have done something about it then.

NT

Roger Hayter[_2_] January 11th 18 12:32 AM

wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 22:35:00 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

He's got three pumps. IME it can be deceptive if they are mechanically
coupled through metal pipes.

Are there any manual valves - e.g. for balancing the flow in the 3
circuits, or for maintenance purposes?

Oh yes - several

Gate valves in particular are
notorious for jamming shut - even when the spindle appears to turn.

Its unlikely they will have jammed shut as they will not have been
touched for several years. Silted up maybe - but I don't think they
will be jammed shut.

they'd only be shut if someone closed them, but if so one would expect
them to have done something about it then.

NT

What about these anti-gravity valves? Do they ever get gummed up?

--

Roger Hayter

[email protected] January 11th 18 01:18 AM

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 00:32:57 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 22:35:00 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

He's got three pumps. IME it can be deceptive if they are mechanically
coupled through metal pipes.

and a control system that makes it trivial to ensure only one is running

Are there any manual valves - e.g. for balancing the flow in the 3
circuits, or for maintenance purposes?
Oh yes - several

Gate valves in particular are
notorious for jamming shut - even when the spindle appears to turn.

Its unlikely they will have jammed shut as they will not have been
touched for several years. Silted up maybe - but I don't think they
will be jammed shut.

they'd only be shut if someone closed them, but if so one would expect
them to have done something about it then.

What about these anti-gravity valves? Do they ever get gummed up?

Not something I know about. I can't imagine how they'd be muck-proof, but someone else hopefully knows.

NT

John Rumm January 11th 18 01:25 AM

On 11/01/2018 00:06, wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 22:35:00 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in the
attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut) allowing
air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would certainly prevent any
decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

The point is that it gives you access to the shaft, which in many cases
will allow you to free a stuck pump.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Roger Hayter[_2_] January 11th 18 01:39 AM

tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 22:35:00 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 21:02, Roger Mills wrote:

It's presumably a vented system with a fill & expansion tank in
the attic? Could that have run dry (if its ball valve stuck shut)
allowing air to enter the heating circuits? Air locks would
certainly prevent any decent flow.

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

He's got three pumps. IME it can be deceptive if they are mechanically
coupled through metal pipes.

and a control system that makes it trivial to ensure only one is running

But you'd have to make sure it was working properly by checking the
voltages or disconnecting the other pumps and it would be quicker just
to take the screw-on cover off.

[email protected] January 11th 18 04:51 AM

tabbypurr wrote:

Yes its certainly this type - I have not checked the header tank but
will do, along with removing the little silver disk at the end of the
pumps to check for rotation as someone else suggested.

no point, just put your hand on it or your ear to it.

He's got three pumps. IME it can be deceptive if they are mechanically
coupled through metal pipes.

and a control system that makes it trivial to ensure only one is running

But you'd have to make sure it was working properly by checking the
voltages or disconnecting the other pumps and it would be quicker just
to take the screw-on cover off.

all pumps are plugged in. Disconnecting others is trivial. Volt checking them is trivial - in fact AIUI the system already has lamps showing pump voltage. Plugging them into an extension lead is trivial.

If there's a problem with a pump then there's a reason to open it.

NT

harry January 11th 18 07:19 AM

[...]

"Clack valve" is an obsolete term for a non-return valve (ie one way flow only). Also called "check valve".
It term arises from the noise large one make when the moving part closes.

There are several designs of non-return valve, Clack valve is only on of them. It is larger and more costly than others but provides a full bore passage (ie minimum resistance).

https://www.pumpsandsystems.com/site...CheckValve.jpg

Roger Mills[_2_] January 11th 18 09:16 AM

On 11/01/2018 04:51, wrote:

all pumps are plugged in. Disconnecting others is trivial. Volt checking them is trivial - in fact AIUI the system already has lamps showing pump voltage. Plugging them into an extension lead is trivial.

If there's a problem with a pump then there's a reason to open it.

NT

Your solution certainly verifies that the pump is receiving power and
produces a sound. But are you sure that can tell the difference between
the sound it makes when rotating as opposed to being stalled? Taking the
cap off only takes a few seconds. [Even that only shows that the *shaft*
is rotating - whereas the impeller may not be, if that has become
detached.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

[email protected] January 11th 18 01:15 PM

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 09:15:44 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/01/2018 04:51, tabbypurr wrote:

all pumps are plugged in. Disconnecting others is trivial. Volt checking them is trivial - in fact AIUI the system already has lamps showing pump voltage. Plugging them into an extension lead is trivial.

If there's a problem with a pump then there's a reason to open it.

Your solution certainly verifies that the pump is receiving power and
produces a sound. But are you sure that can tell the difference between
the sound it makes when rotating as opposed to being stalled?

yes. there's no mistaking the difference.

Taking the
cap off only takes a few seconds. [Even that only shows that the *shaft*
is rotating - whereas the impeller may not be, if that has become
detached.]

Taking the cap off can cause a pump to crash. It has its uses but it's not the best option at this point.

NT

Roger Mills[_2_] January 11th 18 03:06 PM

On 11/01/2018 13:15, wrote:
[...]

Please define "crash" in this context.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Chris B[_2_] January 11th 18 06:25 PM

On 10/01/2018 01:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2018 17:38, Chris B wrote:

Â*Â* B) Not spinning - How do I tell?Â* - Simple 1:1 replacement may be
difficult see below.

Not spinning is easy to check... you may be able to do it by feel.
However if you unscrew that shiny metal bit in the centre (be ready with
a cloth - a small amount of water may spill), that should expose the
shaft on the end of the impeller. If its not spinning it will be
obvious. The shaft also often has a screwdriver slot, which you can use
to manually turn the pump and possibly free it.

Gold Blue Peter badge to Mr Rumm. Thank you kind Sir. Both pumps were
vibrating slightly to the touch and were drawing power according to one
of those plug in power meter thingies. But removal of that little
silver screw revealed that neither shaft was actually turning (the water
that leaked out was pleasantly clear). A mere touch of the screwdriver
on the slotted end and they both leapt into life, with an almost instant
change in the temperature of the adjacent pipes and a satisfying amount
of gurgling (which soon died away).

I can only assume that the long rest last summer had not been good for
them (one of the disadvantages of a 3 pump system I suppose, only one
pump gets year round use).

Radiators now much more sensible temperature (at the top at least), but
many have cold spots that one would expect from a sludge build up.

One more (and hopefully last - until I drain the system at least)
question.

Do I stand any realistic chance of fitting a modern TRV to this sort of
radiator, or am I likely to suffer imperial/metric incompatibility? The
house is currently about 50/50 these and modern finned panel types.
There is no real sign of severe corrosion on any of them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5613768cj1hezn/Rad1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z69oos6vi65ear2/Rad2.jpg?dl=0

Thanks to all who have contributed, this has been most helpful.
--
Chris B (News)

Chris B[_2_] January 11th 18 06:30 PM

On 11/01/2018 13:15, wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I had not read this when I set off to investigate this afternoon
- please see my other post.

--
Chris B (News)

Roger Hayter[_2_] January 11th 18 07:01 PM

Chris B wrote:

[...]

Strangely, we never gave up our Imperial pipe threads. Indeed, at
least some bits of the EU seem to use them. You may need to change the
tails screwed into the radiators,[1] but, provided the latter are not
too badly corroded, it will be easy to get ones that fit. The correct
ones may be provided with the valves, but if not they are cheap.

[1] Either because they are obsolescent unions as in your picture or
because the compression nuts have the wrong thread. If the latter, new
ones are less effort than getting the olives off.
--

Roger Hayter

John Rumm January 11th 18 07:35 PM

On 11/01/2018 18:25, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 01:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2018 17:38, Chris B wrote:

B) Not spinning - How do I tell? - Simple 1:1 replacement may be
difficult see below.

Not spinning is easy to check... you may be able to do it by feel.
However if you unscrew that shiny metal bit in the centre (be ready
with a cloth - a small amount of water may spill), that should expose
the shaft on the end of the impeller. If its not spinning it will be
obvious. The shaft also often has a screwdriver slot, which you can
use to manually turn the pump and possibly free it.

Gold Blue Peter badge to Mr Rumm. Thank you kind Sir. Both pumps were

I shall wear it to bed ;-)

vibrating slightly to the touch and were drawing power according to one
of those plug in power meter thingies. But removal of that little
silver screw revealed that neither shaft was actually turning (the water
that leaked out was pleasantly clear). A mere touch of the screwdriver
on the slotted end and they both leapt into life, with an almost instant
change in the temperature of the adjacent pipes and a satisfying amount
of gurgling (which soon died away).

Sounds like a quick bleeding might be in order...

I can only assume that the long rest last summer had not been good for
them (one of the disadvantages of a 3 pump system I suppose, only one
pump gets year round use).

Yup...

Radiators now much more sensible temperature (at the top at least), but
many have cold spots that one would expect from a sludge build up.

One more (and hopefully last - until I drain the system at least) question.

Do I stand any realistic chance of fitting a modern TRV to this sort of
radiator, or am I likely to suffer imperial/metric incompatibility? The
house is currently about 50/50 these and modern finned panel types.
There is no real sign of severe corrosion on any of them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5613768cj1hezn/Rad1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z69oos6vi65ear2/Rad2.jpg?dl=0

Yup, should be doable - with a couple of possible gottchas ;-)

The rad has what looks like a standard 1/2" BSP socket. Into which is
currently screwed a tail that matches the valve you have. The tail has a
3/4" BSP nut captive on it, and that tightens it onto the valve
(remember that when you come to undo it - you are undoing the nut on the
tail from the valve, not the other way around!)

Chances are a modern TRV will come with a 15mm compression on both the
input and output sides, and a matching tail that is just a 1/2" BSP male
taper on one end, and a stub of chrome 15mm pipe on the other.

So to make the new valve fit the rad, you will need to remove the
existing tail from the rad (using a radiator tail hex key (they look
like a large Allen key)) which you stuff up the open end of the tail,
and turn. Once removed, brush off any lose rust from the socket. Take
the new tail, and wind 10 to 15 turns of PTFE tape on it (or apply other
thread sealant), and then thread that into the socket on the rad and do
up (pretty) tight (new ones typically need a spanner to tighten on a
couple of flats on the outside, rather than the special rad key).

Most of that process is illustrated in this article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...s_to_Microbore

(you can ignore the bits about the microbore pipe)

Next turn your attention to the pipe feeding the valve. That does not
look quite like the traditional compression fitting connecting the pipe
to the valve - it might be there is some kind of threaded adaptor in
there. I suspect that the valve you have actually has a female BSP
socket on the bottom of it.

You may get lucky and find that:

* undoing the very bottom nut will allow the old valve to come off,
* you will be left with an olive captive on the pipe and not too much
pipe protruding to stop the thing going into the base of the new valve,
* the old nut will thread onto the new valve, and finally
* and the length of pipe is either right or will move enough to allow
the new valve to align with the rad!

Then again you might not.

You may have to chop off the pipe and extend it[1] to the right height
and fit the new valve to that.

[1] end feed capillary solder fitting is the neat way, but curpofit (or
similar) pushfit can look ok for this application.

e.g. Here I needed to fit an "dog leg" adaptation to a rad stem to reach
a new metric (and slightly smaller) rad, but wanted to do the final join
to the existing pipework while the system was still full of water, so
soldering the last bit was out:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tOnRadTail.jpg

So I soldered up the pipe offset, fitted the valve to in (and remembered
to turn it off!) and stuck the copper pushfit on the bottom, chopped
through the pipe with a pipe slice, and put a thumb over the cut end,
then quickly stuffed the new bit on with the curpofit on the bottom.
Only spilled about a quarter cup full of water.

--
Cheers,

John.

Roger Mills[_2_] January 11th 18 07:54 PM

CH System Design/Overhaul/Maintenance.

On 11/01/2018 18:25, Chris B wrote:

One more (and hopefully last - until I drain the system at least) question.

Do I stand any realistic chance of fitting a modern TRV to this sort of
radiator, or am I likely to suffer imperial/metric incompatibility? The
house is currently about 50/50 these and modern finned panel types.
There is no real sign of severe corrosion on any of them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5613768cj1hezn/Rad1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z69oos6vi65ear2/Rad2.jpg?dl=0

Yes, it shouldn't be too difficult. Modern TRVs usually have:
- a plain tail (15mm in diameter) with a 1/2" BSP male thread at one end
to screw into the radiator
- 15mm compression joints on both ends of the valve - one connecting to
the tail and the other to the external pipework.

The current valve has a tail with a union rather than a plain one, so
this tail will have to be removed (likely to have an internal hex socket
for an Allen key) and replaced by the tail which comes with the TRV.
Both will have 1/2" BSP threads - so no problem there. You'll need some
PTFE tape round the threads, of course.

The current connection to the external pipe appears to me to be 1/2" BSP
on the valve side, with a 1/2" male iron to 1/2" or 15mm[1] compression
joint screwed into it. I would get rid of that, and shorten the external
pipe by a couple of inches or so. Then use a short length of new 15mm
pipe to connect the TRV to the original pipe. You'll need to clean the
paint off where you make the joint - and measure the pipe very carefully
to determine its size. If it's metric, a straight 15mm solder coupling
would be best. If it's imperial, you can get a special 1/2" to 15mm
solder coupling. or if you don't mind the joint being a bit more
prominent, you can use a compression coupling - which is more forgiving.
A 15mm compression coupling will join 1/2"[2] to 15mm with no problem.

[1] depending on whether the pipes are imperial or metric

[2] Bear in mind that 1/2" is the nominal bore, so that the OD is
actually quite close to 15mm

--
Cheers,
Roger

Chris B[_2_] January 11th 18 09:24 PM

On 11/01/2018 19:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2018 18:25, Chris B wrote:
On 10/01/2018 01:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/01/2018 17:38, Chris B wrote:

Much advice snipped

So I soldered up the pipe offset, fitted the valve to in (and remembered
to turn it off!) and stuck the copper pushfit on the bottom, chopped
through the pipe with a pipe slice, and put a thumb over the cut end,
then quickly stuffed the new bit on with the curpofit on the bottom.
Only spilled about a quarter cup full of water.

Thanks very much to you and Roger Mills for the tips. Both Posts saved
until I start the job in the spring. You have given me the confidence
to have a go at it (I have done some plumbing before but it has usually
involved removal and replacement of like with like - I am quite happy
with taking off the rads flushing them out and putting them back as is.)

I have also mastered solder ring couplings. Never been brave enough to
try end feed because when you are only using 1 or 2 the price difference
is negligible.

--
Chris B (News)

John Rumm January 11th 18 10:48 PM

On 11/01/2018 21:24, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Yup, solder ring is fine - just slightly more "lumpy". (I tend to use
end feed since they are a little bit quicker - less metal to heat so
they get to flow temperature quicker. (I keep a small selection of
solder ring fittings for when I have to work at arms length etc, and
can't spare a hand to hold the solder!)

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] January 11th 18 11:08 PM

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 15:04:56 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/01/2018 13:15, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

make nasty noises & stop turning

NT

[email protected] January 11th 18 11:08 PM

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 18:25:13 UTC, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Good news. I suggest the no1 priority is to fit a sludge filter.
Despite the name, TRVs don't give thermostatic control.

NT

Roger Hayter[_2_] January 11th 18 11:36 PM

Chris B wrote:

[...]

If it is iimpractical to put the pipe joint(s) out of sight (as it
usually is with the job you are talking about) then plain end fed
fittings look much less obtrusive.

--

Roger Hayter

John Rumm January 12th 18 12:27 AM

On 11/01/2018 23:36, Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris B wrote:

[...]

In the grand scheme of things, even a compression fitting will "vanish"
when you stop looking at it all the time!

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] January 12th 18 05:09 AM

On Friday, 12 January 2018 00:27:06 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2018 23:36, Roger Hayter wrote:

If it is iimpractical to put the pipe joint(s) out of sight (as it
usually is with the job you are talking about) then plain end fed
fittings look much less obtrusive.

In the grand scheme of things, even a compression fitting will "vanish"
when you stop looking at it all the time!

paint it the colour of the wall

NT

Chris J Dixon January 12th 18 08:50 AM

wrote:

Despite the name, TRVs don't give thermostatic control.

However, if you shell out for one of the systems using motorised
heads and separate programmable thermostats, you can get much
better performance.

I find that being able to control rooms separately and accurately
by time of day works well for me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

[email protected] January 12th 18 09:02 AM

On Friday, 12 January 2018 08:50:35 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Despite the name, TRVs don't give thermostatic control.

However, if you shell out for one of the systems using motorised
heads and separate programmable thermostats, you can get much
better performance.

I find that being able to control rooms separately and accurately
by time of day works well for me.

Chris

Those things are surely going to be universal in future.
I forget the payback period at current prices, I did look at them at one point.

NT

Andy Burns[_13_] January 12th 18 09:11 AM

tabbypurr wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

tabbypurr wrote:

Despite the name, TRVs don't give thermostatic control.

if you shell out for one of the systems using motorised heads and
separate programmable thermostats, you can get much better
performance.

Those things are surely going to be universal in future.

I don't like the idea of a set of batteries in each motorised TRV head;
maybe they could be charged from a thermopile strapped to the radiator,
or a little turbine in the flow?

Dave Plowman (News) January 12th 18 10:15 AM

Chris B wrote:
Do I stand any realistic chance of fitting a modern TRV to this sort of
radiator, or am I likely to suffer imperial/metric incompatibility? The
house is currently about 50/50 these and modern finned panel types.
There is no real sign of severe corrosion on any of them

1976 is roughly when I installed my system. Pipe sizes and rad threads
haven't changed since then.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman (News) January 12th 18 10:21 AM

Chris B wrote:
I have also mastered solder ring couplings. Never been brave enough to
try end feed because when you are only using 1 or 2 the price difference
is negligible.

If you have satisfied the conditions for a good soldered joint - clean,
enough heat and a decent flux, end feed are no more difficult to use than
solder ring. Especially has so many tend to add solder to solder rings
types anyway.

Well worth buying bulk packs of such things where the unit cost comes down
dramatically. Assuming you store them in a sealed container, they won't
ever go off. ;-) And if you DIY your plumbing they are bound to be needed
sooner or later.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?