Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating Oil Purity

Anyone know how much water is permitted in kerosene? I bought (just in
case of emergency) two 20 litre gerry cans full of oil from a small
independent supplier where I live and discovered quite by accident that
each contained approx half a litre of water. The funnel I was using for
the purposes of decanting happened to be one of these 'fuel-polishing'
ones that only allow pure hydrocarbons through and hold water and debris
back.
I've been aware for many years that there's invariably *some* degree of
water in heating fuel, but does anyone know what the legal limit is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2018 19:17, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Anyone know how much water is permitted in kerosene? I bought (just in
case of emergency) two 20 litre gerry cans full of oil from a small
independent supplier where I live and discovered quite by accident that
each contained approx half a litre of water. The funnel I was using for
the purposes of decanting happened to be one of these 'fuel-polishing'
ones that only allow pure hydrocarbons through and hold water and debris
back.
I've been aware for many years that there's invariably *some* degree of
water in heating fuel, but does anyone know what the legal limit is?

I have not noticed any undisolved water in the heating oil I buy.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 19:17:15 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Anyone know how much water is permitted in kerosene? I bought (just in
case of emergency) two 20 litre gerry cans full of oil from a small
independent supplier where I live and discovered quite by accident that
each contained approx half a litre of water. The funnel I was using for
the purposes of decanting happened to be one of these 'fuel-polishing'
ones that only allow pure hydrocarbons through and hold water and debris
back.
I've been aware for many years that there's invariably *some* degree of
water in heating fuel, but does anyone know what the legal limit is?

Fuel polishing????? Total bull****.
You can get water separators that work by gravity/density differences.
There can be dissolved water in fuel too but the amount is miniscule.

And you can get (paper/other materials) filters that remove solid debris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 08:39, harry wrote:
[...]

Never heard of such things either.

But I'd certainly regard a couple of percent as unacceptable, maybe less
so if you do have the full 20 litres of kerosene.

You don't want excessive water in steel kerosene tanks, it will pick up
biological contamination and eventually cause failure by corrosion. And
the growth may block filters, orifices, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

newshound Wrote in message:
[...]

I doubt 1 extra litre of water will make much difference to steel
oil tank corrosion rates.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 00:39:35 -0800, harry wrote:

Fuel polishing????? Total bull****.

Hey, don't blame me! I didn't come up with that stupid term!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 19:23:30 UTC, jim wrote:
newshound Wrote in message:
[...]

Steel fuel tank only rust because of water in the fuel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

No **** sherlock.

--