Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. Andrew Marr's The Making of Modern Britain "Controversy"

I was watching the first episode of this six episode miniseries today
and at 40 minutes and 20 seconds in[1], was staggered to hear, for the
first time in decades, the *correct* pronunciation of the word
"Controversy" in a television broadcast. What made it all the more
remarkable was that this was a BBC broadcast, the very same organisation
that had employed that cowardly joker in the Received Pronunciation dept
who had issued his joke memo on how to (mis)pronounce this controversial
word all those many decades ago.

I mention this startling fact since the subject of pronunciation of
various words, including the word "controversy" has been discussed in
this NG from time to time over the past few years, typically as the
result of "topic drift", hence my marking the subject as O.T.

I was so impressed by this act of independent thought by Andrew in
regard of using the correct pronunciation of a word that has for so long
been systematically mispronounced by news readers and commentators in TV
and radio broadcasting that I felt impelled to alert all and sundry of
this momentous event.

[1] pid b00np25k for those using get_iplayer or this link to iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...rs-the-making-
of-modern-britain-1-a-new-dawn

Apologies if there's a line wrap issue with the iplayer link above.

--
Johnny B Good