Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas question

Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a
bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

Or if you don't trust that link use this one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vugp22nbsl...rtcut.lnk?dl=0

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/01/2018 17:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.

Many council houses have both a gas bayonet and an electrical cooker
connection unit.

And to Mike, you sometimes need gorilla strength hands to get the
bayonet off. That is normal.

I always put a bit of water with washing up liquid in it around the seal
after removing the cooker to check the seal has worked.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged

temporarily ...

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.

Plenty of plumbers have arguments whether a bayonet is *only* for
temporary disconnect, or whether it is also allowed for permanent
disconnection without capping-off ... I can't argue either way, but it's
fine for the O/P's purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.

Plenty of plumbers have arguments whether a bayonet is *only* for
temporaryÂ* disconnect, or whether it is also allowed for permanent
disconnection without capping-off ... I can't argue either way, but it's
fine for the O/P's purpose.

I only need it disconnected for a few days whilst the tiles are lifted
and a new floor laid.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.

Plenty of plumbers have arguments whether a bayonet is *only* for
temporaryÂ* disconnect, or whether it is also allowed for permanent
disconnection without capping-off ... I can't argue either way, but
it's fine for the O/P's purpose.

I only need it disconnected for a few days whilst the tiles are lifted
and a new floor laid.

Mike

I have disconnected a few times over the years when replacing cookers /
tiling etc. Yes they can be a bit stubborn. I always check with soapy
water that the pipe doesnt leak, both at disconnection and reconnection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

In our last house there was one by the fireplace to use with the gas poker.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a
bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 21:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a
bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!

Indeed. Neither link worked for me - but I agree with all the comments
about being self-sealing.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/01/2018 21:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so
need a bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the
kitchen for laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be
some kind of twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I
disconnect this and leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!

Indeed. Neither link worked for me - but I agree with all the comments
about being self-sealing.

The links did not work for me.
Muddymike is a cyclist, cyclists are not too bright.
And yes, the bayonet will seal fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

Not sure about it being a temporary thing.

Plenty of plumbers have arguments whether a bayonet is *only* for
temporaryÂ* disconnect, or whether it is also allowed for permanent
disconnection without capping-off ... I can't argue either way, but
it's fine for the O/P's purpose.

I only need it disconnected for a few days whilst the tiles are lifted
and a new floor laid.

Mike

It isn't unknown for them to not seal correctly. If this happens, just
push the centre firmly, briefly. That usually does the trick.

I admit to calling the gas company for a suspected leak to discover it
was one of these beasts we'd never used. The chap showed me the trick
and explained it wasn't uncommon.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

But tape a plastic bag around it to keep it clean.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 22:05, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/01/2018 21:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a
bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!

Indeed. Neither link worked for me - but I agree with all the comments
about being self-sealing.

It seems I copied the wrong link. This one works for me.

https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 22:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/01/2018 21:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/01/2018 17:31, Muddymike wrote:
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so
need a bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the
kitchen for laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be
some kind of twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I
disconnect this and leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yup, it should be a self sealing bayonet connection.

See for what it looks like.
https://tinyurl.com/yalsdket

That's just a link to a windows shortcut!

Indeed. Neither link worked for me - but I agree with all the comments
about being self-sealing.

The links did not work for me.
Muddymike is a cyclist, cyclists are not too bright.
And yes, the bayonet will seal fine.

I did once cycle, probably not since 1988 though!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left
unplugged temporarily ...

But tape a plastic bag around it to keep it clean.

Cheers

Good idea, I'll do that.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh

Seems a bit lower down than most I've seen, usually a couple of feet up
the wall, has the flexible pipe suffered at all from being curled upwards?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 09:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh

Seems a bit lower down than most I've seen, usually a couple of feet up
the wall, has the flexible pipe suffered at all from being curled upwards?

The Flexible pipe drops down from near the top of the cooker and gently
curves back up to the bayonet connection. I've not studied it in detail
but it seemed okay. I'll look more closely this weekend when I
disconnect it.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 09:40, Muddymike wrote:

It seems I copied the wrong link. This one works for me.

https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh

2 very short demonstrations (watch both)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8oZlfEqRFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaFqhUCwkk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for laying of a new
floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of twist lock
fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and leave
the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left
unplugged temporarily ...

But tape a plastic bag around it to keep it clean.

Cheers

Good idea, I'll do that.

It's just occurred to me that if you can get a reasonably tight seal, a
sandwich bag will inflate if there's any leakage from the self sealing
connector which will not only provide dust protection but also allow you
to detect any non-trivial leakage at a glance making it a doubly good
idea. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 10:17, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 09:40, Muddymike wrote:

It seems I copied the wrong link. This one works for me.

https://tinyurl.com/y76xnqoh

2 very short demonstrations (watch both)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8oZlfEqRFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaFqhUCwkk

Thanks Alan. They were very useful in showing how much the ring needs to
be rotated and that it rotates on the flexible pipe.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 20:46, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for
laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some kind of
twist lock fitting but has no isolator valve. Can I disconnect this and
leave the mains turned of for the boiler?

Yes the bayonet connectors are self-sealing and OK to be left unplugged
temporarily ...

In our last house there was one by the fireplace to use with the gas poker.

I remember going up to Epsom via Paddington as a kid, from Cardiff on a
steam train with a ?King Class loco in front.

At my grandparents house there was what seemed to be a gigantic plug
socket next to the fire and Grandpa plugged in a huge hair dryer (or
so it seemed) with a 3 foot long nozzle that he pushed into the coals
to light it.

With hindsight I think the plug socket had round pins, probably 15 amp.

When I stayed there in the 70's, I remember a kerfuffle when a cousin
found that the top floor had bare electric wires behind a switch because
the vulcanised rubber cable had turned to dust. Emergency rewire needed,
but cousin was a GPO apprentice so he did it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 13:52:49 +0000, Andrew wrote:

At my grandparents house there was what seemed to be a gigantic plug
socket next to the fire and Grandpa plugged in a huge hair dryer (or so
it seemed) with a 3 foot long nozzle that he pushed into the coals to
light it.

We had a couple of those, including one of the very early ones. My
grandmother had one too. (my father was manager of an electricity
showroom so we got a lot of stuff, including the cooker with a transistor
radio in it!)

With hindsight I think the plug socket had round pins, probably 15 amp.

Ours were all 13 amp - my father rewired the house.

Those things were great. Basically a blower with a big heater coil. By
default it started up cold, and you inserted a forked key and pulled it
back to turn on the heat. Lit the coal in no time. Basically electric
bellows!

You can still buy similar things, although they seem expensive now.

http://amzn.eu/b5qssmK