Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SWA supply to outbuilding

Be grateful for some advice from the electricians here.

I've been asked by a relative to complete an electrical installation to
a garden shed/outbuilding. The electrician originally asked to do this
job has disappeared after partially completing it. He has connected a
roll of SWA via an isolator, but that is as far as he got.

It's a relatively simple matter of running the SWA to a CU in the
outbuilding and putting in some lights and a couple of sockets. The
problem is that the appliances to be installed in there will use about
6kW of power and I'm not sure that the SWA is rated high enough. The run
is a good 25 metres and I can't tell exactly what size the cable is.

It looks about 4mm but all I can on it is the following: BASEC
ELECTRICAL 600/1000 BS 5467 2017.

Doesn't tell me much, does anyone here know how its size/rating can be
determined?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Handy Andy" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Accurately measure the outer diameter and compare with the likely sizes on
the TLC web site

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...SWA/index.html

If you follow the link for each cable type the o/d is quoted

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 15:59:06 UTC, Handy Andy wrote:
[...]

Snip a little bit off one of the cores and compare the size of the conductors with a known bit of cable in one of the sheds/DIY shops (B&Q etc)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01-Jan-18 4:24 PM, harry wrote:
[...]

Andrew/Harry

Many thanks for the excellent ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 16:23, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Handy Andy" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Alternatively, they are all in one table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._Wire_Armoured

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 15:59, Handy Andy wrote:

Be grateful for some advice from the electricians here.

I've been asked by a relative to complete an electrical installation to
a garden shed/outbuilding. The electrician originally asked to do this
job has disappeared after partially completing it. He has connected a
roll of SWA via an isolator, but that is as far as he got.

It's a relatively simple matter of running the SWA to a CU in the
outbuilding and putting in some lights and a couple of sockets. The
problem is that the appliances to be installed in there will use about
6kW of power and I'm not sure that the SWA is rated high enough. The run
is a good 25 metres and I can't tell exactly what size the cable is.

Full details of what you need to do are covered he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ub_main_design

However, if you have 6kW of load, that's about 26A total. At 12mV/A/m
voltage drop (if it is 4mm^2) that puts you at about 6.9V at 25m, which
is just about ok. Current carrying capacity is ample for that load.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

ISTR various earlier threads about exporting earths, suitability of
cable armouring for that purpose and local earth rods.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 19:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Yup that's in that article above as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01-Jan-18 6:34 PM, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Very useful information. Thanks for that.

The SWA route to the outbuilding is across some pretty difficult ground,
so burying the cable in places is liable to be quite a problem, any
views on an alternative?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 07:25, Handy Andy wrote:
[...]

It does not have to be buried. It can fixed to any suitable structure
(i.e. preferable not something "temporary" like fence panels). All you
are really attempting to do it keep it out of harms way.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 02/01/2018 07:25, Handy Andy wrote:
On 01-Jan-18 6:34 PM, John Rumm wrote:
However, if you have 6kW of load, that's about 26A total. At 12mV/A/m
voltage drop (if it is 4mm^2) that puts you at about 6.9V at 25m,
which is just about ok. Current carrying capacity is ample for that load.

Very useful information. Thanks for that.

The SWA route to the outbuilding is across some pretty difficult ground,
so burying the cable in places is liable to be quite a problem, any
views on an alternative?

It does not have to be buried. It can fixed to any suitable structure
(i.e. preferable not something "temporary" like fence panels). All you
are really attempting to do it keep it out of harms way.

You could find someone local with compressed air moleing tackle.

Alternatively, if it is only concrete paths or other small obstacles,
you could trench either side and then whack a length of steel water pipe
through with a sledge hammer. Doesn't work too well in Herts. with our
flints!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]