Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shelf life of paint?

Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 16:17:14 UTC, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

They last a lot longer if you store the cans upside down (Prevents air leaks).
Make sure the lids are secure!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Stephen Wrote in message:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.

Emulsions potentially yes.

If spirit based ones ate still liquid they'll likely be ok.

Only real way is to open & inspect - assuming you can/want to use
the colour again...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 16:17:14 UTC, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.

If you can give it a stir it's good to use. If it's a solid block, generally not, though there are exceptions to that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
Stephen Wrote in message:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.

Emulsions potentially yes.

If spirit based ones ate still liquid they'll likely be ok.

Only real way is to open & inspect - assuming you can/want to use
the colour again...

surely you always want to use that tin of magnolia

tim

Member

Very good nice think...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/17 16:17, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.

Unless there is a 'decent' amount in the tin (more than half), I don't
generally keep it. If I do, I store it 'upside down'. Any 'skin' is then
on the 'bottom' when you open it and you tend to get a good seal.

Having said that, we try to avoid storing paint as much as possible. We
do keep a few small 'touch up' pots in case of marks on paint work,
especially when the children were younger. These days, with just us in
the house, accidents are rare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-01, tim... wrote:

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
Stephen Wrote in message:
Hi,

Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not
particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in
there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is the
only way to find out open a tin and give it a stir?

Thanks.
Stephen.

Emulsions potentially yes.

If spirit based ones ate still liquid they'll likely be ok.

Only real way is to open & inspect - assuming you can/want to use
the colour again...

surely you always want to use that tin of magnolia

Which shade of magnolia? Every manufacturers one is different. (

how does that matter

surely the one in *your* garage is that same one that was used to paint
*your* house

tim