Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default freezer repairs?

Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:11:48 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

I'd start with the obvious: is the fuse blown (does the light come on
when you open the door?), does the compressor run?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 16:11:47 UTC, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks,
Stephen.

If it sounds normal and doesn't work, you have lost the refrigerant gas.
That being the case, junk these days.
It could be regassed & the leak fixed but not usually viable moneywise.
Unlkess you know someone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Failure could be thermostat, compressor (inc leaks) or current relay.

Compressor is fairly easy - if it isn't making any running noises and
compressor body is too hot to touch its probably the compressor. No
repair sensible unless you can find a one man band refrigerator repair
man who may do it at £100. Leaks will leave compressor running and
hot but no cooling worth talking about. Not repairable.

Start/current relay plugs into side of compressor and has a few wires
going to it. They are pretty generic Generally fairly cheap for
example http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fridge-freezer-relay. If they fail
you may see signs of black soot/arcing around it. Repair is simply
swapping wires like for like. Might be worth a try if you think the
freezer is otherwise good.

Thermostat can usually be tested by shorting out thermostat contacts
and seeing if it comes back to life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks,
Stephen.

How old is it?
Is the compressor running and hot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in the main its not fixable unless there are individual systems on
freezing and fridge employing thermostats.
That is a very general statement, so somebody will no doubt find a
situation which is able to be fixed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would
not get cold.We had the old freezer as a spare in the
garage, so we were able to use that to save the food.

What is likely to have failed

Most commonly its just iced up and letting it warm up will fix that.

It that doesn't fix it, either the refrigerant has leaked out or the
thermostat has failed if you can still heat the pump working.

or could it just be anything?

Its unlikely that an alien has bit it on the bum.

Are they DIY-repairable

Some faults are, but if you have to ask...

or is it time to buy a new one?

Not if letting it warm up sees it working again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 16:11:47 UTC, Stephen wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had
the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that
to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they
DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks,
Stephen.

You'd need to give us a whole lot more clues than that!

NT