DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/602477-dyson-gtech-other-portable-cleaner.html)

charles January 3rd 18 02:40 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 03/01/18 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
I think convinece is the key here it takes longer to set up the Henry
than it does to clean with the dyson.

I am copmpletely at a loss as to what you have to 'set up' with a Henry...

screw the hose into the machine and then extend the mains lead. and - go to
the van to get it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

whisky-dave[_2_] January 3rd 18 02:45 PM

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 14:35:15 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/01/18 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
I think convinece is the key here it takes longer to set up the Henry than it does to clean with the dyson.

I am copmpletely at a loss as to what you have to 'set up' with a Henry....

You have to carry it to the place, with the hose and the lead then as long as you're hose can reach above chest hieght and then be able to 'suck' up while moving 50ft or more along the bench without having to stop unplug and then move to a near socket.

You see what is key here is convenience not power, unless you can understand that then you'llk always be likely to choose some 3 phase industrial cleaner as they are the best.

It like most products some will buy a 7 seater car to carry their family or friends while others might spend more on a 2 seater sprots car, both have their uses both can be used as transsport devices taking people from A-B but not everyone agrees that thre;s one car on the markeyt that is best for everyone.

Murmansk January 3rd 18 05:43 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

I just bought a small Dyson via Dyson's store on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V6-T...72.m2749.l2649

It's supposedly refurbished but seems like new to me and it's very good. Has a powered brush bar attachment and means it has a much bigger coverage than my previous version - ideal for stairs and really light.

Dave Plowman (News) January 4th 18 11:30 AM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The workman here after covering our windows ceils with brickdust asked
to borrow our dyson portable as they said it was better than their
henry was. I think convinece is the key here it takes longer to set up
the Henry than it does to clean with the dyson.

They saw you coming. Of course they'd rather use a customer's vac than
their own.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

whisky-dave[_2_] January 4th 18 11:44 AM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:32:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The workman here after covering our windows ceils with brickdust asked
to borrow our dyson portable as they said it was better than their
henry was. I think convinece is the key here it takes longer to set up
the Henry than it does to clean with the dyson.

They saw you coming. Of course they'd rather use a customer's vac than
their own.

They wanted to use the vac that was best for the job they wanted to do, they didnlt want to go back into the basement drag their henry up for a few mins cleaning job it just wasnlt efficient way of cleaning the wondow ceils as they found when they previously used their henry it was combersome and slow to use.

Dave Plowman (News) January 4th 18 02:09 PM

whisky-dave wrote:
The workman here after covering our windows ceils with brickdust
asked to borrow our dyson portable as they said it was better than
their henry was. I think convinece is the key here it takes longer
to set up the Henry than it does to clean with the dyson.

They saw you coming. Of course they'd rather use a customer's vac than
their own.

They wanted to use the vac that was best for the job they wanted to do,
they didnlt want to go back into the basement drag their henry up for a
few mins cleaning job it just wasnlt efficient way of cleaning the
wondow ceils as they found when they previously used their henry it was
combersome and slow to use.

You believed them, then? ;-)

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

T i m January 4th 18 03:30 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:43:41 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I just bought a small Dyson via Dyson's store on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V6-T...72.m2749.l2649

It's supposedly refurbished but seems like new to me and it's very good. Has a powered brush bar attachment and means it has a much bigger coverage than my previous version - ideal for stairs and really light.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I noted Aldi are doing the V6 Trigger new for £99 and Dyson were price
matching it but not with the power head and I don't expect they are
cheap to buy separately?

Cheers, T i m

whisky-dave[_2_] January 4th 18 03:33 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 14:15:52 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
The workman here after covering our windows ceils with brickdust
asked to borrow our dyson portable as they said it was better than
their henry was. I think convinece is the key here it takes longer
to set up the Henry than it does to clean with the dyson.

They saw you coming. Of course they'd rather use a customer's vac than
their own.

They wanted to use the vac that was best for the job they wanted to do,
they didnlt want to go back into the basement drag their henry up for a
few mins cleaning job it just wasnlt efficient way of cleaning the
wondow ceils as they found when they previously used their henry it was
combersome and slow to use.

You believed them, then? ;-)

I believe it because it's a fact. The dyson we have is ligher than the Henry.

whisky-dave[_2_] January 5th 18 11:43 AM

wrote:

I just bought a small Dyson via Dyson's store on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V6-T...72.m2749.l2649

It's supposedly refurbished but seems like new to me and it's very good. Has a powered brush bar attachment and means it has a much bigger coverage than my previous version - ideal for stairs and really light.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I noted Aldi are doing the V6 Trigger new for £99 and Dyson were price
matching it but not with the power head and I don't expect they are
cheap to buy separately?

Cheers, T i m

I think you can get them from dyson.
I do find it tricky to empty in that you have to push down on the leaver which opens the bottom and in theory the dust just fails out into the open bin, but I find it gets stuck around the centre and I end uop having to use a pair of scissors, pliers, chopp stick or whatever to coax the dust (which is mostly cat hair) out then it drops in the bin creating a puff of dust.
They filter does need regular cleaning, it might not reduce suction but it does appear to make the motor cut-out, which you can get to coem on again by releasing the trigger and re-pressing.
So I;m n ot sayig the dysons are perfect but they are very handy for smallish scale cleaning which is what a protable vacuum is really designed for.

T i m January 5th 18 12:55 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 03:43:38 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

I noted Aldi are doing the V6 Trigger new for £99 and Dyson were price
matching it but not with the power head and I don't expect they are
cheap to buy separately?

I think you can get them from dyson.

I would have thought you could.

I do find it tricky to empty in that you have to push down on the leaver which opens the bottom and in theory the dust just fails out into the open bin,

I find our V6 easy to empty but I think the Mrs has ejected the whole
bin by mistake a couple of times.

but I find it gets stuck around the centre and I end uop having to use a pair of scissors, pliers, chopp stick or whatever to coax the dust (which is mostly cat hair) out then it drops in the bin creating a puff of dust.

Another reason why I don't like cats. ;-)

They filter does need regular cleaning, it might not reduce suction but it does appear to make the motor cut-out, which you can get to coem on again by releasing the trigger and re-pressing.

We bought a spare filter so we could have one being washed and dried
etc.

So I;m n ot sayig the dysons are perfect

Quite, however they can generally be repaired fairly easily. I even 3D
printed a pair of new wheels for a DC01 I was giving away (because I
can, easily, I know you would just buy them). ;-)

but they are very handy for smallish scale cleaning which is what a protable vacuum is really designed for.

Quite.

As this is for my 87 year old Mum I'm not sure if we should get her
the complete upright V6 kit (like we did) as then she's got all the
options on heads, brushes and may end up using it all over the house,
getting rid of all but the Henry (handy for general / big cleanups).

He main *need* though was something easy for her to use on the stairs
so I think that would be the basic vacuum bit plus one of the motor /
power heads.

I think the full kits are often much better value (although
'expensive' in a cash sense) than even adding one power head to a more
basic unit.

Cheers, T i m

whisky-dave[_2_] January 5th 18 02:45 PM

On Friday, 5 January 2018 12:55:54 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 03:43:38 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

I noted Aldi are doing the V6 Trigger new for £99 and Dyson were price
matching it but not with the power head and I don't expect they are
cheap to buy separately?

I think you can get them from dyson.

I would have thought you could.

To make sure you get the right one yuo need the last 3 digits of the serial number otherwise yuo might end up with the wrong one, there does seems to be slightly differnt models that look similar.

I do find it tricky to empty in that you have to push down on the leaver which opens the bottom and in theory the dust just fails out into the open bin,

I find our V6 easy to empty but I think the Mrs has ejected the whole
bin by mistake a couple of times.

My work one is the V6 fluffy and easier to empty than the one I have.
One of the reasons I've considered upgrading at some point.

but I find it gets stuck around the centre and I end uop having to use a pair of scissors, pliers, chopp stick or whatever to coax the dust (which is mostly cat hair) out then it drops in the bin creating a puff of dust.

Another reason why I don't like cats. ;-)

But it's not their fault or you could get one of those hairless cats.

They filter does need regular cleaning, it might not reduce suction but it does appear to make the motor cut-out, which you can get to coem on again by releasing the trigger and re-pressing.

We bought a spare filter so we could have one being washed and dried
etc.

Yep I should have done that an perhpas a spare battery.

So I;m n ot sayig the dysons are perfect

Quite, however they can generally be repaired fairly easily. I even 3D
printed a pair of new wheels for a DC01 I was giving away (because I
can, easily, I know you would just buy them). ;-)

Did you design the wheels yourself or download a file from somewhere.
I'd do it too depending on the time and cost, but I wouldn;t buy a 3D printer to do it.

but they are very handy for smallish scale cleaning which is what a protable vacuum is really designed for.

Quite.

As this is for my 87 year old Mum I'm not sure if we should get her
the complete upright V6 kit (like we did) as then she's got all the
options on heads, brushes and may end up using it all over the house,
getting rid of all but the Henry (handy for general / big cleanups).

For some with artheritus or other such problems might restrict them changing the heads so she might just stick to whatever attchmetn you leave on it.

He main *need* though was something easy for her to use on the stairs
so I think that would be the basic vacuum bit plus one of the motor /
power heads.

Yes aviod the long pipe, I used to have a dustdevil fopr stairs that was really good and powerful but after a carpet tack got sucked up and caused some sparking in the brush head, just it gettign stuck and as it was metal made a right racket too, and the drive belt snapped, and even when it was working I still needed and extention lead for the stairs, so it wass really the stairs and the occasion biscuit crumbs and ash tray upsets that make a portable worth while for me.

I think the full kits are often much better value (although
'expensive' in a cash sense) than even adding one power head to a more
basic unit.

True but I tend to use just two heads, one I've never used.

Cheers, T i m

T i m January 5th 18 05:13 PM

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 06:45:27 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 5 January 2018 12:55:54 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 03:43:38 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

I noted Aldi are doing the V6 Trigger new for £99 and Dyson were price
matching it but not with the power head and I don't expect they are
cheap to buy separately?

I think you can get them from dyson.

I would have thought you could.

To make sure you get the right one yuo need the last 3 digits of the serial number otherwise yuo might end up with the wrong one, there does seems to be slightly differnt models that look similar.

I did note that some bits (power heads) looked like they may not work
on all versions of say V6?

I do find it tricky to empty in that you have to push down on the leaver which opens the bottom and in theory the dust just fails out into the open bin,

I find our V6 easy to empty but I think the Mrs has ejected the whole
bin by mistake a couple of times.

My work one is the V6 fluffy and easier to empty than the one I have.

I thought the main bodies of say the V6 would be the same, apparently
not.

One of the reasons I've considered upgrading at some point.

Something you need to consider carefully knowing how expensive they
are. ;-(

but I find it gets stuck around the centre and I end uop having to use a pair of scissors, pliers, chopp stick or whatever to coax the dust (which is mostly cat hair) out then it drops in the bin creating a puff of dust.

Another reason why I don't like cats. ;-)

But it's not their fault or you could get one of those hairless cats.

Or a short haired dog. ;-)

They filter does need regular cleaning, it might not reduce suction but it does appear to make the motor cut-out, which you can get to coem on again by releasing the trigger and re-pressing.

We bought a spare filter so we could have one being washed and dried
etc.

Yep I should have done that an perhpas a spare battery.

You can't swap the batteries out though can you?

So I;m n ot sayig the dysons are perfect

Quite, however they can generally be repaired fairly easily. I even 3D
printed a pair of new wheels for a DC01 I was giving away (because I
can, easily, I know you would just buy them). ;-)

Did you design the wheels yourself or download a file from somewhere.

Designed myself. They are circular and took longer to measure than
design. ;-)

I'd do it too depending on the time and cost, but I wouldn;t buy a 3D printer to do it.

Nor would I. So how come you generally *don't* print such things then?

but they are very handy for smallish scale cleaning which is what a protable vacuum is really designed for.

Quite.

As this is for my 87 year old Mum I'm not sure if we should get her
the complete upright V6 kit (like we did) as then she's got all the
options on heads, brushes and may end up using it all over the house,
getting rid of all but the Henry (handy for general / big cleanups).

For some with artheritus or other such problems might restrict them changing the heads so she might just stick to whatever attchmetn you leave on it.

Noted.

He main *need* though was something easy for her to use on the stairs
so I think that would be the basic vacuum bit plus one of the motor /
power heads.

Yes aviod the long pipe, I used to have a dustdevil fopr stairs that was really good and powerful but after a carpet tack got sucked up and caused some sparking in the brush head, just it gettign stuck and as it was metal made a right racket too, and the drive belt snapped, and even when it was working I still needed and extention lead for the stairs, so it wass really the stairs and the occasion biscuit crumbs and ash tray upsets that make a portable worth while for me.

Ok.

I think the full kits are often much better value (although
'expensive' in a cash sense) than even adding one power head to a more
basic unit.

True but I tend to use just two heads, one I've never used.

I think we just use the wider power head on the floors and the
narrower one on furniture and the cars etc. We also use the round
hairy nozzle for cleaning things and cleaning up bits and the crevice
tool for ... well, crevices. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Dave Plowman (News) January 9th 18 02:45 PM

whisky-dave wrote:
They wanted to use the vac that was best for the job they wanted to
do, they didnlt want to go back into the basement drag their henry
up for a few mins cleaning job it just wasnlt efficient way of
cleaning the wondow ceils as they found when they previously used
their henry it was combersome and slow to use.

You believed them, then? ;-)

I believe it because it's a fact. The dyson we have is ligher than the
Henry.

Absolutely anything is 'lighter' when it's the customer's and to hand, not
left back at the van.

Would you lend your own tools to a contractor at home?

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.