Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default connectors for GU10 led replacement from 12v + transformer

I have had 6 50W 12v halogen GU5.3 downlighters in one room for years.

I am replacing them with LEDs. But I don't think the transformers I have will cope with the very low current draw from each LED.

So I am planning to replace them with 240v GU10s instead, bypassing the need for transformers.

I want to do this neatly and safely. I have new GU10 connectors, these have a simple 2 pole chocolate box on the end. I can directly remove the transformers, and wire these direct to the mains lighting cable in the ceiling.

But I want to do this neatly/safely. so I need to cover the choclate boxes. I could just use insulation tape, but that does not meet neatly/safely.

I am considering usings these 5A inline connectors:

blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/IJOJG"a href="//imgur.com/IJOJG"/a/blockquotescript async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"/script

They all emphasise 'flex' rather than cable. Is this an issue? Are they suitable/appropriate, or is there something more 'standard/recommended? I need them small enough to feed through the MR16 holes in the ceiling.

As an aside. Why do people use 12v downlighters (with the added expense of the transformers) when 230V appears to be fine?

Neal