DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using Gridwall in the kitchen (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/601957-using-gridwall-kitchen.html)

Clive Arthur December 17th 17 03:15 PM

Using Gridwall in the kitchen

SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'. OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

Cheers
--
Clive

[email protected] December 17th 17 07:00 PM

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'. OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

Cheers

It will certainly rust if not protected. There's always clear epoxy.

NT

newshound December 17th 17 08:15 PM

On 17/12/2017 19:00, wrote:
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'. OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

Cheers

It will certainly rust if not protected. There's always clear epoxy.

NT

Yes but would you actually notice? Perhaps you can find little
caps/sleeves to suit? (Not sure what the diameter is). Or sleeve the cut
ends with a little length of black sticky heat shrink?

Clive Arthur December 18th 17 08:40 AM

On 17/12/2017 19:00, wrote:
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'. OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

Cheers

It will certainly rust if not protected. There's always clear epoxy.

NT

I could tin the cuts I suppose. I wonder if that would help?

Cheers
--
Clive

Chris J Dixon December 18th 17 10:10 AM

wrote:

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'. OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

It will certainly rust if not protected. There's always clear epoxy.

I had to cut down some steel bolts for a fitting inside my
touring caravan. More in hope than expectation, I put a dob of
clear varnish (as I had some on the shelf) on the ends, and they
have so far lasted 10 years without any sign of corrosion.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

newshound December 18th 17 10:24 AM

On 18/12/2017 08:40, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 17/12/2017 19:00, wrote:
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive ArthurÂ* wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.

It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2'
square and the smallest panel I can find is 2' x 4'.Â* OK, that's easy,
but I'm a little concerned about rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

Should I be concerned, is there something unobtrusive to treat the cuts
with, or is there a stainless version?

Cheers

It will certainly rust if not protected. There's always clear epoxy.

NT

I could tin the cuts I suppose.Â* I wonder if that would help?

Cheers

You might find that difficult, varnish would be easier.

[email protected] December 19th 17 09:52 AM

Using Gridwall in the kitchen

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 15:15:59 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and
small pots.... rust where the cuts would be in a
sometimes steamy kitchen.

It'll probably last long enough until she changes her mind.

Owain