Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MCB tripping and not switching off power

A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was
still on.

So a long trip to the DB only to find the MCB HAD tripped - well it was
in the off position.

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all
the lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in the
dark).

Never seen that one before. I have seen plenty of MCBs in the ON
position not letting power through but never this way around.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 08:23:08 UTC, ARW wrote:
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was
still on.

So a long trip to the DB only to find the MCB HAD tripped - well it was
in the off position.

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all
the lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in the
dark).

Never seen that one before. I have seen plenty of MCBs in the ON
position not letting power through but never this way around.

--
Adam

Points/contacts welded together??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 08:23:08 UTC, ARW wrote:
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Working live, naughty boy!

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all
the lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in
the dark).

Ah! You can now sell them some emergency lighting. Not sure how you'll fit it without turning the power off ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2017 08:23, ARW wrote:
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was
still on.

So a long trip to the DB only to find the MCB HAD tripped - well it was
in the off position.

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all
the lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in the
dark).

Never seen that one before. I have seen plenty of MCBs in the ON
position not letting power through but never this way around.

every problem is an opportunity

- sell them current injection testing of all their DBs (at premium
evening/weekend rates to avoid disruption of business)

- report to Electrical Safety First and suggest they lobby for current
injection testing to be made part of compulsory quinquennial EICRs
(gives you more work in future years - though best if you have an
apprentice to carry the kit if it's still like the only set I ever saw
in action)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 08:23:04 +0000, ARW
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was
still on.

So a long trip to the DB only to find the MCB HAD tripped - well it was
in the off position.

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all
the lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in the
dark).

Never seen that one before. I have seen plenty of MCBs in the ON
position not letting power through but never this way around.

Counterfeit MCB?
Wylex model that was subject to a recall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbyTHlx4tQM
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2017 18:33, Graham. wrote:
[...]

MEM 1980's installation.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and touched
the earthed light fitting.

Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was still
on.

So a long trip to the DB only to find the MCB HAD tripped - well it was in
the off position.

I turned the MCB back on and then off and it killed the power (and all the
lights in reception leaving some very unhappy looking people in the dark).

Never seen that one before. I have seen plenty of MCBs in the ON position
not letting power through but never this way around.

Obviously made in china.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 02:24:12 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 08:23:08 UTC, ARW wrote:
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and
touched the earthed light fitting.

Working live, naughty boy!

Those of us with special training are permitted to do that. :-)

Tumble dryer tripping MCB Pandora UK diy 6 January 12th 08 08:09 PM
Sunvic programmer tripping Mains MCB; likely culprit? jkn UK diy 0 November 6th 06 09:20 AM
Gas oven tripping MCB Lobster UK diy 1 July 3rd 06 07:57 PM
Electric Shower tripping MCB smb UK diy 55 January 23rd 04 07:14 PM
Lighting circuits and MCB's tripping StephenC UK diy 6 December 10th 03 01:45 PM