Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default OT. Why you get Dehli Belly on cruise ships

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 12:27:06 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 06-Dec-17 11:40 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 10:18:43 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 06-Dec-17 9:42 AM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Nightjar wrote in news:HpqdnSWZvuLHJLrHnZ2dnUU7-
:

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep38790

Toilet door handles scare me. Do they ever get cleaned?

I know of an unpublished trial on bioburden in lavatories, carried out
by a pharmaceutical company. The results were broadly in agreement with
the article I posted. The bioburden on the handles on the way out was
found to be negligible, as most people washed their hands before
leaving. The handles on the way in had higher bioburdens, although still
no more than the general environment. However, they used well maintained
roller towels, which, with paper towels, are more effective at removing
bioburden than hot air hand dryers.

That's probbaly why the new graduate centre costing about £50 million have installed hot air blowers and auto on lights that are left on 24/7

Hot air hand dryers cost less to maintain.

I thought they were there to clean hands rather than get an administator a promotion, any ideas why they installed auto on/off lights in the toilets, then in less than two months have decided to leave them on 24/7 probbaly 365 too
is that also so they cost less to maintain ?

Nah, fed up of lights going out 1/2
way thru a big dump ?? :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06-Dec-17 3:10 PM, jim wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 12:27:06 UTC, Nightjar wrote:

Hot air hand dryers cost less to maintain.

I thought they were there to clean hands rather than get an administator a promotion,

They are they to dry hands. Washing them is the stage at which they get
cleaned. However, it appears that the mechanical action of wiping with a
towel not only dries the hands, but also wipes off a few more bacteria.
IIRC, the study suggested that using paper towels removed a bit over 90%
of the bioburden, while using hot air dryers accounted for only about 85%.

any ideas why they installed auto on/off lights in the toilets, then in less than two months have decided to leave them on 24/7 probbaly 365 too
is that also so they cost less to maintain ?

Nah, fed up of lights going out 1/2
way thru a big dump ?? :-)

Almost certainly. The cubicles are often not in line of sight from the
detector, so even waving your hands in the air from time to time doesn't
help.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/17 15:10, jim wrote:
Nah, fed up of lights going out 1/2
way thru a big dump ??:-)

fed up WITH jim...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 16:48:36 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 06-Dec-17 3:10 PM, jim wrote:

snip

Nah, fed up of lights going out 1/2
way thru a big dump ?? :-)

Almost certainly. The cubicles are often not in line of sight from the
detector, so even waving your hands in the air from time to time doesn't
help.

With the advent of low energy lighting, I wonder how much advantage
occupancy switching has re energy saving?

Similarly, given you could probably ensure the light stayed on long
enough to cover everyone's needs (assuming the sensor could be set
that long etc), there is a good chance that they could still save some
energy given that it would probably be on all the time 'anyway' during
office hours and not on at all weekend (so a saving of 5/7ths,
compared with on all the time?).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I've just bought a plug-in 360 Deg IR sensor lamp holder to see
if it could work in our toilet and possibly the hall and landing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 06/12/17 15:10, jim wrote:
Nah, fed up of lights going out 1/2
way thru a big dump ??:-)

fed up WITH jim...