Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Junk story

Yesterday, my manager decided she would help by replacing a kitchen
light bulb over the kitchen work surface. The lampshade is held on by 3
stupid screws. She detached the glass shade without breaking it and
after replacing the bulb proceeded to screw the shade back up. The screw
have about 5 turns so if you undo them slightly too much, the damn
things fall out. This of course happened. She now knows that if you drop
a screw 3ft from an uncovered sink that it will always fall down the
plug hole.Having recovered her poise and belatedly covered the sink, I
was now stuck with the problem of finding her a new screw. (No Adam, not
that sort!) Anyway, I thought IKEA lampshade, it must be metric. Wrong
again, nothing metric would fit. Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I
have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the
screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact
replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2017 20:28, jim wrote:
Capitol Wrote in message:
[...]

Presumably the original screw is still sat in the sink's waste trap?

No need to cover the sink. Just put the plug into the hole!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Capitol Wrote in message:
[...]

Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Yesterday, my manager decided she would help by replacing a kitchen
light bulb over the kitchen work surface. The lampshade is held on by 3
stupid screws. She detached the glass shade without breaking it and
after replacing the bulb proceeded to screw the shade back up. The screw
Â*have about 5 turns so if you undo them slightly too much, the damn
things fall out. This of course happened. She now knows that if you drop
a screw 3ft from an uncovered sink that it will always fall down the
plug hole.Having recovered her poise and belatedly covered the sink, I
was now stuck with the problem of finding her a new screw. (No Adam, not
that sort!) Anyway, I thought IKEA lampshade, it must be metric. Wrong
again, nothing metric would fit. Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I
have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the
screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact
replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!

If it is the usual pressed steel or aluminium mount, self tappers are
often another option. As long as you have the right length, or the
"touch" not to break the glass!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
On 04/12/2017 20:28, jim wrote:
Capitol Wrote in message:
[...]

And that approach makes it easier to find the screw if it does fall in the
sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"ARW" wrote in message
news
On 04/12/2017 20:28, jim wrote:
Capitol Wrote in message:
[...]

Even you should know where it is & how to get it out, & that's
saying something...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote:

Yesterday, my manager decided she would help by replacing a kitchen

[snip]

replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!

And now with just one anecdote you can justify the whole collection and
its keeping, and SWMBO can't argue ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 December 2017 20:05:47 UTC, Capitol wrote:
[...]

Every DIYer has tins full of odd screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed it is, but sadly I've lost a lot of mine when I had some sheds
removed that had about reached falling over status.

Its really annoying when you cannot find a 5 foot bit of wire or a 4BA screw
when you need one.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote:
Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I
have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the
screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact
replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!

Not Junk. Resource!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 8:10:12 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes indeed it is, but sadly I've lost a lot of mine when I had some sheds
removed that had about reached falling over status.

Its really annoying when you cannot find a 5 foot bit of wire or a 4BA screw
when you need one.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

in response to the wise after the event comments about recovering the screw from the trap personally I wouild prefer to root around for a replacement rather than crawl under the sink, remove all the cleaning materials,end up with a sleeve full of water and the mop up the mess
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

fred Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 8:10:12 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes indeed it is, but sadly I've lost a lot of mine when I had some sheds
removed that had about reached falling over status.

Its really annoying when you cannot find a 5 foot bit of wire or a 4BA screw
when you need one.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

PPPPPP
;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 04/12/2017 20:28, jim wrote:
Capitol Wrote in message:
[...]

No plug for this sink hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:05:44 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I
have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the
screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact
replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!

Alteratively, you could have found a small neodymium magnet stuck to a metal
plate with a small hole, as salvaged form and old hard drive, tied two foot of
string to it (from a spool of 16 miles of fine thread), dropped it down the
sink, and hauled out the screw.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Thomas Prufer Wrote in message:
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:05:44 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I
have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the
screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact
replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without
dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!

Alteratively, you could have found a small neodymium magnet stuck to a metal
plate with a small hole, as salvaged form and old hard drive, tied two foot of
string to it (from a spool of 16 miles of fine thread), dropped it down the
sink, and hauled out the screw.

Thomas Prufer

Assuming the screw was made of something magnet-able yes.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 20:11:57 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Okay, so its only slightly magnetic, so probably not enough to pick up a
screw with a magnet.

The point of my post was not whether the screw was magnetic or not, but that any
junk/tool collection of any size worth having would allow several ways of
solving the problem:

a) find a replacement screw
b) find a broken lamp with a replacement screw to salvage
c) find a small powerful magnet and something to thread it into the siphon
through the plughole
d) find an endoscope and endoscopic operating equipment to retrieve the screw
e) find a spare gasket for the siphon once you open it up anyway and the old one
disintegrates
f) use a lathe to recreate the screw from scratch
g) use a tap to change the size of the screw need to match one you have
h) make a spring-loaded clip to replace the screw from salvaged parts
i) defer solving the problem while pondering the optimal solution
etc. etc.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 09:16:58 UTC, Thomas Prufer wrote:
[...]

I certainly agree with the principle, but how many of us have 'an endoscope and endoscopic operating equipment' in our tools?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 12:07:15 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Ask any proctologist :-)