Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HP Laserjet printer output with vertical stripe

Any ideas what's causing this very specific problem? I'm guessing it must
be a fairly cut-and-dried issue, but Google isn't helping. Everything looks
clean inside the printer and I've given the cart a good shake (which
concludes my knowledge about printer servicing)

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

I'm still thinking toner cartridge?; it's an original HP one off ebay, only
fitted a few weeks ago (and they usually last me over a year); that said,
as these printers were obsolete years ago, although the cartridge pack was
sealed, it must be pretty old too - I don't know how well they keep
(there's no date).

Thanks for any tips
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:05:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Any ideas what's causing this very specific problem? I'm guessing it
must be a fairly cut-and-dried issue, but Google isn't helping.
Everything looks clean inside the printer and I've given the cart a good
shake (which concludes my knowledge about printer servicing)

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

I'm still thinking toner cartridge?; it's an original HP one off ebay,
only fitted a few weeks ago (and they usually last me over a year); that
said, as these printers were obsolete years ago, although the cartridge
pack was sealed, it must be pretty old too - I don't know how well they
keep (there's no date).

I would say the drum in the toner cartridge. It can happen. My manual
says the same.

I have a 4M+ (very similar) - in fact, I have eight.

I got some smearing on the main one a couple of weeks ago, but the toner
was nearly out, so I changed it. The smearing got worse, mainly vertical
stuff although not as well defined as yours - that was with a new
cartridge. I thought it might be the transfer roller (old cartridge might
have voided toner over it) so I changed that - no difference.

I got a spare fuser out, but thought I'd just try another 'new' cartridge
first. Bingo! All absolutely fine.

I think some of the ones off eBay get badly treated and are internally
damaged. I don't mind; I buy two or three at a time and reckon that if
one is occasionally duff (and it's happened before) I am still winning
compared to the cost of a new cartridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

Thin black lines tend to be either scored drum, or dirty corona wire,
but not sure what would cause a thick grey stripe like that ... is it
even? any corresponding mark on the drum? does it correspond to width of
any rollers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/12/2017 13:05, Lobster wrote:
Any ideas what's causing this very specific problem? I'm guessing it must
be a fairly cut-and-dried issue, but Google isn't helping. Everything looks
clean inside the printer and I've given the cart a good shake (which
concludes my knowledge about printer servicing)

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

I'm still thinking toner cartridge?; it's an original HP one off ebay, only
fitted a few weeks ago (and they usually last me over a year); that said,
as these printers were obsolete years ago, although the cartridge pack was
sealed, it must be pretty old too - I don't know how well they keep
(there's no date).

Thanks for any tips
David

It's the blade inside the toner cartridge that wipes off excess toner (I
think!). Anyway, a new cartridge will solve your problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2017 13:05, Lobster wrote:
Any ideas what's causing this very specific problem? I'm guessing it must
be a fairly cut-and-dried issue, but Google isn't helping. Everything looks
clean inside the printer and I've given the cart a good shake (which
concludes my knowledge about printer servicing)

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

I'm still thinking toner cartridge?; it's an original HP one off ebay, only
fitted a few weeks ago (and they usually last me over a year); that said,
as these printers were obsolete years ago, although the cartridge pack was
sealed, it must be pretty old too - I don't know how well they keep
(there's no date).

Try cleaning that corresponding edge of the photo conductive drum in the
cartridge with IPA solvent. Use a soft cloth, and try not to expose it
to too much light.

(print quality issues with old (even if "new" old stock) drums are not
uncommon alas)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:05:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

If it is a physical indentation on the paper it is usually the silicon
rubber roller in the fuser which has become scored. If you can see up
the paper outlet you may be able to see a mark on it.

You can get replacement fuser units but they are not cheap. EG
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-LaserJet.../dp/B00N0W51JU
https://printertree.co.uk/hp-4-5-fuser-unit-refurbished

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

If it is a physical indentation on the paper it is usually the silicon
rubber roller in the fuser which has become scored. If you can see up
the paper outlet you may be able to see a mark on it.

You can get replacement fuser units but they are not cheap. EG
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-LaserJet.../dp/B00N0W51JU
https://printertree.co.uk/hp-4-5-fuser-unit-refurbished

I replaced the fuser on my LJ5 about 10 years ago. Since then, it was
barely used. When I decided to end my relationship with the printer
(after over 20 years), I tried selling it but there were no takers. The
secondhand fuser sold on ebay for around £20, though.

The rest went in the bin, which was a great shame, as it had only done
70k prints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/17 14:55, GB wrote:
The rest went in the bin, which was a great shame, as it had only done
70k prints.

When I looked at a 'gift' of a parallel port lasterjet, i calculated the
electricity cost of leaving it on semi permanenetly and the
onconmvenienet of a parralel cxable and threw it in the skip...

renewable energy has driven up selectricity costs so much that it is
cost effective to spend money on LED bulbs and printers and TVs that
will 'go idle' and evcen sweitch themselves off.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 15:17:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 01/12/17 14:55, GB wrote:
The rest went in the bin, which was a great shame, as it had only done
70k prints.

When I looked at a 'gift' of a parallel port lasterjet, i calculated the
electricity cost of leaving it on semi permanenetly and the
onconmvenienet of a parralel cxable and threw it in the skip...

Network cards are easy to come by. The wall behind the printer has eight
network ports...

As for leaving it on, I don't. I have a remote controlled 'plug' with the
remote on my desk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01/12/17 14:55, GB wrote:
The rest went in the bin, which was a great shame, as it had only done
70k prints.

When I looked at a 'gift' of a parallel port lasterjet, i calculated the
electricity cost of leaving it on semi permanenetly and the
onconmvenienet of a parralel cxable and threw it in the skip...

Precisely why I had decided to part company with it.

renewable energy has driven up selectricity costs so much that it is
cost effective to spend money on LED bulbs and printers and TVs that
will 'go idle' and evcen sweitch themselves off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cannot see picture, but the laser printer is basically a Xerox machine with
a different way to eletrostatically charge the paper.
common faults are.
Damage to the drum, part of the toner cart on most HPs, usually green.
Coroner wire whiskers. These are the wires that carry the high voltage near
the drum. Often platinum and can grow whiskers or erode in time due to
coronal effects.
Damage to other parts , like heated roller that fixes the toner by
melting it to the paper.

I don't have much experience of what stock faults there are in your printer,
but the only time I had it a bit it was near the end of a toner cart.
cleaned everything and replaced with a compatible one and all was sweetness
and light again.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2017 13:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise blank
printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient B&W HP
LaserJet 5.

Thin black lines tend to be either scored drum, or dirty corona wire,
but not sure what would cause a thick grey stripe like that ... is it
even? any corresponding mark on the drum? does it correspond to width of
any rollers?

On a laser jet 4 and perhaps 5 (and possibly a few other models) there
was a brush for cleaning (maybe not a corona wire). It was clipped to
the inside of the toner cover (plastic in a contrasting green or blue
colour) and it was shaped to fit into a slot in the printer or toner
cartridge. From memory, the brush was inserted into the slot and moved
back and forth a few times over the whole width of the cartridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Lobster, Iggy wrote:
It's the Toner Cartridge that's gone bad and is laying out too much toner.
You'll only need a new Toner Cartridge. If you want free Toner Cartridges
forever, then only buy Verbatim Cartridges. They're good for about 2/3rd's of
their life and Verbatim honors the Lifetime Warranty with a new cartridge
endlessly. Just fax or email them a picture like yours and they shoot out a
new cartridge.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1253907-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Picture at: https://i.imgur.com/aoyaXPv.jpg (this is an otherwise
blank printed page of A4; text etc prints fine). Printer is an ancient
B&W HP LaserJet 5.

Thin black lines tend to be either scored drum, or dirty corona wire,
but not sure what would cause a thick grey stripe like that ... is it
even? any corresponding mark on the drum? does it correspond to width
of any rollers?

On a laser jet 4 and perhaps 5 (and possibly a few other models) there
was a brush for cleaning (maybe not a corona wire). It was clipped to
the inside of the toner cover (plastic in a contrasting green or blue
colour) and it was shaped to fit into a slot in the printer or toner
cartridge. From memory, the brush was inserted into the slot and moved
back and forth a few times over the whole width of the cartridge.

That's right. Green one. I still have them on mine.

No slot as such - just run it along the teeth; do it when changing toner.
Unfortunately made no difference at all last time - turned out to be the
new (eBay) toner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec 2017 15:32:29 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

When I looked at a 'gift' of a parallel port lasterjet, i

calculated
the electricity cost of leaving it on semi permanenetly and the
onconmvenienet of a parralel cxable and threw it in the skip...

Network cards are easy to come by. The wall behind the printer has eight
network ports...

Or evem parrallel or USB print servers.

As for leaving it on, I don't.

I've just returned to service a HP LJ1200 with an TP Link ethernet to
USB printer server. The combination of print server and printer may
well consume more power than the colour Laserjet. However 99.9% of
our printing is monochrome and the colour Laserjet "self tests" at
least once a day and the colour toner levels slowly fall. You can buy
*a lot* of electricity for the cost of a set CYMK toner
cartridges....

I have a remote controlled 'plug' with the remote on my desk.

Now that's an idea but I'm not the only one to use the printer. It
would be "too complicated".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 00:28:23 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

It's just SWMBO and I. The remote is midway between us (we have facing
desks).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Facing desks, LMFAO.
That must be the funny of the night (besides Dave).