Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating Inside a Conservatory Roof

I have seen a few videos on YouTube about insulating inside a
conservatory roof and the process loooks very simple whether using a
PIR thermal insulation board or a multi-layer foil material with
varying efficiencies.

I understand the need to ensure there is an air-tight seal between the
inside of the conservatory and the roof void but I heard mention on
one video with a complany 'offering' to install insulation of a need
to ventilate between the void and the outside world; when asked how
did he do that he said that was his secret. Firstly, is that required
and if so what might his 'secret be'?

I would be interested to hear from folk who have either installed
their own or (don't be shy) paid for it to be done about experiences
of benefits, especially in winter.

I am intending to DIY the job on my 4x5 Edwardian conservatory. At
present I am torn betwen the ease of using a multifoil product on
battens comapred to the lower cost and proabably greater effectiveness
of PIR foam boards.

Thanks
Mike
--

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

great Idea ...cutting off daylight to the inner room .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

T'would also make the room useful all year round.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

what is the point of having daylight regulations or inner rooms and
insulation regulations for heated rooms if you go and do this ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 08:13:52 UTC, wrote:
[...]

That last bit is easy: forget multifoils. They are poor insulators IRL.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well he obviously is OK with that, but what is the answer. I can remember in
a house about five years ago I kept hearing this crackling noise, oh says
the owner ignore it its the foil in the conservatory roof. This did not
sound like a very well done job unless this was the 'ventilation' mentioned
in the earlier post!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:06:28 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you for your concern Jim but you are presuming there is a window
to an internal room, there isn't. In this particualar installation
access is via a unglazed door and there are no internal windows where
a previous owner of the house added this 'conservatory' as an art
studio but because of big temperature changes rarely used it in
winter.

There is no use of the house central heating, the outside world is
effectively heated from underfloor electric heating that goes straight
through the tri-wall roof and does precious little for the inside of
the structure.

Mike

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Mike

We had a double glazed conservatory roof replaced last Spring. The previous owners had it built and it was an integral addition on a bedroom in that there was no divider between it and the room and it shared the heating. It definitely did not comply with current regs. Like you we found in the winter once the heating went into maintenance mode that room rapidly lost heat and for sitting in purposes became uncomfortable. In Summer it became unbearably hot due to it facing South and impossible to use a computer screen not to mention getting the equivalent of snow blindness after any prolonged use..

Over the Summer the effect was instantaneous the room was much more comfortable and usable. Some of the benefit resulted from installing window blinds which were pointless with the previous roof. We could have had roof blinds for the previous roof but the quotes we got were astronomical.

So far this Winter I have been monitoring the temperatures today being the coldest day so far and the temperature difference has been at worst around 1deg.C between this room and the room with the room stat. So I think we are on a winner considering the amount of Windows remaining.

As far as loss of light I feel it is negligible the ceiling painted white helps reflect light. I would say those areas of the room such as shaded corners previously are a smidge shadier. Regards ventilation they installed two additional vents through a framework on top of the window frames replacing some room vents that sat under the double glazed roof. The other venting were eaves vents which sit directly under the tiles and vent the space between them and the breathable membrane. I did note they left gaps in the lath work to enable a through put of air.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky posted
Hi Mike

We had a double glazed conservatory roof replaced last Spring.

What did you replace it with?

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 16:47:15 UTC, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tricky Dicky posted
Hi Mike

We had a double glazed conservatory roof replaced last Spring.

What did you replace it with?

--
Jack

Hi Jack

It was replaced with a light weight tiled and insulated roof

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2017 21:13, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Thursday, 30 November 2017 16:47:15 UTC, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tricky Dicky posted
Hi Mike

We had a double glazed conservatory roof replaced last Spring.

What did you replace it with?

--
Jack

Hi Jack

It was replaced with a light weight tiled and insulated roof

Richard

Since there is no thermal element separating conservatory from
bedroom, this is notifiable work (*) and needed a building regs
application.

You may some awkward questions to answer when the time comes
to sell.

(*) Has been the case since Oct 2006.