Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How to, small drill bit.

I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/11/2017 20:52, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

Thanks for that I wasnt aware of those.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Just wrap the drill shank in insulation tape and clamp the chuck down on
that. It will be good enough for that job.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

I use a dremel pin chuck that goes down to 0.3mm.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

Thanks for that I wasnt aware of those.

You can also get a pin chuck or pin vice to take very small drill bits.
Possibly the disadvantage they position the drill tip quite a way from
the drill body that you are holding.

Small drills bits can break very easily when the drill is hand held and
there is a sideways movement.

Example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PC-PIN-VICE-DRILL-CHUCK-SET-JEWELLERY-MAKING-WATCH-REPAIR-MODEL-CRAFT-0-4-8mm/380841283565?epid=892321858&hash=item58abe8cfed:g: zH8AAOSwGJlZL~IA

or

https://tinyurl.com/y7a6deps

Depending on how you can hold the workpiece there is also

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Archimedes-Twist-Drill-20pc-Micro-HSS-Bits-Jewellery-Watch-Repair-Model-Craft/1092077900?iid=271347197152&_trkparms=aid%3D555018 %26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49481%26meid%3D1 81cc58971e143d6be84384aec11a9b2%26pid%3D100005%26r k%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D380841283565&_ trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

https://tinyurl.com/y8azlsf3

for slow hand drilling

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

I once had an adapter for very small drill bits. Basically a manually
operated threaded taper chuck with a parallel shank to fit in your drill
chuck.
Sadly one of the 4 jaws fractured which sent it to the bin:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 29/11/2017 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat
the retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin
to use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.
Any suggestions?

I use a dremel pin chuck that goes down to 0.3mm.

I see Machine Mart do a pin vice set for very little money.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I use a dremel pin chuck that goes down to 0.3mm.

The tool-less dremel chuck I have (as an alternative to the collet
chuck) doesn't go much below 1mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/11/2017 21:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I use a dremel pin chuck that goes down to 0.3mm.

The tool-less dremel chuck I have (as an alternative to the collet
chuck) doesn't go much below 1mm

I have a few of the drill bits and cant think there will be much use for
them so can afford to break a few so will try a couple wrapped in tape
first and see how that goes.
If that fails having checked on ebay the next cheapest option will be
buying a new buckle for the strap, but DIY is 1st priority.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 21:06, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/11/2017 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat
the retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Just wrap the drill shank in insulation tape and clamp the chuck down on
that. It will be good enough for that job.

SteveW

1+

Yes, it will. No need to overcomplicate things.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 20:37:43 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.

Mine did that and I repaired it temporarily with a piece of spring
steel with the ends bent into a loop. Only lasted about 3 years. ;-)

The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.

Mine was the hole in the side of the clasp had worn oversize so the
spring pin would pass though.

I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

I think I went for a 1.2 mm diameter long pin that had a slotted head
and the other end was internally threaded to take a matching machine
screw.

I just dressed the shank of the pin down slightly to the same width as
the clasp and put the screw in with a tiny drop of Loctite.

It's been fine ever since. ;-)

As mentioned elsewhere I bought and used a 'pin drill' and that held
the bit pretty well and it was very easy to take though by hand.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 20:37:50 UTC, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

wrap wire round the bit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:55:48 +0000
ss wrote:

I have a few of the drill bits and cant think there will be much use
for them so can afford to break a few

Until one breaks off flush and you can't get it out ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I use a dremel pin chuck that goes down to 0.3mm.

The tool-less dremel chuck I have (as an alternative to the collet
chuck) doesn't go much below 1mm

I have a few of the drill bits and cant think there will be much use for
them so can afford to break a few so will try a couple wrapped in tape
first and see how that goes.

Be careful - once you get a hardened steel drill stuck in a job after
snapping it is the devils own job to get it out again - depending
exactly where it snaps but in this case my expectation would be almost
flush with the surface of the workpiece.

If that fails having checked on ebay the next cheapest option will be
buying a new buckle for the strap, but DIY is 1st priority.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

Thanks for that I wasnt aware of those.

Your problem is that handheld you will snap the drill as soon as it
starts to cut. The small diameter drill can only really cope with
cutting metal if it is running dead true and in a drill press.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 20:37:43 +0000, ss wrote:

I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

You can get Dremel collets that go down that low.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

ss wrote:

I have a few of the drill bits and cant think there will be much use
for them so can afford to break a few

Until one breaks off flush and you can't get it out ...

That shouldnt be an issue as the current depth is only about 1mm and I
want to take it to about 2mm. More likely to fall out than get stuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Fit one of the smaller sets of jaws that come with dremel type machines
so it can grip the drill.

My cheap lidl one comes with five and will easily hold a 0.2mm drill
with the smallest and take the bigger shaft sizes with the others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I used to have a set of thick shank tiny drills. I can confirm how
breakable they are. You certainly need a good rigid drill platform to use
them without breaking drills.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 20:37, ss wrote:
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out.
The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the
retaining pin properly.
I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter that would do the job and
allow me to increase the depth on the pin holes by around ½ - 1mm on
either side.
The problem is the drill bit is too small for my me elec drill and my
dremel tool, the chucks wont hold it and it just slides out.
I have checked other bits and bobs but cant find anything that thin to
use as a punch as an alternative. They are either too thick or not
strong enough.

Any suggestions?

PIN CHUCK

Google it

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Any suggestions?

You can get PCB drills that have a 3.2mm shank for a dremmel, and then
narrow down to sub-mm tips, quite brittle though ...

e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pcb-drill

The carbide ones aren't suitable for use in a hand drill. You could
certainly at one time buy 'ordinary' ones which were - Maplin used to sell
them. But went blunt pretty quickly.

Other way is a pin drill - come with a selection of small drills inside
the body. (they are a thing you twiddle by hand, so not a vast price_

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.