DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   water off this morning (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600836-water-off-morning.html)

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 07:42 AM

water off this morning

bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

Brian Gaff November 28th 17 08:14 AM

water off this morning

I still have mine, but of course you have to boil any water from the tank
these days as you might get some horrible disease from it otherwise. Having
said that for many years nobody ever bothered and are still here.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

[email protected] November 28th 17 09:32 AM

water off this morning

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 07:42:57 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

Mmmm, just about to have my morning bath.

Are you near Renfrew?

Owain

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 28th 17 09:48 AM

water off this morning

Brian Gaff wrote:

I still have mine, but of course you have to boil any water from the tank
these days as you might get some horrible disease from it otherwise. Having
said that for many years nobody ever bothered and are still here.
Brian

I am not sure that nobody ever bothered Tank water was regarded as ok
for washing and cleaning teeth, but not for deliberately drinking or
cooking when I was young. And I'm pretty sure that occasionally fishing
out the dead rodents was routine before tank lids.

--

Roger Hayter

Brian Gaff November 28th 17 10:20 AM

water off this morning

Ah ours always had a lid.
Maybe a few dead insects are good for you?
No I'm really referring to the act of brushing ones teeth in the bathroom
where only tank water was available and still is and although I've
swallowed it from time to time nothing seems to have happened to me at all,
and back in the days of living in a flat in old Wandswarth as a family the
water was from a tank several floors up the only mains water was a tap in
the scullery near the copper.
Brian

--
----- -

Brian Gaff November 28th 17 10:21 AM

water off this morning

So why was the baby always the last one to use the bathwater, hence throwing
the baby out with the bathwater?
Brian

--
----- -

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 28th 17 10:50 AM

water off this morning

On 28/11/17 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

50 grams isnt enough to make a cup to tea with.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 28th 17 10:51 AM

water off this morning

On 28/11/17 09:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I still have mine, but of course you have to boil any water from the tank
these days as you might get some horrible disease from it otherwise. Having
said that for many years nobody ever bothered and are still here.
Brian

I am not sure that nobody ever bothered Tank water was regarded as ok
for washing and cleaning teeth, but not for deliberately drinking or
cooking when I was young. And I'm pretty sure that occasionally fishing
out the dead rodents was routine before tank lids.

Blood in the bathwater meant another dead crow in the water tank

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 11:11 AM

water off this morning

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I still have mine, but of course you have to boil any water from the tank
these days as you might get some horrible disease from it otherwise. Having
said that for many years nobody ever bothered and are still here.
Brian

I remember when we were giving 90% grants for lead pipe replacement in the
early 80's all the punters wanted all the plumbing in their houses replaced
arguing they brushed their teeth with water from the tank...they were ****ed
off when told it was only from the toby to the kitchen drinking point.......

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 11:13 AM

water off this morning

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 07:42:57 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

Mmmm, just about to have my morning bath.

Are you near Renfrew?

Owain

yes just came back in ....on now but a bit low in pressure........turds
gone......going to have to get a water butt for flushing this is happening
too often .....

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 11:14 AM

water off this morning

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
So why was the baby always the last one to use the bathwater, hence
throwing the baby out with the bathwater?
Brian

pass

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 11:55 AM

water off this morning

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 07:42:57 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

Mmmm, just about to have my morning bath.

Are you near Renfrew?

Owain

ha ha gallowhill...other side of the M8 M8 ....tee hee...were you off as
well????

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 11:56 AM

water off this morning

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 07:42:57 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

Mmmm, just about to have my morning bath.

Are you near Renfrew?

Owain

ha ha gallowhill...other side of the M8 M8 ....tee hee...were you off as
well????

sorry I read gowanhill as gallowhill...sorry

Mike Clarke November 28th 17 11:56 AM

water off this morning

On 28/11/2017 10:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
So why was the baby always the last one to use the bathwater,

'Cos it wasn't toilet trained.

--
Mike Clarke

Capitol November 28th 17 12:00 PM

water off this morning

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

I hope you mean gallons!

Max Demian November 28th 17 05:09 PM

water off this morning

On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

--
Max Demian

Rod Speed November 28th 17 05:18 PM

water off this morning

Brian Gaff wrote

So why was the baby always the last one to use the bathwater,

Because the little buggers **** and **** in it.

hence throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Bit hard to throw an adult out with the bathwater, specially with
you obscenely obese. Likely to **** your back if you try that.

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 05:25 PM

water off this morning

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

what?

[email protected] November 28th 17 06:54 PM

water off this morning

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:09:30 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

The gravity cold water in the cold water tank pushes it through.

Owain

[email protected] November 28th 17 06:56 PM

water off this morning

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 11:55:48 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
ha ha gallowhill...other side of the M8 M8 ....tee hee...were you off as
well????

No, but I heard about it on the news whilst lying in my deep filled corner bath surrounded by bubbles.

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 07:37 PM

water off this morning

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:09:30 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

The gravity cold water in the cold water tank pushes it through.

Owain

yes gravity is better than mains water pressure ......

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 07:41 PM

water off this morning

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 11:55:48 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
ha ha gallowhill...other side of the M8 M8 ....tee hee...were you off as
well????

No, but I heard about it on the news whilst lying in my deep filled corner
bath surrounded by bubbles.

Owain

it made the news? .......suppose is should it affected a lot of Glasgow
including silverburn shopping centre ......

Brian Gaff November 28th 17 07:43 PM

water off this morning

Tin baths in front of the coal fire, wonderful, but then I have the tinted
memories of age.
I'm sure it was draughty and not terrible hygenic either, but I am still
here.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Brian Gaff wrote

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 07:47 PM

water off this morning

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Tin baths in front of the coal fire, wonderful, but then I have the tinted
memories of age.
I'm sure it was draughty and not terrible hygenic either, but I am still
here.
Brian

me too...I also ...

https://www.iels.org/assets/19/_MG_4069_l.1.jpg

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 07:47 PM

water off this morning

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
He means gal one supposes.
Brian

you should

Rod Speed November 28th 17 08:19 PM

water off this morning

Brian Gaff wrote

Would you not, um make sure it was empty before you started though?

Easier said than done.

There are some hilarious youtubes where
the nappy changer gets ****ed on.

Rod Speed November 28th 17 08:23 PM

water off this morning

Brian Gaff wrote

Tin baths in front of the coal fire, wonderful,

Never had one that I can remember.

but then I have the tinted memories of age.

True.

I'm sure it was draughty

Yeah, I bet.

and not terrible hygenic either,

More hygienic than no bath.

Didn’t you buggers sew your kids into their clothes
for the winter ? Dunno how they ****ted tho.

but I am still here.

A likely story...

Brian Gaff wrote

[email protected] November 28th 17 08:57 PM

water off this morning

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 20:23:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Didnt you buggers sew your kids into their clothes
for the winter ? Dunno how they ****ted tho.

Well duh, button flaps in appropriate places.

Owain

[email protected] November 28th 17 09:03 PM

water off this morning

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 19:41:05 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
it made the news?

On Smooth Scotland. I couldn't comment on Radio 4.

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 28th 17 09:08 PM

water off this morning

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 19:41:05 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
it made the news?

On Smooth Scotland. I couldn't comment on Radio 4.

Owain

too parochial for radio four ..

Max Demian November 29th 17 12:24 AM

water off this morning

On 28/11/2017 19:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Tin baths in front of the coal fire, wonderful, but then I have the tinted
memories of age.
I'm sure it was draughty and not terrible hygenic either, but I am still
here.
Brian

me too...I also ...

https://www.iels.org/assets/19/_MG_4069_l.1.jpg

That's a bowl for washing the clothes, or possibly children.

--
Max Demian

Max Demian November 29th 17 12:26 AM

water off this morning

On 28/11/2017 18:54, wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:09:30 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....

How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

The gravity cold water in the cold water tank pushes it through.

They are usually made so you can't drain the hot tank by tap so the
immersion doesn't go dry.

--
Max Demian

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 29th 17 12:42 AM

water off this morning

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Tin baths in front of the coal fire, wonderful, but then I have the tinted
memories of age.
I'm sure it was draughty and not terrible hygenic either, but I am still
here.
Brian

me too...I also ...

https://www.iels.org/assets/19/_MG_4069_l.1.jpg

That's a bowl for washing the clothes, or possibly children.

The scale is a little difficult to judge, but I think that is a standard
(adult) sized tin bath.

--

Roger Hayter

Roger Hayter[_2_] November 29th 17 12:42 AM

water off this morning

Max Demian wrote:

On 28/11/2017 18:54, wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:09:30 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....
How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

The gravity cold water in the cold water tank pushes it through.

They are usually made so you can't drain the hot tank by tap so the
immersion doesn't go dry.

But this design also arises from the desire to get the hot water (rises)
first before the cold.

--

Roger Hayter

[email protected] November 29th 17 01:45 AM

water off this morning

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 00:42:21 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

https://www.iels.org/assets/19/_MG_4069_l.1.jpg

That's a bowl for washing the clothes, or possibly children.

Wasn't there a printed advert that featured two small children in a
bath like that? I would look for it but a search for children in
bath image might lead to things I don't want on a computer,
The scale is a little difficult to judge, but I think that is a standard
(adult) sized tin bath.

Only if you are a midget.

These are adult sized tin baths

http://www.sherpatools.co.uk/acatalo...N_BATH_48.html

http://www.sherpatools.co.uk/acatalo..._54.html#SID=1

I actually had cause to buy one a 48" one about 15 years ago when I
was living on a boat that could get too cold to shower on comfortably
in winter but because I had installed a woodburner with back boiler
had lashings of hot water and one cabin area that was really warm.
When nobody else was about got the bath in front of the stove and
filled it and had a good soak while watching the telly.
Hardest part was emptying it which I solved using a cordless drill
with one of those small drill pumps.

I purchased it from a local ironmonger who had them hung outside his
shop. I was intrigued as to whom he usually sold them to and how many
he sold, about a dozen a year was the reply mainly to people who
needed to wash large dogs.
The baths were imported from India.

G.Harman

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 29th 17 06:07 AM

water off this morning

Max Demian wrote:

On 28/11/2017 18:54, wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 17:09:30 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/11/2017 07:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
bring back the 50g cold 25g hot storage .....
How do you get hold of the water in the hot tank?

The gravity cold water in the cold water tank pushes it through.

They are usually made so you can't drain the hot tank by tap so the
immersion doesn't go dry.

But this design also arises from the desire to get the hot water (rises)
first before the cold.

I once bought a very small house where the previous owner to gain space in a
cupboard moved the hot water tank into the loft and mounted it on its
side...that had disadvantages but worked .....

Jim GM4DHJ ... November 29th 17 06:28 AM

water off this morning

wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

[...]

over the side? .....

Mike Clarke November 29th 17 12:22 PM

water off this morning

On 28/11/2017 19:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

[re baby being the last one in the bath]

Would you not, um make sure it was empty before you started though?

I was thinking of the old geordie mining families where the tin bath was
brought in from the back yard, put in front of the living room fire and
filled with hot water. Father, covered in coal dust from the pit, was
first in the bath, then mother, then the children, each in progressively
colder and dirtier water. It didn't get emptied until the end.

--
Mike Clarke