Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the burglar alarmists.

First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

Any form of remote I/O board available for the whatever panel you're using?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:36:14 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

"button set" do you mean a remote keypad and/or display unit?

Might get away with it, if nothing wants DC power (a keypad probably
will)

2 wires one alarm loop
2 wires one alarm loop
2 wires tamper loop (shared between door switch and "button set"

As that door (zone) will be set up as an access door. The alarm won't
sound when you open it you'll have the "entry delay" to get to the
panel or keypad to enter your code before a full alarm is raised.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

I'm curious about this button? Not covered in the alarm instructions?

--
wife.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

I'm curious about this button? Not covered in the alarm instructions?

Sorry. Keypad. Terminology issue!

I haven't purchased an alarm, just laying in suitable cable ready for
someone else to finalise.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

I'm curious about this button? Not covered in the alarm instructions?

Sorry. Keypad. Terminology issue!

I haven't purchased an alarm, just laying in suitable cable ready for
someone else to finalise.

Ah. I've got a remote key pad by the front door. Not sure if modern ones
need fewer circuit than mine - don't think it and a front door switch
could be run from a 6 core cable.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 08:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

The chubb alarms I used to fit in banks only needed four core for
everything.
These modern ones aren't well designed.

One pair will be power, one the alarm circuit and the last one the anti
tamper.

You can wire the alarm circuit through the the anti-tamper switches to
protect the boxes while the alarm is set and use the anti-tamper pair
for something else at the expense of 24hr anti-tamper.
The power you can wire in parallel to feed more sensors if the circuit
isn't too long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

One pair will be power, one the alarm circuit and the last one the anti
tamper.

Some alarms use "EOL resistors" so a single pair is used for alarm and
tamper (and sometimes for fault too).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 19:06, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/11/2017 08:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

The chubb alarms I used to fit in banks only needed four core for
everything.

Star or delta from the panel or a mixture of both?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
dennis@home wrote:

One pair will be power, one the alarm circuit and the last one the anti
tamper.

Some alarms use "EOL resistors" so a single pair is used for alarm and
tamper (and sometimes for fault too).

Now I am really confused:-)

It is currently possible to run a second 6 core to a location suitable
for a keypad. When I finish the flooring (suitable icon for prayerful
attitude) this will become much less easy.

The keypad is to acknowledge entry code and hold off the alarm. I
suppose we could dash through the house to the front door keypad but
this will be resisted for those wearing grubby Wellingtons.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
The keypad is to acknowledge entry code and hold off the alarm. I
suppose we could dash through the house to the front door keypad but
this will be resisted for those wearing grubby Wellingtons.

The panel I have allows IIRC as many keypads as you want. But I've only
got two here.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

It is currently possible to run a second 6 core to a location suitable
for a keypad.

Oh, just whack one in then! I thought you were past the point where
that was possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

It is currently possible to run a second 6 core to a location suitable
for a keypad.

Oh, just whack one in then! I thought you were past the point where
that was possible.

I'm not short of things to do! The other thing we seem to have forgotten
is cabling to the sounder. Luckily the attic space is linked so the
gable end wall is accessible internally.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

I'm curious about this button? Not covered in the alarm instructions?

Sorry. Keypad. Terminology issue!

I haven't purchased an alarm, just laying in suitable cable ready for
someone else to finalise.

The Texecom keypad that I have allows up to two alarms to be attached to
it. The keypad itself needs 4 wires, two of which are for power.

Only my PIRs and fire alarms need 4 wires, two of which are power which
can be shared. Door alarms are just two wire.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Only my PIRs and fire alarms need 4 wires, two of which are power which
can be shared. Door alarms are just two wire.

No anti-tamper circuit - or is it done in some clever way?

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 23/11/2017 08:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.
I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?
Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

The Texecom keypad that I have allows up to two alarms to be attached
to it. The keypad itself needs 4 wires, two of which are for power.

Only my PIRs and fire alarms need 4 wires, two of which are power which
can be shared. Door alarms are just two wire.

We are some way off occupation but I guess no reason not to get an alarm
installed professionally. I hope to avoid the annual maintenance
contract merrygoround!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 23/11/2017 08:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.
I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?
Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

The Texecom keypad that I have allows up to two alarms to be attached
to it. The keypad itself needs 4 wires, two of which are for power.

Only my PIRs and fire alarms need 4 wires, two of which are power which
can be shared. Door alarms are just two wire.

We are some way off occupation but I guess no reason not to get an alarm
installed professionally. I hope to avoid the annual maintenance
contract merrygoround!

Think you might have problems getting a cabled alarm installed to the same
standards as decent DIY. Like concealing all the cables. The labour costs
would be enormous.

I'm on my second self installed alarm. Both came from TLC. First one had
to be changed when the remote keypad - a membrane type - failed and I
couldn't repair it or find a new replacment.

Neither has required any 'maintenance' other than replacement of the
battery.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes
[...]

I've tried to anticipate this by laying in cable to likely locations.

I'm on my second self installed alarm. Both came from TLC. First one had
to be changed when the remote keypad - a membrane type - failed and I
couldn't repair it or find a new replacment.

Well done. Our current alarm is now 3 years beyond testing due to a
falling out with Banham over their interpretation of the maintenance
contract. The rarely used rear door key pad is unreliable but the new
owners can get that sorted:-)

Neither has required any 'maintenance' other than replacement of the
battery.

I rather hope technology will have moved on from the obscure button
sequences needed to change modes on a system installed in 1997!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

you might have problems getting a cabled alarm installed to the
same standards as decent DIY. Like concealing all the cables.

Yep, I installed the cables at various times when I had floors up,
ceilings down, was building stud walls, replacing coving, or installing
PVC doors (magnets and reed switches hidden within the doors/frames).

A couple of drops required chasing a slot and re-plastering, the only
visible cabling is within the garage and shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/11/2017 19:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 23/11/2017 08:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
First fix electrical only laid in one 6 core for a door switch but
forgot about needing a button set for that alternative access.

I assume one 6 way can't do both jobs?

Hard wired preferred as I'm frightened of relying on wi-fi:-)

The Texecom keypad that I have allows up to two alarms to be attached to
it. The keypad itself needs 4 wires, two of which are for power.

Only my PIRs and fire alarms need 4 wires, two of which are power which
can be shared. Door alarms are just two wire.

What does "The Texecom keypad that I have allows up to two alarms to be
attached to it" mean?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/11/2017 07:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

It is currently possible to run a second 6 core to a location suitable
for aÂ* keypad.

Oh, just whack one in then!Â* I thought you were past the point where
that was possible.

:-)

--
Adam