Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating Cleaner

Do they all need to be thoroughly removed after a short period?

My system had 3 sluggish radiators. I had one re-piped during some
alterations. It turned out I had some sediment in the outlet union from the
manifold. Perhaps flux type debris from the original build.

Unfortunately I was out when the plumber did the job so wasn't in a
position to get the other unions checked. I now stil lhave 2 rads that are
a bit sluggish.

I would like to run with a long term cleaner in the system. I always have
an inhibitor and the water is very clean - I also have a magnetic think.

Any suggestions - is there something that I can use all through the winter
without it attacking my boiler - but might clean any partial blockages
(microbore of course)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 17:08:52 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Do they all need to be thoroughly removed after a short period?

My system had 3 sluggish radiators. I had one re-piped during some
alterations. It turned out I had some sediment in the outlet union from the
manifold. Perhaps flux type debris from the original build.

Unfortunately I was out when the plumber did the job so wasn't in a
position to get the other unions checked. I now stil lhave 2 rads that are
a bit sluggish.

I would like to run with a long term cleaner in the system. I always have
an inhibitor and the water is very clean - I also have a magnetic think.

Any suggestions - is there something that I can use all through the winter
without it attacking my boiler - but might clean any partial blockages
(microbore of course)

I think it was Fernox that says it can stay in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 17:08:49 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Do they all need to be thoroughly removed after a short period?

My system had 3 sluggish radiators. I had one re-piped during some
alterations. It turned out I had some sediment in the outlet union from the
manifold. Perhaps flux type debris from the original build.

Unfortunately I was out when the plumber did the job so wasn't in a
position to get the other unions checked. I now stil lhave 2 rads that are
a bit sluggish.

I would like to run with a long term cleaner in the system. I always have
an inhibitor and the water is very clean - I also have a magnetic think.

Any suggestions - is there something that I can use all through the winter
without it attacking my boiler - but might clean any partial blockages
(microbore of course)

There's this:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...bito r/p45091
more information:
http://www.calmagltd.com/index.php/o...range/calchem/

I've been using it for a few years now.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 17:08:49 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Do they all need to be thoroughly removed after a short period?

My system had 3 sluggish radiators. I had one re-piped during some
alterations. It turned out I had some sediment in the outlet union from
the manifold. Perhaps flux type debris from the original build.

Unfortunately I was out when the plumber did the job so wasn't in a
position to get the other unions checked. I now stil lhave 2 rads that
are a bit sluggish.

I would like to run with a long term cleaner in the system. I always
have an inhibitor and the water is very clean - I also have a magnetic
think.

Any suggestions - is there something that I can use all through the
winter without it attacking my boiler - but might clean any partial
blockages (microbore of course)

Are you certain that there is no sludge in the radiators?

If your plumber removed a radiator this could have cleared out any sludge.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 November 2017 09:52:38 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
[...]

Is there something I should be putting in my boiler heat exchanger in
readiness for a reinstall?

History, 3 years use on a system with steel radiators followed by 12
months emptied out waiting for a plumber to put it back on the wall.

It was fitted with a filter but there have been suggestions that sludge
may have hardened blocking the heat exchanger and leading to kettling on
re-use.

Just CH cleaner.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If your plumber removed a radiator this could have cleared out any
sludge.

Cheers

Dave R

They are very clean - removed for decorating and the system is often
flushed - each has a drain at the bottom.