Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower walls - aqua panels or tiles?

Time to do up the shower - heavily used (approx 5 times a day or so).

Corner rectangle enclosure and tray already ordered - just need to
decide what to put on the walls.

Older shower had tiles, with 1.5-2mm of white grout in between, and it
was far from satisfactory:

- grout was cracking every few years and had to be re-done (I am 100%
sure that the wall behind was not the cause).
- The grout (white) was very hard to keep clean-looking.
- Silicone bead between the tiles and the tray failed on a couple of
occasions over the 10 year life of the shower, and had to be replaced.
- Despite using very good quality silicone it was very hard to keep the
mould away, so I had to give it the bleach-treatment a couple of times
(very successful).

We are considering using aqua panel instead or tiles as a result -
something similar to these

https://www.rearo.co.uk/bathroom/sel...-x-11mm-21753/

Any experience with these anyone? i.e.

- How easy to keep clean?
- Can you safely remove and re-do the silicone at the bottom if needed
without damaging the boards?
- etc

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2017 21:22, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Any experience with these anyone?Â* i.e.

- How easy to keep clean?
- Can you safely remove and re-do the silicone at the bottom if needed
without damaging the boards?
- etc

TIA.

Very easy to keep the boards clean. I don't get mould at the corners but
it does develop eventually at the tray and/or other awkward joins. The
board surface is pretty tough so in principle should be easy enough to
trim back silicone with scalpel, etc, and then re-do. I'd never tile a
shower again in a normal domestic setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 October 2017 21:22:32 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Time to do up the shower - heavily used (approx 5 times a day or so).
Corner rectangle enclosure and tray already ordered - just need to
decide what to put on the walls.

Definately a sheet product although I have some reservations about the MDF backed varieties.

As for the shower base, you may be able to find one with an upstand that goes behind the panel, meaning that seal joint isn't critical.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
I'd only go with Acrylic. Splashwall and Vistelle have very good setups with
seam, corner and end Caps, so the caulk is exposed very little to moisture and
air for mold to occur at all. I've got Acrylic and it still looks new
everywhere after 20-years. See and scroll down for the Caps. Splashwall -
http://www.diy.com/departments/splas...1542473_BQ.prd
and Vistelle -
http://www.diy.com/departments/viste.../150345_BQ.prd

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1246448-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 October 2017 21:22:32 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:

- Despite using very good quality silicone it was very hard to keep the
mould away, so I had to give it the bleach-treatment a couple of times
(very successful).

Sounds like you had no problem removing the mould, but were for some reason reluctant to do it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
I'd only go with Acrylic. Splashwall and Vistelle have very good setups with
seam, corner and end Caps, so the caulk is exposed very little to moisture and
air for mold to occur at all. I've got Acrylic and it still looks new
everywhere after 20-years.

20 years you say?.....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
http://www.diy.com/departments/splas...1542473_BQ.prd

and Vistelle -
http://www.diy.com/departments/viste.../150345_BQ.prd

Thanks for the tip. Are they made from solid gold?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
Yep, compared to the tile garbage and its hack installation you've had. Or,
you can buy more enclosure glass and put that on the walls, but the adhesive
choice has to be visibly made for it. Quite incredibly, I couldn't find
anyplace that sells entire Acrylic Kits. In other parts of the world you can
get them real cheap and have a caulkless future.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1246448-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2017 12:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
Yep, compared to the tile garbage and its hack installation you've had. Or,
you can buy more enclosure glass and put that on the walls, but the
adhesive
choice has to be visibly made for it. Quite incredibly, I couldn't find
anyplace that sells entire Acrylic Kits. In other parts of the world you
can
get them real cheap and have a caulkless future.

That was the first thing I was looking for when investigating a new
setup - zero maintenance requirements. Like you, I was very surprised by
the lack of availability considering how simple they are to make and how
common they are in places such as North America.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 10:23:14 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
As for the shower base, you may be able to find one with an upstand
that goes behind the panel, meaning that seal joint isn't critical.

That is a really good idea - never seen or heard of them before.

I can't find them right now -- possibly they went out of fashion about the same time as avocado bathrooms? but this site has some useful looking things eg
https://www.ipsluk.co.uk/watertight-trim-panseal.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
I was gobsmacked and gutted, I thought the plastic crap had long ago taken
over the world. I expected your B&Q (our Home Depot) and Wickes (our Lowe's)
or Screwfix (our True Value & Ace) to be absolutely arse over tit with the
stuff.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1246448-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to JoeJoe, Iggy wrote:
I was gobsmacked and gutted, I thought the plastic crap had long ago taken
over the world. I expected your B&Q (our Home Depot) and Wickes (our Lowe's)
or Screwfix (our True Value & Ace) to be absolutely arse over tit with the
stuff.

Ho ho the plot thins....

Name that nym....;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Aqua Panels for Showers Jo UK diy 9 January 11th 12 03:42 AM
problems spraying Kem Aqua lacquer [email protected] Woodworking 2 January 10th 07 08:56 PM
Supply 24 Port Patch Panels,24 Patch Panels,24 Port UTP Patch Panels,24 Port Cat5e Patch Panels,RJ45 Patch Panels,Modular Patch Panels [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 1st 06 09:28 AM
Floormaster aqua loc laminate flooring ROBERT BASHFORD UK diy 4 January 5th 06 04:14 PM
Living House Aqua-Floor Wet Room System [email protected] UK diy 0 June 6th 05 11:04 AM