Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The door knob is unlocked. But the door won't open

Hi guys,
I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.

The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.

So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down when i
was inside the car.
Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.

The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be opened.

Any ideas to fix this problem.

Cheers

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your message and the sub line are in opposition. You say the door is or is
not locked?
Either way, I suspect there is some electrical fault with the central
locking. Have you tried this to see if all the other doors lock and unlock?
Of course you maigh find you ar forever trapped in your car, as it will
probably put the winndows up.
grin.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim shepherdson" m wrote
in message ...
Hi guys, I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.
The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.
So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down when
was inside the car. Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock
the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.
The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be
opened.
Any ideas to fix this problem.
Cheers
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:21:36 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Your message and the sub line are in opposition. You say the door is
or is not locked?
Either way, I suspect there is some electrical fault with the
central locking. Have you tried this to see if all the other doors
lock and unlock? Of course you maigh find you ar forever trapped in
your car, as it will probably put the winndows up.
grin.
Brian

Shades of 'Christine'.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:14:02 GMT, Tim shepherdson
m wrote:

Hi guys,
I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.

The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.

So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down when i
was inside the car.
Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.

The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be opened.

Any ideas to fix this problem.

In most cars that I've had, removing the door card is a fairly simple
process, and gives access to a lot of the door innards. You often
need to be careful when removing it to avoid breaking clips though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim shepherdson m
wrote:
Hi guys, I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.

The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.

So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down
when i was inside the car. Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up
to unlock the car. And now the driver door won't open from the inside
or out.

The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be
opened.

Any ideas to fix this problem.

You'll have to uncase the door to get at the mechanism. Could be just
plain wear, in which case a new unit will be needed. Or is might just need
a good clean and lube. Could even be a control rod has come detached.

Rimmer Bros have a new door latch assembly for 50 quid.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

m wrote:

Hi guys,
I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.

The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.

So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down when i
was inside the car.
Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.

The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be opened.

Any ideas to fix this problem.

In most cars that I've had, removing the door card is a fairly simple
process, and gives access to a lot of the door innards. You often
need to be careful when removing it to avoid breaking clips though.

Not so easy if you can't open the door!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim shepherdson" m wrote
in message ...
Hi guys, I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.
The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.
So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down when
was inside the car. Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock
the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.
The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be
opened.
Any ideas to fix this problem.

Clearly what the lock cylinder is supposed to move it no longer does.
Should be obvious when you pull it apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/10/2017 12:14, Tim shepherdson wrote:
Hi guys, I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.
The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.
So one day,Â* i actually pressed the knob on the top of the doorÂ* down
when i
was inside the car. Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock
the car.Â* And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.
The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be
opened.
Any ideas to fix this problem.
Cheers

Have you diagnosed the problem with the fob at all? New battery, etc?

In your position, I'd wind the window down, and stand beside the driver
door trying all the options of opening it with the key, with the knob
down and up, inside handle and outside handle, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Your message and the sub line are in opposition.

Nope.

You say the door is or is not locked?

He is saying that while the key still turns the lock, doing
that no longer allows you to open the door and he can't
open the door from the inside or the outside anymore.

Either way, I suspect there is some electrical fault with the central
locking.

Nope. It should still be possible to open the door from the inside
using the opening leaver and from the outside with the key.

Have you tried this to see if all the other doors lock and unlock?

By implication they do because he only said that the drivers
door can no longer be opened from the inside or the outside.

Of course you maigh find you ar forever trapped in your car, as it will
probably put the winndows up.

Even you should be able break a window and get out.

grin.

This is no laughing matter, boy.

"Tim shepherdson" m
wrote in message ...
Hi guys, I have a rover 25 and having issues with opening the door.
The fob to the car doesn't work, so been purely using keys to open it.
So one day, i actually pressed the knob on the top of the door down
when i
was inside the car. Realizing what i did i pulled the knob up to unlock
the car. And now the
driver door won't open from the inside or out.
The keys still turn the lock... but the door wont lock and able to be
opened.
Any ideas to fix this problem.
Cheers
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246343-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
In most cars that I've had, removing the door card is a fairly simple
process, and gives access to a lot of the door innards. You often
need to be careful when removing it to avoid breaking clips though.

Not so easy if you can't open the door!

It can usually be done. For this very reason - how else can you open a
door where something has failed?

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Have you diagnosed the problem with the fob at all? New battery, etc?

The central locking can normally be operated in another way than just the
remote.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
GB wrote:
Have you diagnosed the problem with the fob at all? New battery, etc?

The central locking can normally be operated in another way than just the
remote.

True. My car has a switch, but it sounds like the OP's might be operated
by the knob on the door.