Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Depressing time in my DIY journey

In message 20171031020908.33eb1d34@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
eBay or Freegle depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

Is there a difference between Freecycle and Freegle? I think I may have
logged onto both at one time, as they both keep sending me messages.

I've used Freecycle a bit. Freegle puts me off because they seem to
major in caring social involvement eg "you can now chat to other
Freeglers in your area" or "Hermione needs help" which latter message,
when opened, says Hermione is looking for a chest, or something.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Freegle was a spinoff from Freecycle following some kind of petty political
row.

Just looked on my local freegle, everything newer than two months is a
WANTED, most of the older OFFERs seem to boil down to the offerer
seeking to avoid a visit the tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
And IME, the effort isn't worth it. Especially since it involves dealing
with the general public for little or no return. I want this stuff to
be re-used, I really do, but the experience of dealing with Freeglers
and the like means it's easier just to put it in a skip.

I've generally found Freecycle OK - at least in London. Certainly better
than 50:50 - and occasionally a gem.

(Had a CRT TV to get rid of. Long after FreeView was the only TX, and flat
screen LCDs the norm. But it was quite a 'posh' one.
A youngish Eastern European bloke collected it using a sack trolley. And
took it home on the bus - two journeys with the stand. Commented on this,
and he said he played drums in a jazz band so was used to moving awkward
loads without a car. He asked if I likes jazz (which I do) and he posted a
couple of tickets to me for his next gig.)

That more than made up for the 'no shows'.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

Freegle was a spinoff from Freecycle following some kind of petty
political row.

Just looked on my local freegle, everything newer than two months is a
WANTED, most of the older OFFERs seem to boil down to the offerer
seeking to avoid a visit the tip.

I never actually look at it, since I'm not after stuff. Just post the
offer which isn't difficult, and let those who want it contact me.

Rather obviously stuff which can be carried by hand is more likely to go
than things which need a truck to collect. ;-)

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:42:35 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message 20171031020908.33eb1d34@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
eBay or Freegle depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

Is there a difference between Freecycle and Freegle? I think I may have
logged onto both at one time, as they both keep sending me messages.

I've used Freecycle a bit. Freegle puts me off because they seem to
major in caring social involvement eg "you can now chat to other
Freeglers in your area" or "Hermione needs help" which latter message,
when opened, says Hermione is looking for a chest, or something.

Freegle is just a splinter group. People got fed up with constraints (as
they saw it) of the main FreeCycle organisation. And it's trademarked, or
something.

I've given up with the local ones because they became far too
bureaucratic; they even wrote (bad) forms to constrain the way you wrote
an offer advert. Some of the admin people were just power mad. And I'm
sure some of them were creaming off all the good stuff - I had offers
before the advert went public, and missed out on other stuff the same way.

Then there's the people who just grab everything and eBay it. And the
many who say they're coming, you wait in, and they don't turn up. Then
get offended when you junk the item or give it to someone else.

And you make it clear what the item is in the advert, and they still ask
inane questions.

Rant over. For now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2017 19:36:59 GMT
On 2017-10-30, Chris B wrote:

And on that note does
anyone know if old electronic valves (I suspect salvaged from many
TV sets) are in demand by anyone these days, or can they safely hit
the skip?

One of the problems we had was that the answer to your question is
"Yes, but how on Earth do you find someone who wants them?" That and
can you be bothered to make the effort?

eBay or Freegle depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

And IME, the effort isn't worth it. Especially since it involves dealing
with the general public for little or no return. I want this stuff to
be re-used, I really do, but the experience of dealing with Freeglers
and the like means it's easier just to put it in a skip.

Same for broken electrical goods, with their crossed-out wheelie bin "do
not put in general waste" symbols.

You either have to go to your local tip or major recycling centre, and
/drive in with a car/ - not a van (or they think you're commercial) and
they don't let you walk in even if you live nearby so you have to make
an environmentally-unfriendly car journey, or find one of the small
electricals bin if it's no larger than a video recorder - but those are
few and far between, and usually not somewhere you frequent.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:42:35 +0000, Bill wrote:

I've used Freecycle a bit. Freegle puts me off because they seem to
major in caring social involvement eg "you can now chat to other
Freeglers in your area" or "Hermione needs help" which latter message,
when opened, says Hermione is looking for a chest, or something.

Would many plastic surgeons be likely to respond?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-10-31, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

Freegle was a spinoff from Freecycle following some kind of petty
political row.

Just looked on my local freegle, everything newer than two months is a
WANTED, most of the older OFFERs seem to boil down to the offerer
seeking to avoid a visit the tip.

You also get a lot of "Wanted: Rolls Royce. Offered: Used baked bean
tins".

15 years or so back it seemed quite reasonable, and we got and donated
quite a lot of stuff.

Nobody wants used stuff any more.

Myself included, it seems, as I clear more and more "useful sometime"
stuff out :-(

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/10/2017 10:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Besides my collection of tqt, mostly in multi-drawer cabinets, I
have an OXO tin full of tiny hardware my dad labelled as
"electrical bits & pieces", which I inherited when he died 40
years ago.

Dunno about the contents but you might get a good price for the empty tin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...AOSwRZRZdK~ L

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yck2teek

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 09:43:59 UTC, Bill wrote:
In message 20171031020908.33eb1d34@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
eBay or Freegle depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

Is there a difference between Freecycle and Freegle? I think I may have
logged onto both at one time, as they both keep sending me messages.

separate organisations but similar

I've used Freecycle a bit. Freegle puts me off because they seem to
major in caring social involvement eg "you can now chat to other
Freeglers in your area" or "Hermione needs help" which latter message,
when opened, says Hermione is looking for a chest, or something.

just ignore those, I assume they're some kind of ill suited software feature. Freegle started because of problems with how freecycle was run.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 11:06:21 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

An easy way to much improve the odds on those issues is to say in the ad something like please say when you'd want to collect. Any that don't can then be passed by as probably unreliable. And if you ask for a phone no upfront too it's far quicker to get it gone. People that misbehave can just be spambinned.

It's not perfect but a lot of stuff can be got rid of in a day or 2 that way. And it's surprising what some people want.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 13:57:36 UTC, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 30/10/2017 10:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Besides my collection of tqt, mostly in multi-drawer cabinets, I
have an OXO tin full of tiny hardware my dad labelled as
"electrical bits & pieces", which I inherited when he died 40
years ago.

Dunno about the contents but you might get a good price for the empty tin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-O...AOSwRZRZdK~ L

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yck2teek

don't try selling the gelignite
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thats bull****, most obviously with ebay, car boot sales etc etc etc.

Myself included, it seems, as I clear more and more "useful sometime"
stuff out :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 19:07:04 UTC, wrote:
don't try selling the gelignite

"no you can't have a refund because you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:35:36 +0000
Max Demian wrote:

Same for broken electrical goods, with their crossed-out wheelie bin
"do not put in general waste" symbols.

You either have to go to your local tip or major recycling centre,

Or just leave your small electricals next to the bin, where they will
collected and recycled appropriately. Depending on how well your
council deals with recycling, of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Same for broken electrical goods, with their crossed-out wheelie bin
"do not put in general waste" symbols.

You either have to go to your local tip or major recycling centre,

Or just leave your small electricals next to the bin, where they will
collected and recycled appropriately. Depending on how well your
council deals with recycling, of course.

Wouldn't work with my council.
Rubbish must be in the proper bin; paper, plastics, tins, go in the blue
bin; large items will be picked up on request by appointment - up to
three items at a time, for about 17 GBP.
Anything else, including glass jars and bottles, is to be taken to the
recycling centre.
Small electricals left beside the bin will not be collected by the council.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 23:32:33 UTC, S Viemeister wrote:
Wouldn't work with my council.
Rubbish must be in the proper bin

I live in a poor area. We just chuck our rubbish oot the windae and every few months the cooncil come round wi a barra and tidy up the back court :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
An easy way to much improve the odds on those issues is to say in the ad
something like please say when you'd want to collect. Any that don't can
then be passed by as probably unreliable. And if you ask for a phone no
upfront too it's far quicker to get it gone. People that misbehave can
just be spambinned.

I usually email them back and ask when they'd like to collect, before
giving the address. Those who just send a standard 'I'll have it' post
can't be bothered to reply.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 6:41:48 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 29 October 2017 18:22:35 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
A major problem is that it is always cheaper to buy a pack of 10 (or 20,
50, etc) from Screwfix or the like than to buy the actual two that you
really need for the job from B&Q or similar - "I am sure I will find a
use for the rest at some point..."

Alternatively you buy a selection box of 500 and find that 10 are the size you needed 20 of, and the other 490 are only of use to Czechoslovakian washing-machine repairers.

Owain

I keep one jam jar into which I throw odd screws. Its the first place I go to if I need a few screws rathe than tapping into the new stock
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 11:07:14 UTC, fred wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 6:41:48 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 29 October 2017 18:22:35 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
A major problem is that it is always cheaper to buy a pack of 10 (or 20,
50, etc) from Screwfix or the like than to buy the actual two that you
really need for the job from B&Q or similar - "I am sure I will find a
use for the rest at some point..."

Alternatively you buy a selection box of 500 and find that 10 are the size you needed 20 of, and the other 490 are only of use to Czechoslovakian washing-machine repairers.

Owain

I keep one jam jar into which I throw odd screws. Its the first place I go to if I need a few screws rathe than tapping into the new stock

So what you're saying is if you want a screw you go to your jam jar, does your jam jar get sticky too ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Same for broken electrical goods, with their crossed-out wheelie bin
"do not put in general waste" symbols.

You either have to go to your local tip or major recycling centre,

Or just leave your small electricals next to the bin, where they will
collected and recycled appropriately. Depending on how well your
council deals with recycling, of course.

South Bucks allows that - but it took them three weeks to notice the
kettle I left out for them.

--
Max Demian

Malls are depressing Edmund J. Burke, Ph.D Home Repair 1 September 1st 15 12:04 AM
I find this really depressing.. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 48 March 16th 12 03:50 PM
Incomplete Journey avtar Woodworking 0 July 14th 07 09:23 AM
INCOMPLETE JOURNEY .. VERY NICE MUST READ.... raj UK diy 13 February 5th 07 09:06 PM
Sharpening - A Journey Towards Joinery Tom Watson Woodworking 7 August 9th 05 12:26 PM