Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Most efficient shed storage

As just posted, I am finally setting about the shed.

At the moment most of the storage is Kettler style black plastic shelving
coming out at right angles to the rear wall. This gives a lot of storage
but also takes up a lot of space.

Three against the end wall, then a block of 4 sticking out, then another
shelving unit.

They were fine as a stop gap but I keep feeling that I could achieve
something neater and higher density.

Many of the shelves are stuffed but still have air gaps above the stuff.

Anyone come up with a really neat way of storing stuff?

Old kitchen units these days just seem to be ripped out and chucked and
new units aren't cheap.

I have also sadly come to the conclusion that I have too many tools, what
with duplicates donated by two people who have emigrated.

Tough times ahead, deciding what to keep. I am by nature a hoarder so all
the little bits and bobs I have accumulated take up an awful lot of space.

Anyway, deeper shelves closer together in height?

It feels like a DIY project too far at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 17:40, David wrote:
As just posted, I am finally setting about the shed.

At the moment most of the storage is Kettler style black plastic shelving
coming out at right angles to the rear wall. This gives a lot of storage
but also takes up a lot of space.

Three against the end wall, then a block of 4 sticking out, then another
shelving unit.

They were fine as a stop gap but I keep feeling that I could achieve
something neater and higher density.

Many of the shelves are stuffed but still have air gaps above the stuff.

Anyone come up with a really neat way of storing stuff?

Old kitchen units these days just seem to be ripped out and chucked and
new units aren't cheap.

I have also sadly come to the conclusion that I have too many tools, what
with duplicates donated by two people who have emigrated.

In my workshop I made up some L shaped shelves from 3/" MDF and
supported them on spur style wall brackets. By cutting two opposing
shapes from each 8x4' board I could get two shelves per sheet. That
makes the corner space more accessible.

Tough times ahead, deciding what to keep. I am by nature a hoarder so all
the little bits and bobs I have accumulated take up an awful lot of space.

Anyway, deeper shelves closer together in height?

I find this style of adjustable shelves also work quite well:

https://www.makro.co.uk/heavy-duty-5...nit-175kg.html

You can fit the shelves anywhere on the uprights to get more useful
spacings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You need Holerith card storage draws; but they are like dragons' teeth,
and you are not having mine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Iggy wrote:
For the open areas atop. You can simply leave screws proud and drop on a shelf
board or you can get all fancy and do the same with L-brackets. Otherwise,
just start drilling and cutting more shelf boards so you can have unlimited
adjustability and pack everything in tight without wasted open space.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1245691-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

I find this style of adjustable shelves also work quite well:

https://www.makro.co.uk/heavy-duty-5...nit-175kg.html

You can fit the shelves anywhere on the uprights to get more useful
spacings.

+1. I bought a few like that, following recommendations here a year or
two ago, and am delighted with them. Mine came via eBay, and are
available in a few standard sizes, plus corner units. Easy to assemble,
and much more rigid than I expected, when assembled.

One other option is shelving from post/mail offices, which are closing
at an alarming rate. Here, the modern metal/plastic mail sorting frames
were taken for reuse, but *everything* else was dumped from cups to
kettle and microwave, shelving, bins, safe, the lot. I scrounged a
couple of old wooden sorting frames which are large, heavy and extremely
useful. One is about 5 ft long by 3 ft high, divided into sorting
holes, each about 12 inches deep, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high. Very
useful for storing smaller stuff. Oh, and two metal filing cabinets,
one 2 drawer and the other 4 drawer.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2017 17:40, David wrote:
As just posted, I am finally setting about the shed.

At the moment most of the storage is Kettler style black plastic shelving
coming out at right angles to the rear wall. This gives a lot of storage
but also takes up a lot of space.

Three against the end wall, then a block of 4 sticking out, then another
shelving unit.

They were fine as a stop gap but I keep feeling that I could achieve
something neater and higher density.

Neat and higher density don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm on the
lookout for a new tool drawer since the ones I have are falling apart
after 25 years or so of abuse. Heart foundation furniture shop is one
place I intend to look since new purpose built stuff isn't cheap.

My solution to shelving is to have a range of different depths and
narrower mezanine shelves in between the larger ones and also higher up.
I have a mix of bolted to the wall planks and galvanised steel frame.

Many of the shelves are stuffed but still have air gaps above the stuff.

Anyone come up with a really neat way of storing stuff?
Anyway, deeper shelves closer together in height?

That doesn't work terribly well since you can't see or get to the stuff
hidden at the back. A range of depths to match at most 2 of whatever
goes on them is about optimal if you want to be able to find stuff
again. I find smaller shelves higher works better for me. YMMV

I also have a lot of small stuff nuts, bolts, screws sorted in plastic
drawers and vertical stacks of old tobacco tins.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:50:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Same size but with at least 2 more shelves would be nice.
Adjustable shelving is better than the plastic versions that I have, but I
think my main storage problem is the amount of air space above most of the
stored items.

I may try mounting some stuff directly on the wall with hooks.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2017 11:27, David wrote:
[...]

At the price you may as well buy one or two extra sets and cannibalise
for the extra shelves.

--
Cheers,

John.