Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted - something like epoxy/fibreglass resin but easier to use, needn't be as strong

I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Diluted PVA? Not waterproof, though. Or check what they used on fabric car
bodies, etc.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2017 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.

How rigid and how much flex does it need to support when dry?

The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

It isn't the two part that causes trouble it is the heat generated by
the curing and the relatively low viscosity at the early stages.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

The latex resin sold for dipping mould making at craft shops might do
what you want provided that the fabric is not subject to too much stress
and strain. Might be easier to use the right sort of fabric instead.

https://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product...rubber-1-litre

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2017 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Does the final product need to be waterproof?

PVA (dries transparent)

http://www.wilko.com/glue-tape+corrector-fluid/wilko-pva-glue-500ml/invt/0300256

Semi waterproof
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p22271?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=google shopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppi ngfeed&mkwid=sZALnCRnp_dc&pcrid=142453205744&pkw=& pmt=&product=22271&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Nj5mrP31gIV6 jLTCh3pGA6_EAQYBCABEgJGRfD_BwE

Roseal wet rot resin - one part with the consistency of water - solvent
based so possibly not suitable with some fabrics.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94441?table=no

This will dry hard so bending the cloth afterwards will crack it (the
same will happen with fibre glass resin and perhaps anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2017 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Not wishing to be obtuse, but exactly what properties are you after.
Nothing is really rigid, even glass bends a bit before it breaks. How
strong does it have to be? Like postcard material? Like metal shim? How
thick can you make it? Does the final appearance matter?

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with cloth
and stiffened with "dope". Does anyone still make balsa aeroplanes
covered with tissue paper and stiffened with "dope"?

Traditional shellac type varnish will be stiff, but brittle.
Polyurethane is more flexible, but tougher and stronger. Are you looking
at large areas?

A clue to the exact application might help!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with cloth
and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:06:26 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.

I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Dope , No not you the stuff they used to use on fabric covered
aeroplanes.

There are a few vintage planes around so perhaps a perusal of that
hobby may yield something or NP may know of source via his hobby.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with
cloth and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

Whatever happened to banana oil?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, though it might not be stiff enough. I've toyed with trying that
for some other ideas so it would be worth a go anyway.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 11:16:11 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

Quite. Household alkyd gloss paint waterproofs, but doesn't add much strength. Dope shrinks the cloth, which makes it seem rigid if on a frame. Non-shrinking dope aka banana oil doesn't.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 17/10/2017 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Does the final product need to be waterproof?

Yes

PVA (dries transparent)

http://www.wilko.com/glue-tape+corrector-fluid/wilko-pva-glue-500ml/invt/0300256

Presumably that's *not* waterproof.

Semi waterproof
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p22271?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=google shopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppi ngfeed&mkwid=sZALnCRnp_dc&pcrid=142453205744&pkw=& pmt=&product=22271&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Nj5mrP31gIV6 jLTCh3pGA6_EAQYBCABEgJGRfD_BwE

That would probably do, it's not going to be in water.

Roseal wet rot resin - one part with the consistency of water - solvent
based so possibly not suitable with some fabrics.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94441?table=no

This will dry hard so bending the cloth afterwards will crack it (the
same will happen with fibre glass resin and perhaps anything else.

I want it to dry hard.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with cloth
and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

No problem, this isn't going to be exposed to sunlight, at least not
for any significant amount of time.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.
The obvious readily available stuff for doing this would be the resin
used for fibreglass. I could use this but it's relatively expensive,
a bit difficult and messy to use (two-part etc.) and much stronger
than I need.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative? A 'one part' liquid that
just needs to dry would be ideal, brush or spray application. It
needs to be stronger/stiffer than starch or the (probably latext
based) blind stiffening sprays, but, as I said doesn't need to be like
cured fibreglass resin. I guess some sort of varnish would probably
do what I want but what would be best given that they're not usually
*designed* for such a use.

Well the $64000 question is 'how stiff do you want it?' as the actress
said to the bishop, stirring her tea with the other hand...

Aircraft dope works to shrink but its not that stiff. Same for any other
vbarnishes. If you actually THOUGHT about the problem you would realised
that what gives stiffness is a relativiely inelastic material and some
depth to it.

fibregflass is not glass cloth with a coat of resin, its a thick layer
of resin given tensile strength by glass fibres

Stiff means thick, and thick means expensive. Yoiu coiuld gor example
glue foam boiard to te cloth to make it stoiff.

I think you probably need to explain what you want to achieve, because
thsi sounds like one of these 'if I wanted to go there, I wouldnt start
from here' situations.

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 11:09, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Plaster of paris would be far stiffer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 11:16, newshound wrote:
Does anyone still make balsa aeroplanes covered with tissue paper and
stiffened with "dope"?

Shrunk and airproofed with dope yes.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 11:33, alan_m wrote:
On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with
cloth and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

Aircaft lifetimes are not that long either in war...I beleive the
average life expectancy of a spitfire was 6 weeks, representing perhaps
160 hours in the air.

Not even long enough to need a plug change

--
Of what good are dead warriors? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
their spears on the ground and talk of honor. Those who leap high the
battle dance and dream of glory The good of dead warriors, Mother, is
that they are dead.
Sheri S Tepper: The Awakeners.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 12:02, Bill wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with
cloth* and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

Whatever happened to banana oil?

Can still be got, but very few people use it

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 11:09, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/10/2017 10:06, Chris Green wrote:

I'm looking for a way to make something made of fabric become rigid.

How rigid and how much flex does it need to support when dry?

The latex resin sold for dipping mould making at craft shops might do
what you want provided that the fabric is not subject to too much
stress and strain. Might be easier to use the right sort of fabric
instead.

https://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product...rubber-1-litre

Plaster of paris would be far stiffer

But not very waterproof. If he said what he wanted it to use it for it
would be a lot easier to suggest a sensible choice of material(s).

If I wanted something really strong and tough I would probably use a two
part epoxy paint and several layers with glass fibre mat in between. For
a small job a couple of tubes of long working time standard epoxy. It is
OK so long as it is a thin coat when it is curing. Bulk it gets mad hot.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 11:33, alan_m wrote:
On 17/10/2017 11:16, newshound wrote:

Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with
cloth and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

Aircaft lifetimes* are not that long either in war...I beleive the
average life expectancy of a spitfire was 6 weeks,* representing perhaps
160 hours in the air.

Not even long enough to need a plug change

WW1 pilots life expectancy around two weeks. As they didn't carry
parachutes every life lost was an aircraft lost.

Spitfire metal skinned - Hurricane fabric skinned

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/17 13:04, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Id buy 5 litres of poroper polyester resin and hardener.

Bloody site cheaper than poxy.

--
But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Sounds to me like you may be on the right lines with "varnish". After
all, even the skins of some WW2 military planes were covered with
cloth and stiffened with "dope".

I believe that dope covered fabric isn't UV stable.

They made car bodies out of it for long enough.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 12:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
alan_m wrote:
[...]

since you're not willing to tell us what we'd need to know, replies seem pointless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My point exactly. One of my first thoughts was sugar syrup, as used to
make "theatrical" glass for stunt work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When they used to make aircraft from fabric over wood they use some kind of
dope but it was quite firm, maybe a bit too firm.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yep, mate of mine does.

Traditional shellac type varnish will be stiff, but brittle. Polyurethane
is more flexible, but tougher and stronger. Are you looking at large
areas?

A clue to the exact application might help!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 19:20:54 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

wasn't firm at all of course, just pulled tight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m writes:

WW1 pilots life expectancy around two weeks. As they didn't
carry parachutes every life lost was an aircraft lost.

Remembering that von Richthofen landed his plane after being
fatally wounded, I was going to say not all, but then
Wikipedia says that although his plane was relatively undamaged,
souvenir collectors soon took it to bits. So it was lost all the
same.

--
Jón Fairbairn