Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rangemaster 110 Range (spares question).

Hi all,

Trying to help a friend ... they have a 'Rangemaster 110 Range', with
two gas ovens and gas hob and I understand the thermostat (or stats)
that cover the main oven has either failed or gone out of spec
(burning stuff).

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

I filled out a spare parts enquiry on the Rangemaster website and they
duly replied confirming that the spare part was indeed no longer
available. ;-(

However, are these things generally unique to such a brand / model or
are they often generic, all be it with an additional bracket or some
such?

Anyone here got a Rangemaster oven and managed to get 'unavailable'
spares from somewhere or have any other thoughts on the matter please.

I understand the thing is pretty heavy and I can see if they can't get
it fixed, I'm going to be expected to be on one end of it as it's
carried to the van to go to the scrappy. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

The Gas Board have the biggest spurs out there. Happy to take payment
for covering *itemised* gas appliances for as long as you like, but
declare bits unavailable should it ever actually need anything.

Spares are usually available for donkeys' years after makers and the gas
board don't want to know, especially as most things are generic rather
than made to order. I've never had a problem tracking down spares for
things, particularly if I've got hold of a part number. A quick squizz
at eBay turns up various thermostats for a "Rangemaster 110" with
associated part numbers.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/17 17:10, T i m wrote:
[...]

To an extent many things are generaic

It took me a lot of googling but I manged to find spares for an old cooker.

Not the clock though

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 17:10, T i m wrote:

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

I assume British Gas as part of a maintenance contract.

It standard practice for BG to state that spares are not available and
the device can no longer be repaired. Next comes the sales pitch where
a new item can be purchased through BG at a price x2 to x3 more than
their competitors.

A friend of mine used to make a very good living repairing items that BG
had declared obsolete with spares direct from the manufacturer or
generic replacements.

I filled out a spare parts enquiry on the Rangemaster website and they
duly replied confirming that the spare part was indeed no longer
available. ;-(

However, are these things generally unique to such a brand / model or
are they often generic, all be it with an additional bracket or some
such?

Anyone here got a Rangemaster oven and managed to get 'unavailable'
spares from somewhere or have any other thoughts on the matter please.

I understand the thing is pretty heavy and I can see if they can't get
it fixed, I'm going to be expected to be on one end of it as it's
carried to the van to go to the scrappy. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:20:08 +0100, Scott M
wrote:

T i m wrote:

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

The Gas Board have the biggest spurs out there. Happy to take payment
for covering *itemised* gas appliances for as long as you like, but
declare bits unavailable should it ever actually need anything.

Quite.

Spares are usually available for donkeys' years after makers and the gas
board don't want to know, especially as most things are generic rather
than made to order.

That's what I was hoping.

I've never had a problem tracking down spares for
things,

Nor me typically ... seems my Google Foo let me down this time. ;-(

particularly if I've got hold of a part number.

That is still missing from this enquiry.

A quick squizz
at eBay turns up various thermostats for a "Rangemaster 110" with
associated part numbers.

It does indeed, Thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:41:20 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 16/10/2017 17:10, T i m wrote:

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

I assume British Gas as part of a maintenance contract.

I believe it is yes.

It standard practice for BG to state that spares are not available and
the device can no longer be repaired. Next comes the sales pitch where
a new item can be purchased through BG at a price x2 to x3 more than
their competitors.

I wasn't there when they turned up but I understand they guy admitted
he wasn't that confident.

A friend of mine used to make a very good living repairing items that BG
had declared obsolete with spares direct from the manufacturer or
generic replacements.

I bet. However, I dare they are obliged to do it all by the book so

As Scott M suggested, there seem to be lots of options on eBay so I
think I'll probably have to see if there is a part number on the
offending item and see if there is a good match and if there is, get
them to get it and have it there for the Gas Man to fit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:23:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

To an extent many things are generaic

That was my suggestion to the owners, after they repeated what the gas
man said.

It took me a lot of googling but I manged to find spares for an old cooker.

I did the same with my Mums old gas boiler (that must be 45+ years
old) and found some bagged new / old stock (from an ex gas fitters
van). ;-)

Not the clock though

You sometimes find you need a bit that is a weak link and so everyone
wants one. So they become rare and expensive.

About the same time you often find some kind soul on Youtube showing
you how to repair your one. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 19:29, T i m wrote:

About the same time you often find some kind soul on Youtube showing
you how to repair your one. ;-)

For older appliances you may find that they used the same part on
multiple models for many years and/or the same appliance had more than
one badge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

I understand the thing is pretty heavy and I can see if they can't get
it fixed, I'm going to be expected to be on one end of it as it's
carried to the van to go to the scrappy. ;-(

T i m, be warned, those things are not heavy, they are ****ING heavy,
trust me. Don't think two of you are just going to pick one up and
wander off down the garden with it. Two can carry it, but be careful.

On the bright side, we needed various parts for ours, and all were found
via eBay, although we didn't require a stat.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-10-16, Scott M wrote:
T i m wrote:

The Gas Board have been round, concluded the fault was the stat but
said they were no longer available? ;-(

The Gas Board

Who?

It was the big boy, sir, he started it, sir.

(Mind you, I like to refer to the GPO occasionally and I'm barely old
enough to remember it!)

--
Scott