Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling a shower

Hi All,

We are fitting a bathroom and have tiled the shower area. My wife went to buy BAL grout today and noticed it said it was suitable for showers but was water resistant not waterproof. So.... She called their technical support. They said it should only be used on the wall the shower is on if the wall has been tanked/ waterproofed (using some waterproofing paint) first.

Is this correct as I have never heard of this before? Also.... We have now fitted the tiles with their adhesive which seems to say the same thing (ie for showers but only water resistant).

Anyone know?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I used Hardie Backer on the stud wall the shower itself is on. The other wall is brick and plaster. My fear is more that if the grout/ adhesive is not waterproof eventually the wall will become damp. TBH not sure what it means "suitable for showers" if not waterproof.

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Rob for your reply. Yes the plaster was sealed with a sealant for new plaster before you tile so assume that covers that angle.

So in summary of I understand correctly, the water may get the grout and the adhesive wet but ingress further would be stopped my either the plaster sealer or the Hardie Backer board. Also neither grout or adhesive will degrade because of the wet.

Is that correct?

Thanks again

Lee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:

You're supposed to use Aquapanel* (cement-based glass-covered wall board
rather than gypsum-based paper-covered) for showers.

glass-covered? I'd go with cement-based with embedded glass-fibre mesh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/10/2017 15:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
My guess is that if water gets into the cracksand hence into the
wallsomething could um, give.

I know this is not good but for what its worth, about 20 years back I
retiled my ensuite and never having done it before and not having the
same access to the internet I just ripped off the old tiles, made a mess
of the existing plasterboard, gave a rough skim and put on new tiles and
dont remember getting a `special` grout.. I knew nothing about
waterproofing etc back then.
After 15 years I retiled and the wall behind the tiles was still good,
the shower was used daily, although a rubber sqeejee thing was used to
take excess water off the tiles after showering.

Moved house and redone this shower room using aquaboard, I hope that
lasts as long :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2017 20:48, ss wrote:

I know this is not good but for what its worth, about 20 years back I
retiled my ensuite and never having done it before and not having the
same access to the internet I just ripped off the old tiles, made a mess
of the existing plasterboard, gave a rough skim and put on new tiles and
dont remember getting a `special` grout.. I knew nothing about
waterproofing etc back then.
After 15 years I retiled and the wall behind the tiles was still good,
the shower was used daily, although a rubber sqeejee thing was used to
take excess water off the tiles after showering.

Moved house and redone this shower room using aquaboard, I hope that
lasts as long :-)

We've just had our bathroom rebuilt.

One of the timbers behind the shower wasn't just a bit damp, it had rot
and quarter inch holes where some _big_ beetle had been chewing it.

Andy
--
DIY? It took two pros 2 weeks. I don't have 4 weeks leave - and it would
probably have taken me longer.

Rebuilt? Down to the framework. All the internal plaster had to come off
the wood frame.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2017 19:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

You're supposed to use Aquapanel* (cement-based glass-covered wall board
rather than gypsum-based paper-covered) for showers.

glass-covered?Â* I'd go with cement-based with embedded glass-fibre mesh.

Correct. It is a little bit like old fashioned cement-asbestos board,
but with the asbestos replaced by glass fibre. It also has a somewhat
harder and smoother surface.

Tiling Bathroom Floor/Shower REW Home Repair 5 November 5th 04 03:09 PM
tiling shower william UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 11:06 PM
shower tiling billy UK diy 0 September 1st 03 10:45 PM
Tiling a shower, how to transition from backer board (durock) to drywall Rich Home Repair 3 August 28th 03 12:29 AM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM