Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dating construction

I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/17 21:10, Vir Campestris wrote:
I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

1900-1930

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:10:26 +0100
Vir Campestris wrote:

I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior
plaster has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

You have swans in your walls?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in bits.
It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly pine, and
seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand (pit) swan from
the bigger tooth marks.

Trouble with stuff like that last is that it may have
come from somewhere else and is much older.

The surviving interior plaster has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date
ranges?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior
plaster has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

You have swans in your walls?

It's a cob wall.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 September 2017 21:10:28 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

Look at your houses deeds.
There should be a plan attached.

Horse hair hasn't been used in plaster for over a hundred years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2017 07:11, harry wrote:
On Friday, 29 September 2017 21:10:28 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

Look at your houses deeds.
There should be a plan attached.

Horse hair hasn't been used in plaster for over a hundred years.

I know of one that was built 90 years ago that used horsehair.

But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's
in bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is
mostly pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to
be hand (pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving
interior plaster has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

You have swans in your walls?

It's a cob wall.

Going along with the horses, no doubt.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxxx writes:
On 30/09/2017 07:11, harry wrote:
On Friday, 29 September 2017 21:10:28 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
I'm trying to work out when our bathroom was added on, while it's in
bits. It's a timber frame with a brick plinth; the timber is mostly
pine, and seems to be machine swan; the sole plate looks to be hand
(pit) swan from the bigger tooth marks. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

Look at your houses deeds.
There should be a plan attached.

Horse hair hasn't been used in plaster for over a hundred years.

I know of one that was built 90 years ago that used horsehair.

But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Never seen it used in gypsom plaster, although you'll see something
that might look similar if you cut through old scrim tape buried
in the plaster. (It was probably hessian.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 11:05:33 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

.. The surviving interior plaster
has horse hair in it. Anyone suggest date ranges?

Andy

Look at your houses deeds.
There should be a plan attached.

Horse hair hasn't been used in plaster for over a hundred years.

I know of one that was built 90 years ago that used horsehair.

But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Or builders who entered the trade at the end of the 19th century and
carried on using what they were taught for most of their working life.
For a 14 year old starting in 1890 that could mean they were still at
work till the late 1950's. In practice they probably did start to use
newer techniques after WW2 but even then there was nothing like the
plethora of new materials,construction techniques,tools and methods of
working that have been developed in the past forty years.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

Ditto, unidentified mammalian hair, cheap housing development
Stoke-on-Trent, 1930s.

And I note that horse hair, goat hair and polyester fibres are sold
currently for lime plaster use.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

Cows have hair....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

Cows have hair....

I'd guess any hair would do. So whatever is most plentiful in an area.
Which once would have been horses.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

Cows have hair....

I'd guess any hair would do. So whatever is most plentiful in an area.
Which once would have been horses.

They also used sisal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But it does point to a 19th century, or earlier, construction.

Horse hair commonly used in lime plaster, and that was used up to
1920s/1930s I think.

Yup. Parent's house in Scotland had it. Built mid '30s. Of course may not
have been horse hair, but something similar.

Unicorn?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

simple dating site brod cast UK diy 0 January 3rd 13 03:25 PM
Dating black chicks alan.holmes UK diy 2 August 28th 09 02:33 PM
Dating black chicks alan.holmes UK diy 2 August 28th 09 01:52 PM
Dating black chicks AC UK diy 3 August 27th 09 04:53 PM
dating made easy gemsaccount Electronics Repair 0 March 7th 09 03:39 PM