Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing desk inlay

I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably be
too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The existing
looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of bakelite.

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/17 09:30, RJH wrote:
I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably be
too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The existing
looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of bakelite.

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

Formica?

Not that easy to find these days- or it wasn't the last time I needed some.

Cutting can be 'interesting', I just cut over size and trim to size by
filing. You can cut with fine saw.

Contact adhesive will secure it- Evostick is what I've always used but
there are probably more modern alternatives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/17 09:30, RJH wrote:
I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably be
too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The existing
looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of bakelite.

I wouldn't be so sure

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-IN...-/111039889463

But if you want a really tough finish, the stuff used to cover music
equipment flight cases is pretty good

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/gb-en/...0/0154?c=14524

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

cut a paper or cardboard template first

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 September 2017 09:30:54 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
Any recommendations on a source for the inlay?

Real linoleum is quite trendy at the moment.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2017 09:58, Tjoepstil wrote:
On 28/09/17 09:30, RJH wrote:
I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably
be too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The
existing looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of
bakelite.

I wouldn't be so sure

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-IN...-/111039889463

Problem there (as I see it) is that it'd need more than one piece.
They're 32" (70cm) maximum widths, I think.

But if you want a really tough finish, the stuff used to cover music
equipment flight cases is pretty good

https://www.adamhall.com/shop/gb-en/...0/0154?c=14524

Ah yes, good thinking, thanks, that's more like it.

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

cut a paper or cardboard template first

Yes, will do, ta.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:30:51 +0100, RJH wrote:

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

If it is the standard issue light brown surface it will break up come
out quite easily if warmed (not incinerated) and lifted out with a
stiff scraper. It is about 3-4mm thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2017 09:30, RJH wrote:
I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably be
too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The existing
looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of bakelite.

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

Fake/Faux leather?
Example
1.37m wide sold by the metre to a length of 25m @ £11 per metre
https://www.fauxleatherdirect.com/sh...x-leather.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/17 12:08, alan_m wrote:
On 28/09/2017 09:30, RJH wrote:
I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD, collapsible
but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked throughout, and I'd like to
replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would probably
be too thick and expensive, and not possible in one piece. The
existing looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has the appearance of
bakelite.

Also any tips for removing the old and sticking the new - although
videos showing the same process with leather inlay desks suggests that
it shouldn't be too tricky, just time consuming. Biggest challenge for
me would be cutting the precisely to size, I think.

Fake/Faux leather?
Example
1.37m wide sold by the metre to a length of 25m @ £11 per metre
https://www.fauxleatherdirect.com/sh...x-leather.html

Neat stuff!

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH writes:

I have a fairly large (1.4m x 0.8m) wooden desk - ex-MoD,
collapsible but quite sturdy. The inlay is cracked
throughout, and I'd like to replace it.

Any recommendations on a source for the inlay? Leather would
probably be too thick and expensive, and not possible in one
piece. The existing looks to be a thin sheet of vinyl - has
the appearance of bakelite.

Polyflor do some vinyl that might do http://www.polyflor.com/ €”
I used some offcuts from my kitchen floor to make inlays for
kick plate drawer fronts and it worked well. Theres also
Marmoleum furniture linoleum
http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-au/...inoleum/bkwpe3
specifically intended for this purpose.

--