Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FAQ: Which Dash cam

For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend",
there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine. Here's the results table
(pdf):

https://magazine.which.co.uk/edition...am%20table.pdf

(the complete article isn't available as pdf at the moment)

Allan
(no connection with Which other than as a reader)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 13:21, Allan wrote:
For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend",

https://magazine.which.co.uk/edition...am%20table.pdf

Hmmm... Which vs. Techmoan

Tough choice.

Not.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 13:21, Allan wrote:
For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend",
there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine.Â* Here's the results table
(pdf):

https://magazine.which.co.uk/edition...am%20table.pdf

No reference to the brilliant (but Chinese speaking) "Ddpai M6 Plus"

I've had one for a year or so now with 128GB card and can highly
recommend it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DDPAI-M6-P...8AAOSwIgNXsU39

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Allan" wrote in message
For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend",
there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine. Here's the results table
(pdf):

https://magazine.which.co.uk/edition...am%20table.pdf

(the complete article isn't available as pdf at the moment)

Allan
(no connection with Which other than as a reader)

We've been very pleased with our Transcend DrivePro 220. The only
frustration is that it doesn't seem to work with 64 GB cards, only a maximum
of 32 GB (of the same make and model of card), so it overwrites recordings
after about 3 hours. There are times when it would be nice to have the whole
of a long journey on camera, in case of an event near the beginning of the
journey which we can't copy off the camera until several hours later when we
get to our destination. Otherwise it's good: it produces pin-sharp still
frames (for reading number plates) as long as there's at least bright
overcast daylight, and it can "see" reasonably clearly in the dark when
headlights (and maybe street lights) are the only light - not good enough to
read number plates of oncoming cars but good enough to see who did what as
long as the other car doesn't drive off and therefore there's no dispute
about its identity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 13:51:47 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

No reference to the brilliant (but Chinese speaking) "Ddpai M6 Plus"

Hmmm "2.4Hz WIFI", Could take a very long time to do anything.

"Make & Share Your Own Video - Trilling event"

"with continuously updated dog data"

"Front & Rear Recording, - Buyer need to buy extra one Camera more
We Offer 100% Satifiation Service"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz explained on 27/09/2017 :
Hmmm... Which vs. Techmoan

Tough choice.

Not.

I bought one which was tested by that site a couple or more years ago.
Very pleased with it. It fits flat up to the screen, none of this
bracket and sucker business, just a camera on the side of it, which
rotates up or down to set the view and it hides behind the visor. Along
with a similarly discreet, rear view cam feeding video into the front
facing one. All quite discreet, nothing much to see, fit and forget. It
does surprising good audio recordings, plus G-Force. Cost me around £30
on Ebay, but there is no specific name for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

No reference to the brilliant (but Chinese speaking) "Ddpai M6 Plus"

Hmmm "2.4Hz WIFI", Could take a very long time to do anything.

"Make & Share Your Own Video - Trilling event"

"with continuously updated dog data"

"Front & Rear Recording, - Buyer need to buy extra one Camera more
We Offer 100% Satifiation Service"

Yes, indeed, but as GymRatz said it speaks Chinese.

I have one, too, and it's not perfect and can be very frustrating, but
it is really good quality for video and because of the magmount is
really easy to work with when you need to take the card indoors to get
the data off urgently.

The more standard one in the other vehicle, where you have to fiddle
round unplugging tiny connectors, groping with mounting suckers or
poking away at a tiny memory card is nowhere near as good when you need
data in anger. On a good day, I can also sit in the house and connect to
the M6Plus's server to download and edit etc.

The mmPai company seems to have a weird concept of how anyone would use
one of these, but the hardware is very interesting to a d i y dabbler.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 13:21, Allan wrote:
For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend",
there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine.Â* Here's the results table
(pdf):

https://magazine.which.co.uk/edition...am%20table.pdf

(the complete article isn't available as pdf at the moment)

Allan
(no connection with Which other than as a reader)

Their table puts the only 2 I know off that do NOT have built in screens
quite down the list.

I have the Blackvue and it works well (though wifi is clunky). The other
screenless one is the Roadhawk.

It can be quite difficult to place these so as not to obstruct the
windscreen and the Blackvue "tube" version works quite well in this
regard. Usually possible to tuck it behind or to the left of the mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 16:26, Bill wrote:
In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

No reference to the brilliant (but Chinese speaking) "Ddpai M6 Plus"

Hmmm "2.4Hz WIFI", Could take a very long time to do anything.

"Make & Share Your Own Video - Trilling event"

"with continuously updated dog data"

"Front & Rear Recording, - Buyer need to buy extra one Camera more
We Offer 100% Satifiation Service"

Yes, indeed, but as GymRatz said it speaks Chinese.

I have one, too, and it's not perfect and can be very frustrating, but
it is really good quality for video and because of the magmount is
really easy to work with when you need to take the card indoors to get
the data off urgently.

Would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "speaks Chinese"? Does
this mean that any spoken messages are useless? Is there any
documentation in English (other than the Cinglish in the Ebay description)?

[My Blackview device reverts to Korean when it gets upset - but it does
attempt to speak some sort of English most of the time].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make sure your dashcam records time and date and has GPS otherwise it is completely useless for any Police or prosecution purposes. I think the same applies for insurance purposes.

I have a Nextbase 402G since superceeded by newer models but has all the above. The only drawback is the 32Mb SD card max. which means it only records a maximum of 3 hours before overwriting. However, there is a button you can press which saves the last 3mins. and prevents it being overwritten. The length of saved video can be adjusted but the default 3 mins. is normally adequate.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/17 18:06, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Make sure your dashcam records time and date and has GPS otherwise it
is completely useless for any Police or prosecution purposes. I think
the same applies for insurance purposes.

Why? As long as it records the accident, and saves the recording, it
should be obvious what has happened and where. Why do the police (and
insurance?) need to know when the accident occurred to the nearest
second, or even minute?

Mine records time and date, although the time is not accurate as it
doesn't have a link to an atomic clock. I would guess that many dashcams
are like that. And as for GPS, would it make any difference that my
satnav has trip history even though the dashcam doesn't?

I have a Nextbase 402G since superceeded by newer models but has all
the above. The only drawback is the 32Mb SD card max. which means it
only records a maximum of 3 hours before overwriting. However, there
is a button you can press which saves the last 3mins. and prevents it
being overwritten. The length of saved video can be adjusted but the
default 3 mins. is normally adequate.

There is no point in recording umpteen hours of driving. The last half
minute is all that is required - hopefully saved when the g-sensor kicks
in. It may be just an urban legend, but it is said that if the police
review a dashcam SDHC card for details of an accident, they will review
/all/ the recordings on the card, not just the one which has the
accident. Maybe to see what the driving was like an hour or two before
the accident.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
There is no point in recording umpteen hours of driving. The last half
minute is all that is required - hopefully saved when the g-sensor kicks
in. It may be just an urban legend, but it is said that if the police
review a dashcam SDHC card for details of an accident, they will review
/all/ the recordings on the card, not just the one which has the accident.
Maybe to see what the driving was like an hour or two before the accident.

Yes you do need to record more than just the details of the latest crash.
You might be a witness to an accident that you are not involved in, in which
case you need to be able to keep that footage until you can conveniently
stop to copy it onto permanent storage to give to the police. If I witness
blatantly bad driving that doesn't actually result in a crash, I won't stop
immediately to save the footage, I'll carry on and preserve it when it's
convenient to me - usually at the end of my journey which may be in a couple
of hours time.

I've got into the habit of always putting my GoPro in the car window in case
I need evidence, though I realise that without time, date, GPS and speed it
will be of *less* use, though by no means *no* use. Incomplete evidence is
always better than no evidence or eye witness evidence from someone in the
car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky laid this down on his screen :
Make sure your dashcam records time and date and has GPS otherwise it is
completely useless for any Police or prosecution purposes. I think the same
applies for insurance purposes.

I don't think that is true, so long as the video submitted has to have
been made at fairly obvious place, land marks, road signs etc., or the
place it happened is of no importance - it will be accepted as valid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY expressed precisely :
I've got into the habit of always putting my GoPro in the car window in case
I need evidence, though I realise that without time, date, GPS and speed it
will be of *less* use, though by no means *no* use. Incomplete evidence is
always better than no evidence or eye witness evidence from someone in the
car.

...and as I was told by police when submitting video evidence, a
commented audio track even if it only contains the drivers exclamation
of F Me! as something suddenly happens on the road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
NY expressed precisely :
I've got into the habit of always putting my GoPro in the car window in
case I need evidence, though I realise that without time, date, GPS and
speed it will be of *less* use, though by no means *no* use. Incomplete
evidence is always better than no evidence or eye witness evidence from
someone in the car.

..and as I was told by police when submitting video evidence, a commented
audio track even if it only contains the drivers exclamation of F Me! as
something suddenly happens on the road.

Yes, I suppose a horn and an exclamation shows that I was aware of the
situation and had started to brake early, rather than being oblivious until
the last instant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:06:20 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I have a Nextbase 402G since superceeded by newer models but has all the
above.

I have a Nextbase 512G. It does date, time, registration number and GPS
(the G suffix). Works very well.

The only drawback is the 32Mb SD card

I assume you mean 32GB and not 32 megabits...

max. which means it only
records a maximum of 3 hours before overwriting.

I have a 64GB in mine, which is last 6-9 hours.

However, there is a
button you can press which saves the last 3mins. and prevents it being
overwritten. The length of saved video can be adjusted but the default 3
mins. is normally adequate.

It actually records in 3 minute segments (for ease of downloading) and
'freezes' that segment. It will also run after the car is switched off,
indefinitely (if wired like that) or for a specified time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 17:43, Roger Mills wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "speaks Chinese"? Does
this mean that any spoken messages are useless? Is there any
documentation in English (other than the Cinglish in the Ebay description)?

Apart from the initial start-up (spoken) message which goes "hello
DingDingPie"
The other 2 spoken messages are in Chinese (female voice) although one
is spoken when there seems to be a card error and the other one has the
includes the sound "GPS" which presumably is when the unit gets a GPS lock.

The "eDog" thing mentioned seems to be an Asian database of speed
cameras or something so not used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
Would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "speaks Chinese"? Does
this mean that any spoken messages are useless? Is there any
documentation in English (other than the Cinglish in the Ebay
description)?

[My Blackview device reverts to Korean when it gets upset - but it does
attempt to speak some sort of English most of the time].

I was not really meaning this literally - as already mentioned my camera
says "Hello DDPai" occasionally depending on how it's being used and
then I think it tells me when the GPS has locked on. Both are in a very,
very Chinese lady's voice. The instructions leave something to be
desired, but there is a moderately active M6Plus English speaking forum.

I usually have it set so that it records continuously, dropping into
time-lapse when not moving. When the house next door was burgled but the
car was facing the wrong direction, I pulled off the time-lapse to see
who had walked up the street at the relevant time. (This was quite
difficult and involved finding a more suitable player than VLC). I
printed out 2 pictures of a dubious looking character, but SWMBO was
able to recognise him as the local priest.

I don't think one should regard these things as just accident recorders.
I specifically bought this one with GPS after my daughter came in from
being taxied back from Manchester in the early hours and the driver had
found himself being threatened with prosecution after being stopped by
the crew foreman on a section of closed motorway. Only after a huge
hassle and two way radio contacts was it admitted that the vehicle
tasked with marking the diversion had been away from its post while the
driver went for tea, pee or something.
Had it gone to court, and it apparently nearly did, video linked to GPS
evidence might have saved the driver's licence.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager explained :
It actually records in 3 minute segments (for ease of downloading) and
'freezes' that segment. It will also run after the car is switched off,
indefinitely (if wired like that) or for a specified time.

One player I have (I think a default MS player on W10), manages to
stitch the segments together so it appears as a continuous recording
when I click on any individual file segment. There is just the
slightest of glitches, as it passes the join.

My cam is permanently installed, via a hidden ciggy socket behind the
dash, which is only powered when the ignition is on. That way I don't
need to do anything and cannot forget to power it.

Dash Cam (again) Bill[_18_] UK diy 14 November 28th 16 08:53 AM
dash cam - recommend a front+n rear setup anyone? dave UK diy 1 July 5th 16 04:26 PM
OT Car Dash Cam DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 51 September 2nd 15 10:16 AM
Police Dash Cam Captures Waves Causing Transformer Sparks Seymore4Head Home Repair 0 April 22nd 15 12:17 AM
Case for a dash cam on your car HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 38 February 23rd 13 12:35 AM