Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hedge trimmer cable repair

My 30 something nephew cut through the cable on his first use of my
Flymo Easicut 6000XT hedge trimmer - quite how is a mystifying as I've
used it for years with never a hint of putting the blade near the
cable.

The cable has a coiled section near the handle and he's cut just after
that.

I haven't got the machine here - he's supposed to have got it fixed
and that was 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting so I'm going to pick it
up in a couple of days.

Options seem to be:

1) Rewire from the cut into the machine leaving out the coiled
section. Does the coil help a lot in using the machine?

2) Rejoin at the cut, either
a) with a connector (which is something else to catch) or

b) using amalgamating tape which will be smoother but more prone to
pulling apart I guess

3) Replace the whole cable but I haven't seen any with the coiled
section.

4) Take it to a Flymo repair centre

Thoughts? (on the repair not my nephew)

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:50:14 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

My 30 something nephew cut through the cable on his first use of my
Flymo Easicut 6000XT hedge trimmer
The cable has a coiled section near the handle and he's cut just after
that.

Options seem to be:

1) Rewire from the cut into the machine leaving out the coiled
section. Does the coil help a lot in using the machine?

Doesn't it act as sort of shock absorber if the main cable snags. May
be useful if you are on a step ladder but not as much if you are stood
on firm ground.

2) Rejoin at the cut, either
a) with a connector (which is something else to catch) or

At he risk of teaching you to suck eggs some connectors come as a plug
and socket and it essential you put them on the correct way around.

b) using amalgamating tape which will be smoother but more prone to
pulling apart I guess

By itself ? Shouldn't rely on it . You need a mechanical joint,
decent solder job , heat shrink over individual conductors another
over both though that may be overkill and affect flexibility just
where you want it, then a protective layer of insulation tape or
self amalgamating. No harm in doing both as the self amalgamating will
help keep some moisture out though where your cut is it won't be
likely to come to rest in a puddle and each layer of something will
make it less flexible.

3) Replace the whole cable but I haven't seen any with the coiled
section.

As my mum used to say , you are not looking hard enough.
http://www.shop.flymo.co.uk/hedge-tr...del_ref=548884

4) Take it to a Flymo repair centre

with the cable above being £34 ish what will they add on for labour.
You might be near the cost of a new one and sell the damaged one on
ebay to a tinkerer. Old cable can be found easily on broken machines
at the dump or in a skip or just bought new as cable.
Thoughts? (on the repair not my nephew)

Tell that any cost is going to be deducted from what you may have been
leaving him in your will.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd think the safest is to get the right cable and replace it and charge it
to the bloke who cut it.
It's been years since I used any kindof tool like this but if you put the
cable over your shoulder then you sould not ever be able to cut it that
close to the device.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2017 12:50, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

If you have a proper crimp tool, use red crimps, make a loop so the
wires are folded back on themselves for strain relief and overwrap with
self-amalgamating tape.

That will last. If you spend any time or effort on this, it will get
cut again.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I assume the coil is to reduce the chance of a cut cable.

I cut the cable on my trimmer [straight cable no coil] I used a two
pin connector [5A]. God knows what type, I bought them as a job lot on
Ebay.

This in my opinion is better than the original long cable as any
tension on the cable will merely part the connector which is about a
metre from the trimmer.

If you do not go for this option then a like for like cable
replacement would be the best option.

Tape of any description is not an adequate jointing option.

If you are in the habit of loaning the item out, replacement to the
original spec is the only option.

The happy smiling soul cheerfully carrying your trimmer away to trim
his hedge will become a totally different individual when he lops a
few fingers off, so if you loaned it out in the condition it was in
when purchased and provided him with a safety talk, gloves, eye
protection and an RCD, you might well escape the clutches of all those
"wont cost you a penny" claims merchants.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 September 2017 12:50:19 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Number 1. Anything else is brainless, especially 4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2017 14:26, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

I cut the cable on my trimmer [straight cable no coil] I used a two
pin connector [5A]. God knows what type, I bought them as a job lot on
Ebay.

This in my opinion is better than the original long cable as any
tension on the cable will merely part the connector which is about a
metre from the trimmer.

I have a hedge trimmer designed that way - the connector is on a short
bit of cable from the body of the appliance. As you say, undue tension
on the cable disconnects the appliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Just bung a plug near the handle and use an extension lead and give him
a supply of leads to cut in future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2017 13:38, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:50:14 GMT,
lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

[...]

+1, but use "sticky" heat shrink which has a layer of glue-gun type
adhesive inside it as the outer layer. Do this properly and you don't
need self amalgamating or pvc adhesive tape. (Personally I find PVC
tape, properly applied, more secure for a joint which can see tension
than self amalgamating tape).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No more loans - lesson learnt. To be fair he was "looking after" a
house that I was trying to sell and needed to get the garden tidy.

Lesson 2 - don't get a nephew to look after a house.

And you should have seen the pickle he got into trying to re-feed a
strimmer with all bits of spring and other pieces on the floor - he
told me he knew how to use one - bl**dy kids. When I showed him how
he was at least suitably embarrassed.

--
AnthonyL

Hedge trimmer flex [cable?] repair. Cheapest safe method? Simon Cee UK diy 40 May 15th 15 12:44 AM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM
Troubleshooting help for Deere 172 Gas Hedge Trimmer? Joe S Home Repair 0 March 3rd 05 02:51 PM
broken switch on a bosch hedge-trimmer billy Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 10:37 PM