MickMcG

Default timber flooring over tiles?

Hi folks,

The previous owner of our house was a tiler and has ceramic tiles on
all the downstairs floors in the house. The tiles are lovely but we
have a little man about to start walking and to be honest we find them
a little cold - especially in the mornings..

What we'd like to do is put down timber flooring in our sitting room
and dining room but we're just wondering what the implications of
doing that might be. Would we have to lift the tiles? Could we put
down a semi solid floor by running thin battons over the tiles and
attaching our floor to them... Digging out the current floor would be
a last resort. If we went for a semi solid floor we'd probably be left
with a step down into the kitchen and halls - side rooms but i guess
we could live with that.

Whats the least height we could expect the floor to rise above the
tiles? would you get away with 3/4" battons and floor boards? giving
say a rise of 1.5 inches?

Anyone have any advice on the best way to proceed?

Cheers,
Mick
Tim Mitchell

In article , MickMcG
writes
[...]

Why don't you just lay some carpet with thick underlay over the top? Or
if you want wood you can get click-together stuff (like laminate floor
but wood) which is not very thick and does not need battens.
--
Tim Mitchell
RichardS

"MickMcG" wrote in message
om...
[...]

To be honest, in a situation like this I'd go for a decent quality no-glue
laminate.

The difference in levels will be minimal, the cost comparable to carpet, no
risk of nails, splinters, etc, and if the tiles are a distinctive feature
then you may well find it a rather better selling feature than wooden
floors.

Underlay + laminate will certainly take some of the chill off the floor.

Besides, it's an easy-clean surface.....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Christian McArdle

What we'd like to do is put down timber flooring in our sitting room
and dining room but we're just wondering what the implications of
doing that might be. Would we have to lift the tiles?

Why not lift the tiles? They should come off easily with an SDS chisel. Take
off the adhesive with a spade (and if necessary lay a few mm of self
levelling compound) ready for the carpet/laminate/hardwood underlay.

Christian.

Wall tiles from B&Q Troy UK diy 5 January 13th 04 09:02 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM
Small ensuite shower room - mosaic tiles pros & cons SC UK diy 6 August 21st 03 11:45 AM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM