Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue before soldering

I am repairing a Corsa key this involves soldering a couple of
microswitches to a PCB. Now these switches are soldered onto lands
rather than holes through the board a la :-
https://youtu.be/CNsz3qTGWmI?t=3m10s

He seems to have a great deal of difficulty holding the switches in
position, he actually ends up putting his finger on them . I don't want
to do this as I KNOW I would burn my finger.
Can I use a VERY small drop of CA to attach the centre body of the
switch to the PCB , then solder the ends?

Will the CA damage in any way the PCB or the switch body?
Obviously I would be very careful putting glue on as I don't want any on
any moving part of the switch.

Have heard some horror stories of people gluing the leads on then
soldering them thereby heating the CA until it off-gases producing VERY
toxic fumes. But any glue I put on will be in the middle of the switch
so away from the ends where any soldering would be.