Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Temproary fix to caravan paintwork

Quick question whilst I research in parallel.

I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using
Sikaflex.

Before I do that I would like to mount it temporarily to get it in the
correct position.
This could involve several attempts.

So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where
any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes been
a ******* to remove) as used for number plates is there anything else
reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 12:50:09 +0000, David wrote:

Quick question whilst I research in parallel.

I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using
Sikaflex.

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes
been a ******* to remove) as used for number plates is there anything
else reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

How heavy is the camera? Would blue tack hold it long enough for you to
be able to get the position correct?

Or, is it just a matter of an assistance holding it in various positions
until you get the right view?

re double sided tape - use a less strong one such as is used to string
'fairy lights' at Christmas as these have a tab to enable easy removal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes been
a ******* to remove) as used for number plates is there anything else
reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

Strips of self adhesive Velcro? Sticks well, but not to the point of
being non removable.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2017 13:50, David wrote:
Quick question whilst I research in parallel.

I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using
Sikaflex.

Before I do that I would like to mount it temporarily to get it in the
correct position.
This could involve several attempts.

So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where
any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes been
a ******* to remove) as used for number plates is there anything else
reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

Blutak

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 July 2017 13:50:14 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where
any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

If it's a smooth finish, one or more suckers

If it's a metal panel, a magnet

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 28 July 2017 13:50:14 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where
any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

If it's a smooth finish, one or more suckers

If it's a metal panel, a magnet

aren't most caravan panels aluminium allot?

Owain

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 07:56:37 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 12:50:09 +0000, David wrote:

Quick question whilst I research in parallel.

I am about to mount a rear view camera to the back of the caravan using
Sikaflex.

Apart from double sided spongy tape (which has in the past sometimes
been a ******* to remove) as used for number plates is there anything
else reassuringly strong but also easily removed?

How heavy is the camera? Would blue tack hold it long enough for you to
be able to get the position correct?

Or, is it just a matter of an assistance holding it in various positions
until you get the right view?

re double sided tape - use a less strong one such as is used to string
'fairy lights' at Christmas as these have a tab to enable easy removal.

Camera is quite big.

Weighs 960 grams (so just under a kilogram).

Rear is roughly 280 * 155 mm.

So not in the same size bracket as a GoPro or similar.

I think blu tack might do it if I bought quite a large packet.

The assistant would be walking around at the back waving arms so I could
judge the viewing area.

Thinking about it, I might want to go for a short drive before finalising
the position; I've found this helps when doing the fine adjustment for
wing mirrors. So it needs to be a robust fixing which can last through a
few bumps and the rear of the caravan going up and down.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:35:58 +0000, David wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 07:56:37 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

How heavy is the camera? Would blue tack hold it long enough for you
to be able to get the position correct?

Camera is quite big.

Weighs 960 grams (so just under a kilogram).

I think blu tack might do it if I bought quite a large packet.

Hmm probably not

Thinking about it, I might want to go for a short drive before
finalising the position; ... So it needs to be a robust fixing which can
last through a few bumps and the rear of the caravan going up and down.

I think what you need (to be sure of not losing it) is a sucker of the
type use to carry glass or something similar.

Attach camera to that using heavy duty Velcro. That will also allow a
major repositioning via moving the sucker around and fine tuning by use
of the velcro.

In due course I'll be interested to learn what camera you have and how
you view the image...but not just yet :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2017 18:35, David wrote:

Weighs 960 grams (so just under a kilogram).

I've just checked your figures and you're quite right.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 28 July 2017 13:50:14 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
So I need something which is reasonably sticky but temporary, and where
any residue can be cleaned off caravan paintwork easily.

If it's a smooth finish, one or more suckers

If it's a metal panel, a magnet

aren't most caravan panels aluminium allot?

Owain

Indeed.
(I'd have thought that was bloody obvious :-)
)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:54:37 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 28/07/2017 18:35, David wrote:

Weighs 960 grams (so just under a kilogram).

I've just checked your figures and you're quite right.

Bill

Thank you.

You are as well, Mr. err... Wright.

---

Preparing peeling paintwork - advice? Michael Rozdoba UK diy 21 May 12th 07 07:17 PM
Polishing bloom out of car paintwork Drake UK diy 27 October 7th 06 10:12 PM
stripping OLD paintwork didds UK diy 10 November 19th 05 08:58 PM
Exterior paintwork Dan Welch UK diy 5 October 23rd 03 09:54 PM
Blobby paintwork Chris UK diy 4 September 10th 03 02:09 PM