Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor mains socket

I was musing what the best way might be to terminate my armoured cable so I
can have mains at the bottom of my garden. It used to go into a shed which
is no longer there due to age gravity and the activities of the fox
population it had to be gotten rid of. My cunning plan for the future will
be to use this as a way to isolate any future construction from the mains or
have it connected, but in the meantime garden tools etc are needed down
there and continually unrolling cables and rolling them up again is
beginning to annoy me when for the want of a box and some waterproofing,
I'm sure a suitable fix could be more permanent.

Not sure where to start hunting. I will get somebody else to fit it for
obvious reasons but I've been ripped off before so knowing what the bits
needed are is a good bit of research to do to avoid the rip the blindy off
merchants!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What size is the armoured cable, Brian? With most, it is possible to
terminate it direct into an outside weatherproof socket. If too large
you'd need to use an intermediate IP rated box. TLC have a selection.

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I ran a cable some years back, it actually goes to a shed but I do
have sockets fitted to the exterior of the building.

Had I planned for the future, I would have used a Rittall cabinet or
similar instead of a JB to take the power into the shed.

This would make the power source accessable to anyone with a cabinet
key, it would also allow for a range of sockets or current limiting
devices to be used by third parties.

My shed supply at the moment is available on a more or less permanent
basis for a local farmer for his electric fence. Although totally
trustworthy, the fact that he is taking a supply from the shed means
that yet another person has access to my property.

When I ran the SWA out, I should also have run an ethernet cable, a
telephone cable and a couple of 75Ohm coax cables.

Basically the work comes with burying and routing the cable. You may
never want to watch satellite and terrestrial TV while working on your
latest spreadsheet in between flipping burgers on the barbecue. But
you will never have to dig the lawn up to do the upgrade if you do.

Anyway a dedicated cabinet can contain everything possible for "future
expansion" even a 16A socket for a welder when the lawnmower breaks.

AB

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 09:41:10 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained :
I was musing what the best way might be to terminate my armoured cable so I
can have mains at the bottom of my garden. It used to go into a shed which is
no longer there due to age gravity and the activities of the fox population
it had to be gotten rid of. My cunning plan for the future will be to use
this as a way to isolate any future construction from the mains or have it
connected, but in the meantime garden tools etc are needed down there and
continually unrolling cables and rolling them up again is beginning to annoy
me when for the want of a box and some waterproofing, I'm sure a suitable
fix could be more permanent.

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket - like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-Nexus-S...IAAOSw-89ZUrGV

It has plenty of space inside, to terminate an armoured cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 13:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff explained :
I was musing what the best way might be to terminate my armoured
cable so I can have mains at the bottom of my garden. It used to go
into a shed which is no longer there due to age gravity and the
activities of the fox population it had to be gotten rid of. My
cunning plan for the future will be to use this as a way to isolate
any future construction from the mains or have it connected, but in
the meantime garden tools etc are needed down there and continually
unrolling cables and rolling them up again is beginning to annoy me
when for the want of a box and some waterproofing, I'm sure a
suitable fix could be more permanent.

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket - like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-Nexus-S...IAAOSw-89ZUrGV

It has plenty of space inside, to terminate an armoured cable.

+1

Its the normal way I run power to outbuildings etc. Stick an exterior
socket on the outside, run SWA up to the underside of it and terminate
with a normal three part gland. Then I can drill through the back and
into the building to take power inside. Obviously Brian can skip that
stage if there is no building!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 16:48, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

+2

The BG Nexus is a very good waterproof socket. Mount the socket on a
post and terminate the SWA into the socket.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/22/2017 1:41 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff explained :
I was musing what the best way might be to terminate my armoured
cable so I can have mains at the bottom of my garden. It used to go
into a shed which is no longer there due to age gravity and the
activities of the fox population it had to be gotten rid of. My
cunning plan for the future will be to use this as a way to isolate
any future construction from the mains or have it connected, but in
the meantime garden tools etc are needed down there and continually
unrolling cables and rolling them up again is beginning to annoy me
when for the want of a box and some waterproofing, I'm sure a
suitable fix could be more permanent.

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket - like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-Nexus-S...IAAOSw-89ZUrGV

It has plenty of space inside, to terminate an armoured cable.

I have something very like that (without the RCD, but at that price it's
a no brainer).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2017 19:15, newshound wrote:
[...]

Just to state the bleeding obvious. There is no need for a RCD socket if
the SWA has RCD protection at the CU.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Size well don't know how I'd measure this really. it runs down my fence,
most of the way and is rolled up. the house end is a switched spur off the
downstairs ring. So its not mega big in capacity,but it is quite a big
outside size and not very bendy. I'll need to get somebody round to look at
it.
Brian

--
----- -

Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ahem no in this case its going to be 13 amp max, and yes I have a plug in
device for safety for outdoor gadgets.

I'd be careful letting folk run electric fences they are notorious
interference generators as the use pulsed high voltages that in damp weather
can fizz and create regular glitches in tv signals and on analogue radios.
Could you not tell the farmer he can buy fencer batteries and you will pay
for them?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well there are some concrete fence posts there. The fence itself is wooden
panels. However the building or buildings might have to wait till next year.
There is a tiny shed which is still there but its not long for this world as
its use at the moment is to hold tools an hold up a damson 'thing' I was
going to say tree, but its an accidental sucker from a root of a tree that
came down in the hurricane and is always full of damsons but is not self
supporting.
grin.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No its older thatn RCD. Its as I said in a previous message. Obviously the
fuse etc is not in at the house end.

I am extremely careful and its been supplying a couple of sheds for many
years with local protactinium.
It has been my experience though that generally remote rcd type devices
tend to trigger for no real reason that can be found by qualified people. I
suspect they are deliberately over sensitive to something or other!
Now what I need is to figure out how I can flag up this thread in google
groups so my friend can read it. I don't use the thing. How would I do that?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 07:55:54 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Ahem no in this case its going to be 13 amp max, and yes I have a plug in
device for safety for outdoor gadgets.

I'd be careful letting folk run electric fences they are notorious
interference generators as the use pulsed high voltages that in damp weather
can fizz and create regular glitches in tv signals and on analogue radios.
Could you not tell the farmer he can buy fencer batteries and you will pay
for them?
Brian

He used to use batteries, but for some reason went over to mains last
year.

I am aware of the interference, that was there with the battery units,
so I would guess that it may still be there on weaker signals.

In wet weather, the acoustic noise from the arcing electricity poles
suggests that the farmers input to the "mush" is a drop in the ocean.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
If I did that, then wanted to plug in a supply to the new shed, could the
cable outlet be made waterproof?
Brian

The RCD double socket I linked to, allows items to be plugged in and
the socket cover allows it to remain shower proof - if that was what
you were asking? The cover can be re-closed, with the plug(s) in place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/22/2017 7:27 PM, ARW wrote:
[...]

But is there any downside to being protected twice? Presumably RCDs are
not infallible. Also, that unit seems to have a "test" button which
might give extra comfort to the nervous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 08:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there are some concrete fence posts there. The fence itself is wooden
panels. However the building or buildings might have to wait till next year.
There is a tiny shed which is still there but its not long for this world as
its use at the moment is to hold tools an hold up a damson 'thing' I was
going to say tree, but its an accidental sucker from a root of a tree that
came down in the hurricane and is always full of damsons but is not self
supporting.

If you put in on a post close to where there will be a building, then
you have a ready waiting point to connect power to it when built.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 13:47, newshound wrote:
On 7/22/2017 7:27 PM, ARW wrote:
[...]

Just that if you get a trip, you may have to reset two devices... (or if
its only one, it will be the one furthest from where you are now ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/22/2017 7:27 PM, ARW wrote:
[...]

Imaging the RCD as a condom. You wouldn't wear two of them would you?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/17 17:38, ARW wrote:

Imaging the RCD as a condom. You wouldn't wear two of them would you?

"Double bagging"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2017 18:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/07/17 17:38, ARW wrote:

Imaging the RCD as a condom. You wouldn't wear two of them would you?

"Double bagging"?

An ugly bird with extra safety.

So one bag over her head so you cannot see her face and one over your
head in case her bag falls off?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW aXXXwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Imaging the RCD as a condom. You wouldn't wear two of them would you?

Depends who you're poking, dunnit?

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield harry.m1b
escribió:

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket

How about one on a spike?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...utdoor-socket-
115026

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote on 23/07/2017 :
But is there any downside to being protected twice? Presumably RCDs are not
infallible. Also, that unit seems to have a "test" button which might give
extra comfort to the nervous.

The only downside, is that one or both might trip and when it does you
have to then guess which one.

I thought they all had a test button.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/23/2017 6:10 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/07/17 17:38, ARW wrote:

Imaging the RCD as a condom. You wouldn't wear two of them would you?

"Double bagging"?

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/24/2017 5:54 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound wrote on 23/07/2017 :
But is there any downside to being protected twice? Presumably RCDs
are not infallible. Also, that unit seems to have a "test" button
which might give extra comfort to the nervous.

The only downside, is that one or both might trip and when it does you
have to then guess which one.

I thought they all had a test button.

Yes, but this is a button you can push immediately before plugging in
the appliance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket

How about one on a spike?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...utdoor-socket-
115026

But there is no easy way of connecting the existing SWA to that.

I believe that that is just an extension lead on a spike with a 13A plug
on it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

If you can find a suitable surface, wall etc. to mount it on outdoors,
why not fit an outdoor socket

How about one on a spike?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...utdoor-socket-
115026

But there is no easy way of connecting the existing SWA to that.

I believe that that is just an extension lead on a spike with a 13A plug
on it.

Yup a proper wall mount outdoor socket on your own post/spike would be
a better bet IMHO.

--
Cheers,

John.