Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a sash lock for a Crittall patio door - any locksmiths around?

I need to replace the 1930s sash locks in a couple of Crittall patio
doors, but I can't find anything suitable. Can anyone help?

The lock slides into a metal pocket so needs to be no more than 16mm
thick by 102mm high. Setback is 67mm.

If I could find a euro lock case I'd be happy to cut a suitable opening
in the door for the lock barrel but the setback needs to be right (or
close) because I can't move the handles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 July 2017 12:56:16 UTC+1, wrote:

I need to replace the 1930s sash locks in a couple of Crittall patio
doors, but I can't find anything suitable. Can anyone help?

The lock slides into a metal pocket so needs to be no more than 16mm
thick by 102mm high. Setback is 67mm.

If I could find a euro lock case I'd be happy to cut a suitable opening
in the door for the lock barrel but the setback needs to be right (or
close) because I can't move the handles.

why can't you repair them? I don't know the details of the problem, but can fairly say that in most cases it's easier to repair.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 12:41:37 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 03/07/2017 17:17, wrote:
On 03/07/2017 14:25, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 3 July 2017 12:56:16 UTC+1, wrote:

I need to replace the 1930s sash locks in a couple of Crittall patio
doors, but I can't find anything suitable. Can anyone help?

The lock slides into a metal pocket so needs to be no more than 16mm
thick by 102mm high. Setback is 67mm.

If I could find a euro lock case I'd be happy to cut a suitable opening
in the door for the lock barrel but the setback needs to be right (or
close) because I can't move the handles.

why can't you repair them? I don't know the details of the problem,
but can fairly say that in most cases it's easier to repair.

... because the originals only have 2 levers and I would prefer 4 or 5
lever locks to get some worthwhile security. I've got additional
security bolts but that means more keys and I'd prefer to have one
decent lock.

Five lever locks are normally thicker, as the levers have a finite
thickness. However, even if you take the gubbins out of a 5 lever lock
and somehow get it into the old case, it won't meet the relevant BS. So,
it may not be sufficient for insurance purposes.

More misinformation. You don't need a BS 5 lever to get valid insurance. You just need to not lie about what you have.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:
[...]

Correct, which is why I said *may* not be sufficient ...

It depends on the policy and/or some insurers give a discount for
BScan't remember the number.

Any locksmiths hereabouts? How to impress a padlock. Help please Nick UK diy 11 October 8th 07 12:20 PM
Patio Ideas - Stepping Out With Stone Patio Designs And Brick Patio Patterns trav Home Repair 1 September 24th 07 03:15 PM
Crittall Thumbturns Rod UK diy 4 August 24th 07 09:40 PM
DG units for Crittall windows The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 November 15th 06 07:53 AM
Door sash lock plate thingy - where? Colin UK diy 3 October 10th 04 10:08 AM