Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Today's DIY +1 - iPhone 4S

Today's record for the tape, m'lud ...

iPhone 4S replaced power switch, which required a total disassembly of
all parts bar the screen, including philips headed screws of the
following various lengths -

1.2mm
1.3mm
1.5mm
1.6mm
2.4mm
2.5mm
2.6mm
2.7mm
3.6mm

Nice tolerances there... they were really going for shaving down the
external size. Several alarming ping-fukit moments, scrabbling around
the carpet for the bits that took flight.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...placement/7284

It's a flawed switch design, a small nodule of rubber on top of a
tactile spherical button that either crumbles or goes missing. A whole
replacement secondhand assembly (switch, ear spaker and light sensor)
from eBay china costs £3, and a couple of hours later it's all back
together fixed.

That ifixit website is not a bad effort for this, but doesn't have
adequate deep water warnings for the few that might attempt this as
their first bit of "electronics" - as evident by some of the in-article
comments.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 00:38:23 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

[...]

A 4s?
My sources tell me that's nearly 6 years old.
Get with the program Adrian ;-)

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

iPhone 4S replaced power switch

Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it worth repairing any phone older than a 5 these days?
Most people I know seem to feel its not due to the lack of updates and app
support for older devices.
Myself? well I have a dumb phone. The plus points are no stupid ringtones
no stupid touch screen, No screen at all. Real buttons, Talking interface by
default.
No email to bother you when you are out. No gps to run down the battery etc
etc.
There isa lot to be said for an old dumb phone of the now obsolete design.
Sadly nobody makes the genre any more for us sightless types, so when it
finally either breaks or 2G gets dumped completely, its going to have to
be some kind of smart device, but I'm resisting as long as I can.
I don't need a camera, but strangely the camera is the only bit of a smart
phone I wish I had as knfb reader app always paper docs to be read while
they are laid on a flat surface.This function used to cost hundreds of
pounds, now the app is under 60 quid.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

iPhone 4S replaced power switch

Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

Battery life seems to vary, I have some Sanyo phone batteries which are
still good after 15 years. The Tomtom batteries seem to die like flies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2017 00:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Today's record for the tape, m'lud ...

iPhone 4S replaced power switch, which required a total disassembly of
all parts bar the screen, including philips headed screws of the
following various lengths -

1.2mm
1.3mm
1.5mm
1.6mm
2.4mm
2.5mm
2.6mm
2.7mm
3.6mm

Nice tolerances there...

Hence a whole sub industry in the iDevice board level repair fraternity
broadly titled "long screw damage"!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Mike Tomlinson wrote :
Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

My 4S's original battery is still fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/27/2017 10:00 AM, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/06/2017 00:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Today's record for the tape, m'lud ...

iPhone 4S replaced power switch, which required a total disassembly of
all parts bar the screen, including philips headed screws of the
following various lengths -

1.2mm
1.3mm
1.5mm
1.6mm
2.4mm
2.5mm
2.6mm
2.7mm
3.6mm

Nice tolerances there...

Hence a whole sub industry in the iDevice board level repair fraternity
broadly titled "long screw damage"!

What a ******* of a design! I only have one apple device (MacBook Pro)
and have never needed to open it, fortunately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

iPhone 4S replaced power switch

Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

Yup. I've done that as well, Well, twice, as one scammed as "new" from
eBay turned out to be old (and genuine) with a new snazzy label stuck on
top. Fine, I bought a recycled power button and I'm happy with that -
but a recycled battery?

This 32-bit phone admittedly is old, and is no longer eligible for
updates and soon software from the apple site. Can do plenty of other
things with it

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

iPhone 4S replaced power switch

Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

Yup. I've done that as well, Well, twice, as one scammed as "new" from
eBay turned out to be old (and genuine) with a new snazzy label stuck on
top. Fine, I bought a recycled power button and I'm happy with that -
but a recycled battery?

This 32-bit phone admittedly is old, and is no longer eligible for
updates and soon software from the apple site. Can do plenty of other
things with it

I believe that thrown like a frisbee, they can knock a pheasant out at
50 paces.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Stuck a 1TB drive into the wife's macbook pro last year. Pleasantly
surprised how easy it was to do. At the same time discovered that the mac OS
could fix a drive attached to it via USB which neither linux or windows
could see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:31:42 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

[...]

You can still get candy-bar phones Brian I got an Alcatel for my wife
at Tesco, thay also do a similar Nokia.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Is it worth repairing any phone older than a 5 these days?

Not really unless you only need a very basic phone.

Most people I know seem to feel its not due to the lack of updates and app
support for older devices.

They were actually selling the 4S still quite recently.

Myself? well I have a dumb phone.

Sure, but your needs are very different to most of us.

The plus points are no stupid ringtones

You don’t have to change the ring tone.

no stupid touch screen, No screen at all. Real buttons,

That’s a massive downside for most of us now.

Talking interface by default.

Not what most of us need for reminders and quick checks
on basic stuff like where a particular shop has moved to etc.

No email to bother you when you are out.

Trivial to turn off if you don’t want that to happen.

No gps to run down the battery etc etc.

Trivial to turn off if you don’t want that to happen but very
handy when you need to go where you havent been before.

There isa lot to be said for an old dumb phone of the now obsolete design.

Very little actually with very decent smartphones
now so cheap like the Nexus 4 used.

Sadly nobody makes the genre any more for us sightless types,

Yes, you lot are such a small minority that you arent enough
of a market to matter anymore. But any decent smartphone
can be used entirely by voice now and that’s a lot better than
farting around with stupid phones even for the completely blind.

so when it finally either breaks or 2G gets dumped completely, its going
to have to be some kind of smart device, but I'm resisting as long as I
can.

Mad. It makes a lot more sense to use a decent modern smartphone
entirely by voice. I do that anyway even tho I can see the screen. And
use it instead of physical light switches around the house too.

I don't need a camera, but strangely the camera is the only bit of a smart
phone I wish I had as knfb reader app always paper docs to be read while
they are laid on a flat surface.This function used to cost hundreds of
pounds, now the app is under 60 quid.

Costs much less than that with a decent used smartphone.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 08:31:47 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it worth repairing any phone older than a 5 these days?
Most people I know seem to feel its not due to the lack of updates and app
support for older devices.

Myself? well I have a dumb phone. The plus points are no stupid ringtones

what is the advantage in that ?

As I have set up certain peole with certain ringtones that gives me an indication of how important the call might be, which usually means I can ignore it at the very least I have some idea who is calling me.

no stupid touch screen, No screen at all.

Hows that an advantage for anyone but you ?

Real buttons,

yuo mean those ones that get dirt and grit in them or where the legends rub off.

Talking interface by
default.
No email to bother you when you are out.

I;'m not sure that is an advantage as I can ignore emils far easier than I can a ringing phone.

No gps to run down the battery etc
etc.

I have a phone at home with no battery, no GPS, a disabled ringer and I can't take it out with me to annoy me, and it has a long cord on it making it difficult to lose. The biggest advantage is is that I can hold it up to my ear and still see the buttons and can press them too.

There isa lot to be said for an old dumb phone of the now obsolete design.

Yep I have an old nokia, I've not had to use it for months it just sits on the kitchen worksurface.

Sadly nobody makes the genre any more for us sightless types,

I think a lot of smartphones have voice regognition are yuo saying that's useless for sightless types. I'd have thought asking siri, what time is it, might be useful but obviously your dumb phone has another option like brail, or maybe a punched card output.

so when it
finally either breaks or 2G gets dumped completely,

Soon to happen.

its going to have to
be some kind of smart device, but I'm resisting as long as I can.

Most smart featrues can be turned off to some extent.

I don't need a camera, but strangely the camera is the only bit of a smart
phone I wish I had as knfb reader app always paper docs to be read while
they are laid on a flat surface.This function used to cost hundreds of
pounds, now the app is under 60 quid.

That sounds expensive for an app, I bet there;s cheaper options, although those with advertising may annoy you more than it would me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Mike Tomlinson wrote :
Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

My 4S's original battery is still fine.

My original Nokia still works too. Not sure if the battery has the same
capacity as new, but still good enough as a spare phone. Must be 20 odd
years old.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Mike Tomlinson wrote :
Might have been an idea to do the battery too, seeing as it must be 6
years old.

My 4S's original battery is still fine.

My original Nokia still works too. Not sure if the battery has the same
capacity as new, but still good enough as a spare phone. Must be 20 odd
years old.

I have an old one too, it still turns on but there are no analogue
networks to try it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
My original Nokia still works too. Not sure if the battery has the same
capacity as new, but still good enough as a spare phone. Must be 20 odd
years old.

I have an old one too, it still turns on but there are no analogue
networks to try it on.

My original analogue phone (Technophone) took ordinary AA cells in the
spare battery pack. Either Ni-Cad or alkaline.

The Nokia is digital and still works.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2017 12:35, pamela wrote:
On 00:38 27 Jun 2017, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Today's record for the tape, m'lud ...

iPhone 4S replaced power switch, which required a total
disassembly of all parts bar the screen, including philips
headed screws of the following various lengths -

1.2mm
1.3mm
1.5mm
1.6mm

2.4mm
2.5mm
2.6mm
2.7mm

With such similar sized screws, maybe some supplier slipped in a
range of sizes into a batch of what should have been a single
size.

No, that's common practice with apple kit. Causing damage with a longer
than expected screw in the wrong place on reassembly also far to common.

Google "long screw damage" and see which manufacturer's name always
comes up!

--
Cheers,

John.