Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default tv aerial masts

Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try this site a lot of information but easy to digest.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/

Richard
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Why not simply try an aerial in the loft first with a masthead
amp ? It shouldn't take more than an hour to decide on the best
position inside the loft fix up the aerial at the required
angle - maybe make further adjustments and see how it goes.

Then if that doesn't work is the time to start worrying about
the pole etc. From memory my internal aerial came ready
supplied with a short pole. Sufficient to position it
at least.

michael adams

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/17 12:20, jim wrote:
Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Steel rusts?

I didn't use a pole at all in my loft. Juts laid the antenna down on the
joists and lined it up using a compass and a map/

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Stephen laid this down on his screen :
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

A good signal straight from the antenna, is better than one which has
needed amplification. So if you are in a weak area, aim for a higher
gain antenna.

Height is only needed to find a line of sight over obstructions. A
antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

An alloy pole is the standard for TV antennas, because steel rusts. I
got the installer to just drop the coax end into the loft via the roof
tiles. It then plugs into a socket which takes the feed down through
the house, into a distribution unit. Then from that I took cables to
every room. With the cables safely inside, they last much longer and I
hate to see cables draped down houses, lose and flapping in the breeze.
The antenna has had to be replaced once since then, but having the
input socket in the loft, makes for a quicker and cheaper replacement.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf
He's a very clever chap him as wrote that. The article answers your mast
question as well as giving other vital information.

2. If necessary add a masthead amplifier.

3. If still no good put the aerial outside.

4. If still no good get Freesat.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid says...

Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Have you looked at the surrounding properties?

Do they all have masthead amps fitted?

If you can see several without external aerials it might
indicate that a loft aerial might be ok.

As has already been said, it won't take long to pop up to
loft with an aerial to see if it will work.

Java Jive's calculator can be handy:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...TerrestrialTV/
TerrestrialCalculator.shtml

If you go to the maps at the bottom after completing your
query, you can move the marker to your house and see exactly
which way your aerial should be pointing.

If your loft aerial seems to work ok, bear in mind that rain
can affect the signal level received. If you can find a 6dB
pad and insert it into the feed to the TV's input, it will
give you a reasonable indication of how much margin your
installation has (or not, as the case may be!)

--

Terry
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Steel rusts?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/17 12:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you
cant see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film
of water can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full
of rain can..

Wottaprat.

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:53, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

How far is far? In Manchester after the digital switchover plenty of
sets have tuners that will lock onto Welsh transmissions in a sidelobe
of antennas pointed at Winter Hill. It wouldn't be too bad but some
stupid sets put first found rather than strongest channels into the main
slots by default. Amusing to watch default tuning turn them all Welsh.
(unplugging the aerial while it scans the low range sorts it)

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf
He's a very clever chap him as wrote that. The article answers your mast
question as well as giving other vital information.

2. If necessary add a masthead amplifier.

3. If still no good put the aerial outside.

4. If still no good get Freesat.

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 June 2017 13:26:14 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy.

I think the channel numbering is much more sensible on Freesat too, and you can get the regional variations of BBC and ITV as well.

However:

- there are far fewer TVs with built-in Freesat compared to Freeview (DTTV) so you are more likely to need an extra box

- it's much easier to split an aerial signal to feed multiple receivers than a satellite signal which is usually limited to 4 outputs from a dish (8 on an octo LNB, or a multiswitch if more is required)

Owain

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:20, michael adams wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Mine blew off 20 years ago so as a quick temporary fix
I just just put it in the loft, pointing towards the
xmitter but used garden twine to attach it to the trusses
as high up as possible.

Works fine, even with three downleads feeding three
separate STB's.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/17 12:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you
cant see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film
of water can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full
of rain can..

Wottaprat.

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

Unless you have local interference, or 'gaps' (*) a log-periodic
aeriel is not as good as a bog standard 18 element job. Just don't
bother with a 'digital' aeriel because there is no such thing.

(*) Midhurst is group C/D but apparently will also at some point
broadcast using a frequency that a group C/D aeriel won't pick
up without an aeriel upgrade.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:53, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf

'FM proposed switch-off for 2015'

Phew, not yet.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

Fine if you only have one TV.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
- there are far fewer TVs with built-in Freesat compared to Freeview
(DTTV) so you are more likely to need an extra box

- it's much easier to split an aerial signal to feed multiple receivers
than a satellite signal which is usually limited to 4 outputs from a
dish (8 on an octo LNB, or a multiswitch if more is required)

Quite.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you cant
see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film of water
can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full of rain can..

Wottaprat.

Time of the month, or your age?

There is a big difference between a complete film of water (or snow)
and raindrops UHF can get around raindrops - though reception does
certainly degrade. Our transmitter a similar distance away, 20 miles.
When I first moved in here, I installed a loft antenna which proved to
be just marginal until it rained - then no reception. Once on the
chimney we had solid reception irrespective of weather - at least until
the coax broke down out in the weather. Which was why I went to the
trouble of finding a route down through the house.

I have a satellite system in the caravan with a rather too small dish
for portability, the reception of that can be seriously degraded by
thick rain bearing clouds.

How about an apology?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat rather
than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is dodgy. No point
in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m closer to a
geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does need a clear line of
sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary. My home dish is 8 foot off
the ground, my caravan's portable dish goes on the ground.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

Fine if you only have one TV.

Default dish LNB has (at least) four outputs these days and satellite
decoders are cheap - admittedly very few TVs are Freesat ready.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/17 13:38, dennis@home wrote:

Consider freesat.

I'm near to just considering just broadband ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

Fine if you only have one TV.

decoders are cheap - admittedly very few TVs are Freesat ready.

I'd say running four outputs from the dish is going to be a lot less
convenient than running four outputs from a UHF DA - which can be situated
pretty well where you want. Indeed you may not even need a DA - a splitter
can be OK if you have plenty signal.

But it would be a real problem here - I have a rotator on the dish. ;-)

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
[...]

Under really bad conditions - not just rainand snow but tropospheric -
a signal can fade as much as 26dB, at least when we did 450MHz links
that was always the planning margin.

I would look for at least a 12dB or preferably an 18db attenuator to
make sure.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Broom handle
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I think we would need much more details about your location to answer this
question.
What do the neighbours do? You can often get a good idea from that.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being
10m closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all.
Does need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the
way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary. My home dish is 8 foot off
the ground, my caravan's portable dish goes on the ground.

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over my
house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above ground - but
the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

I'm also around 20 miles from a transmitter (Bluebell Hill) and a short
periodic in the loft followed by a lowish gain amp worked perfectly for
me for over a year. I decided to install it on my chimney when I had
the roof replaced and the scaffolding made access to the roof easy.

A log periodic of around a metre in length is ideal for fitting in a
loft where space for it a larger array may be a problem.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat

Fine if you only have one TV.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

No, satellite IF distribution is easier than terrestrial.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 16:25, charles wrote:

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over my
house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above ground - but
the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

Or a lowered hedge...

--
Adam
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 15:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being
10m closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all.
Does need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the
way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary.

Sometimes the height is necessary because of an obstruction that can't
be seen from the street.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
wrote:
On 21/06/2017 16:25, charles wrote:

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over
my house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above
ground - but the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

Or a lowered hedge...

but, it's not mine.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

If you still want Freeview rather than Freesat, I suggest that you seek
advice as to what aerial to get.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:43:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

- it's much easier to split an aerial signal to feed multiple

receivers
than a satellite signal which is usually limited to 4 outputs from

dish (8 on an octo LNB, or a multiswitch if more is required)

If you have enough DDTV signal to split. A passive 4 way split will
cost you at least 6 dB. 8 way split would almost certainly need an
amp so is pretty much the same as a multiswitch.

Quite.

The other advantage of Freesat is the higher bit rates and thus
better quality. Freeview is barely watchable. More channels to flip
through and decide they are all crap. B-_

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Sometimes the height is necessary because of an obstruction that can't be
seen from the street.

Bill

And a low chimney mounting can be far more subtle than a dish on the front
elevation of the property.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Doctor D" wrote in message
o.uk...

Sometimes the height is necessary because of an obstruction that
can't be seen from the street.

Bill

And a low chimney mounting can be far more subtle than a dish on the
front elevation of the property.

That is something that often annoys me. Unless the house roof is
particularly tall in most cases a dish on a pole about 1m above the
gutter will see over the roof from the back. Saves all of those
monstrous carbuncles on the front! IMO they are fitted on the front
for the convenience of the installer and using less cable in most
cases.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2017 10:03, Woody wrote:

That is something that often annoys me. Unless the house roof is
particularly tall in most cases a dish on a pole about 1m above the
gutter will see over the roof from the back. Saves all of those
monstrous carbuncles on the front! IMO they are fitted on the front
for the convenience of the installer and using less cable in most
cases.

Mine is on the front of the house because it is the only place it could
go and "see" the satellite through the gap between the chimneys of a
house across the road and the tree in its neighbour's garden. If I
mounted it at the back of the house, I would have to screw the pole to
my neighbour's house in order to see through that same gap. That would
not have been neighbourly.

Sometimes, practicalities have to take priority over aesthetics.

Jim
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2017 10:03, Woody wrote:

That is something that often annoys me. Unless the house roof is
particularly tall in most cases a dish on a pole about 1m above the
gutter will see over the roof from the back. Saves all of those
monstrous carbuncles on the front! IMO they are fitted on the front
for the convenience of the installer and using less cable in most
cases.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/referen...ed-by-roof.pdf

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
[...]

I mounted my dish at ground level, facing my terraced house, at the far end
of my back garden under a tree. Satellites are well above the roof level
from there. I painted the dish black for minimum visibility.
--
Dave W

Stainless dish masts Windmill[_5_] UK diy 20 October 8th 13 11:14 AM
How to find Voda mobile phone masts Peter Scott UK diy 21 January 18th 10 03:43 PM
What is web site where I can enquire about phone masts, flood plain etc? Mike Mitchell UK diy 41 July 20th 04 01:15 PM
New aerial set up Doctor D. UK diy 4 September 15th 03 12:11 AM
Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there! David Aldridge UK diy 31 July 28th 03 07:35 PM