Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A substitute for resin fixings

I've recently been using resin fixings in walls that are hard to mount stuff on and have used them for a TV bracket and microwave oven bracket.

They're great for really heavy stuff but quite expensive with the resin, nozzels, bits of studding required.

I'm thinking of adapting the technique for stuff that's less heavy by sticking a piece of slimmer studding in hole with "No More Nails" type stuff and letting it set overnight.

I'm wondering what brand of the stuff would be best for this - something that dries nice and hard/solid. Stixall?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/17 17:48, Murmansk wrote:
I've recently been using resin fixings in walls that are hard to mount stuff on and have used them for a TV bracket and microwave oven bracket.

They're great for really heavy stuff but quite expensive with the resin, nozzels, bits of studding required.

I'm thinking of adapting the technique for stuff that's less heavy by sticking a piece of slimmer studding in hole with "No More Nails" type stuff and letting it set overnight.

I'm wondering what brand of the stuff would be best for this - something that dries nice and hard/solid. Stixall?

Two part epoxy? You can buy it in 'tubs' which is cheaper than the small
tubes if you need a lot but I'm not sure if it will be cost effective
compared to the 'proper' resin stuff. Either way, removing the dust is
key, an air line would help. Twist the studding in to ensure it fills
the voids. Also, a 'blind' hole- not into the cavity, assuming it is a
cavity wall. Try to keep the stud in the middle somehow, perhaps a
cardboard template?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/17 17:48, Murmansk wrote:
I've recently been using resin fixings in walls that are hard to mount stuff on and have used them for a TV bracket and microwave oven bracket.

They're great for really heavy stuff but quite expensive with the resin, nozzels, bits of studding required.

I'm thinking of adapting the technique for stuff that's less heavy by sticking a piece of slimmer studding in hole with "No More Nails" type stuff and letting it set overnight.

I'm wondering what brand of the stuff would be best for this - something that dries nice and hard/solid. Stixall?

Why?

Just use Screwfix's no nonsense resin - it's cheap enough...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

£5.99

And you know it works. No more nails costs about the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 21:10:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

£5.99

And you know it works. No more nails costs about the same.

No more nails is a quid from poundland. But resin's not expensive, a cartridge lasts years if you tinfoil cap it. If you don't want to pay for studding just resin a wallplug in & use a screw later. Epoxy can be got for £1 at poundland too if you're brassic. Glue a bit of wood in the hole and not much gets used.

If you want to cut costs even further, just use ordinary wall filler, pushing a wallplug into it, let it set 2 days then screw in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had to laugh a few years ago when in a shop there were video screens either
side of a plasterboard wall and all they had done is put bolts through the
plasterboard so if somebody wanted to take one down the other would fall off
as well.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/17 09:18, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

Dunno - why don't you have a look? I'm not your monkey butler...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 21:10:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

£5.99

And you know it works. No more nails costs about the same.

No more nails is a quid from poundland. But resin's not expensive, a cartridge lasts years if you tinfoil cap it.

and have a ready supply of extra mixing nozzles.....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

and just how big (w x d) were these holes you did in this "method"?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2017 11:33, jim wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

and just how big (w x d) were these holes you did in this "method"?

I just use a 2 part polyester filler e.g. Profil from Toolstation
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Stuart Noble Wrote in message:
On 01/06/2017 11:33, jim wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

and just how big (w x d) were these holes you did in this "method"?

I just use a 2 part polyester filler e.g. Profil from Toolstation

Profill (with 2 Ls) appears to be not unlike car body filler?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Murmansk Wrote in message:
I've recently been using resin fixings in walls that are hard to mount stuff on and have used them for a TV bracket and microwave oven bracket.

They're great for really heavy stuff but quite expensive with the resin, nozzels, bits of studding required.

I'm thinking of adapting the technique for stuff that's less heavy by sticking a piece of slimmer studding in hole with "No More Nails" type stuff and letting it set overnight.

I'm wondering what brand of the stuff would be best for this - something that dries nice and hard/solid. Stixall?

Stixall etc (modified silicone) has some flex when set...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2017 11:33, jim wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

and just how big (w x d) were these holes you did in this "method"?

I just use a 2 part polyester filler e.g. Profil from Toolstation

Profill (with 2 Ls) appears to be not unlike car body filler
?

A bit more gloopy, but that's a good indication of resin content
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k Wrote in message:
Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 1 June 2017 09:18:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/17 19:24, Murmansk wrote:
I hoping for something a bit less viscous that comes in a single tube
and can be just squirted in - apart from that epoxy would be very good
and probably even more solid than the "real" stuff!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ke...in-175ml/5650j

"Suitable for repetitive use by renewing nozzle"

Do they sell replacement nozzles?

About 50p each when I last bought them, for a different style of cart. But if you're just doing a few holes there's no point getting nozzles, just squeeze a bit out, mix it with a matchstick and stuff the hole.

and just how big (w x d) were these holes you did in this "method"?

Thought so.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 June 2017 10:38:20 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 01/06/2017 14:32, jim wrote:
Stuart Noble Wrote in message:

I just use a 2 part polyester filler e.g. Profil from Toolstation

Profill (with 2 Ls) appears to be not unlike car body filler
?

A bit more gloopy, but that's a good indication of resin content

If necessary gloopiness can be made livable by stuffing things into the gaps that help hold the gloop in place. Screws, slivers of wood etc.

I've mixed sand in before too, but not convinced this would be a good app for that.

NT

Resin fixings for someone new to them Murmansk UK diy 14 May 11th 17 09:02 PM
Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 1 December 6th 10 05:20 PM
Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 0 December 6th 10 12:51 PM
Resin anchor fixings robngill UK diy 12 March 5th 07 09:54 PM
Shelving and fixings -polyester resin? Ashley UK diy 9 October 24th 03 11:31 PM