Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How not to fit a socket.

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 May 2017 08:57:32 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Clearly an anti-theft precaution. Anyone wanting to steal it would
need two different screwdrivers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Clearly an anti-theft precaution. Anyone wanting to steal it would
need two different screwdrivers.

I did wonder if possibly it had been used for drug dealers to hide
stuff in at some time while dealing and someone decided to make it a
little more awkard to access.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I could not see this of course, but the comments reminded me of some things
which I encountered in the Canary Islands back in the 80s.
Two pin sockets with the earth lead dangling terminated by a little choc
block. The plug was basically one where the wires are just poked into holes
in screw in pins. No shroud and fingers of wire hang out around the edges.
This was a bedside light and the lead was not long enough so somebody had
soldered the ends of two cables together to make it longer and wrapped it in
cheap pvc tape. the earth was left unconnected , no not even into the choc
block.

Then there was the fridge socket, a kind of American looking one with earth
as a strip on the side of the plug, but the socket it went into had
obviously been broken at some time, and it was glued together with what
looked like Evo Stik and the crack was opening up as you inserted the plug
so the earth strip never made contact to anything.
I do sometimes wonder how any British holiday makers survived.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I could not see this of course...

A double socket secured - sort of - by four tightly-fitting woodscrews, one
in the centre of each edge, their heads only just gripping the faceplate.
Though curiously, the usual fixing screws are also in place. Better safe
than sorry?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 21 May 2017 10:59:13 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I could not see this of course...

A double socket secured - sort of - by four tightly-fitting woodscrews, one
in the centre of each edge, their heads only just gripping the faceplate.
Though curiously, the usual fixing screws are also in place. Better safe
than sorry?

No backbox I bet. M3.5s just in there for show, probably glued in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I could not see this of course...

A double socket secured - sort of - by four tightly-fitting woodscrews, one
in the centre of each edge, their heads only just gripping the faceplate.
Though curiously, the usual fixing screws are also in place. Better safe
than sorry?

No backbox I bet. M3.5s just in there for show, probably glued in.

NT

Back box probably still there but come loose off wall hence the four screws holding the faceplate to timber cladding.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

You don't see those Crabtree sockets around much these days - beautiful
design. You can switch them off with a foot - but not on.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Clearly an anti-theft precaution. Anyone wanting to steal it would
need two different screwdrivers.

I did wonder if possibly it had been used for drug dealers to hide
stuff in at some time while dealing and someone decided to make it a
little more awkard to access.

More like the back box fixing to the T&G has not worked. Very common with
bodgers.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

You don't see those Crabtree sockets around much these days - beautiful
design.

You can switch them off with a foot - but not on.

I hope that is not an euphemism for a 12 inch penis.....

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2017 08:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Pure class. A brass scratched socket with red paint on it and 4 PZ2 screws.

I thought that the Aigburth Arms was closed?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Clearly an anti-theft precaution. Anyone wanting to steal it would
need two different screwdrivers.

I did wonder if possibly it had been used for drug dealers to hide
stuff in at some time while dealing and someone decided to make it a
little more awkard to access.

But not by Sun readers :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 21/05/2017 08:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

Pure class. A brass scratched socket with red paint on it and 4 PZ2
screws.

I thought that the Aigburth Arms was closed?

That socket is about 40 years old - they changed the design round about
then. Much to the chagrin of many architects who loved the old one.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

You don't see those Crabtree sockets around much these days - beautiful
design.

You can switch them off with a foot - but not on.

I hope that is not an euphemism for a 12 inch penis.....

I don't cater for fantasy. ;-)

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

My guess is that they've clad the wall with timber and then found that the
socket screws don't reach the backbox, so instead of buying longer screws,
they've bodged it with normal woodscrews

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 May 2017 14:04:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

You don't see those Crabtree sockets around much these days - beautiful
design.

You can switch them off with a foot - but not on.

I hope that is not an euphemism for a 12 inch penis.....

I don't cater for fantasy. ;-)

Or use it as a rule :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

My guess is that they've clad the wall with timber and then found that
the socket screws don't reach the backbox, so instead of buying longer
screws, they've bodged it with normal woodscrews

But the ordinary plate fixing screws are still in place? And are likely
longer ones as they look to be chrome rather than antique bronze?

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW aXXXwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

I thought that the Aigburth Arms was closed?

Not quite that meffy The Ship and Mitre on Dale St.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

I thought that the Aigburth Arms was closed?

Not quite that meffy The Ship and Mitre on Dale St.

The outside seating is definitely a good example of DIY.
https://goo.gl/maps/n5y2DvX4EGF2

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

My guess is that they've clad the wall with timber and then found that
the socket screws don't reach the backbox, so instead of buying longer
screws, they've bodged it with normal woodscrews

But the ordinary plate fixing screws are still in place? And are likely
longer ones as they look to be chrome rather than antique bronze?

What is antique bronze? Is it something that looks like it needs a
polish:-)?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

My guess is that they've clad the wall with timber and then found that
the socket screws don't reach the backbox, so instead of buying longer
screws, they've bodged it with normal woodscrews

But the ordinary plate fixing screws are still in place? And are likely
longer ones as they look to be chrome rather than antique bronze?

What is antique bronze? Is it something that looks like it needs a
polish:-)?

I'm surprised at you. Not knowing the Crabtree catalogue intimately. ;-)

But then that design might be before your time.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , damduck-
escribió:

The outside seating is definitely a good example of DIY.
https://goo.gl/maps/n5y2DvX4EGF2

The inside isn't much better. The bar is built in the shape of a ship.
Bare floorboards, etc. Sounds much worse than it is. Unpretentious
place with beers from all over the world. Varied clientele from suits
to students.

This is why I (and other beer lovers) go:

https://eyeofthecider.files.wordpres...hip-and-mitre-
liverpool.jpg

That's their normal menu, not a special/festival one.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2jjh4w26j..._9444.JPG?dl=0

My guess is that they've clad the wall with timber and then found that
the socket screws don't reach the backbox, so instead of buying longer
screws, they've bodged it with normal woodscrews

But the ordinary plate fixing screws are still in place? And are likely
longer ones as they look to be chrome rather than antique bronze?

What is antique bronze? Is it something that looks like it needs a
polish:-)?

I'm surprised at you. Not knowing the Crabtree catalogue intimately. ;-)

And neither do I. Seems the correct name is coinage bronze. ;-)

But then that design might be before your time.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.