Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default squealers

a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 03/05/2017 19:13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Bit of a length of string question, vz quality of pads/driving
style/wear level of discs etc..
Might get a better guestimate over in
uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:13:44 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had
no idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Until he pops the pads out and puts a smear of copper grease on the
back of 'em where the pistons bear and maybe where the pads are held
by the caliper?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You sure its not the fan belt slipping due to load of hydraulic pump?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You sure its not the fan belt slipping due to load of hydraulic pump?
Brian

yes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You sure its not the fan belt slipping due to load of hydraulic pump?
Brian

yes

you don't hear it until you lightly touch the brakes and it goes away under
heavy breaking as you would expect...just surprised the pads on a car like
that doesn't have an electrical warning system.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 May 2017 19:13:44 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had
no idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

And there was me thinking this was another thread about Adam's women.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:13:39 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Just change them. Pads are inexpensive, but new discs are!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:13:39 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had
no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Just change them. Pads are inexpensive, but new discs are!

he just wanted to know how long he could drive it for waiting for an
appointment to get it fixed ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/05/2017 10:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:13:39 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I had
no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Just change them. Pads are inexpensive, but new discs are!

he just wanted to know how long he could drive it for waiting for an
appointment to get it fixed ......

He should be good for a couple of weeks, at least.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:13:39 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I
had
no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Just change them. Pads are inexpensive, but new discs are!

he just wanted to know how long he could drive it for waiting for an
appointment to get it fixed ......

He should be good for a couple of weeks, at least.

thought that myself...thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:13:39 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
a friend brought his Sedona to me today the front squealer had started
squealing...how long can he drive it for before the brakes go? ....I
had
no
idea.....but I wouldn't drive far like that....

Just change them. Pads are inexpensive, but new discs are!

he just wanted to know how long he could drive it for waiting for an
appointment to get it fixed ......

He should be good for a couple of weeks, at least.

thought that myself...thanks

I'd never give advice like that without more information. They could be
squealing because the pads are worn right down to the steel backing.
Indeed I've seen them worn right to the piston!

Plus we have no idea how may miles the OP drives each week. It could be
1000s

So you say a couple of weeks and four days later the crash and die due
to failed brakes!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg

....you guys are so un-hip it is a wonder your bums don't fall off ....tee
hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 May 2017 17:25:11 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg

...you guys are so un-hip it is a wonder your bums don't fall off
....tee hee

Nope! Still can't shake that mental image of "Billy Bunter"(tm) whenever
I see the 'phrase' "....tee hee".

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg

...you guys are so un-hip it is a wonder your bums don't fall off
....tee hee

Nope! Still can't shake that mental image of "Billy Bunter"(tm)
whenever
I see the 'phrase' "....tee hee".

I'm not the only one, then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuScoY8Rhvg

...you guys are so un-hip it is a wonder your bums don't fall off
....tee hee

Nope! Still can't shake that mental image of "Billy Bunter"(tm) whenever
I see the 'phrase' "....tee hee".

crikey shirley not...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK I will come clean...up to two years ago when I had to get the wife to do
the pads and discs on my Suzuki wagon r when I was just out of a liver
transplant I had no idea what the wee bits of metal were sticking out out
two of the four brake shoes we were about to fit...we fitted them anyway and
it was only a few months later I found out what they were..and I have been
working on all sorts of cars for 47 years.....so...sorry I was just having a
bit of fun and my pals Sedona was the first time I ever heard them
working!....sorry all..tee hee..and yes you do learn something new every
day......