DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Neat CCTV camera installation (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/589324-neat-cctv-camera-installation.html)

Mike Tomlinson April 27th 17 08:18 AM

Neat CCTV camera installation

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Dennis@home April 27th 17 11:00 AM

On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

You don't want dome cameras pointing down if they can get wet from
weather, etc.

The water forms drops on the bottom which means that part of the picture
will be distorted and/or fuzzy.

I would go as far as to say unheated domes shouldn't be anywhere they
can get wet if they are there for surveillance.

Jeff Layman[_2_] April 27th 17 01:18 PM

On 27/04/17 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful.

--

Jeff

Mike Tomlinson April 27th 17 01:31 PM

Neat CCTV camera installation

En el artículo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West

Bill Wright[_3_] April 27th 17 01:39 PM

Neat CCTV camera installation

On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

Clive Arthur April 27th 17 01:57 PM

Neat CCTV camera installation

On 27/04/2017 13:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers
--
Clive

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] April 27th 17 02:15 PM

On 27/04/17 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...ot-800x600.jpg

works

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Bod[_3_] April 27th 17 02:20 PM

Just paste https://arstechnica.co.uk into Google.

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] April 27th 17 02:31 PM

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 27/04/2017 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

Just paste https://arstechnica.co.uk into Google.

The correct link without wrapping is https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...ot-800x600.jpg
Obviously you (Bill) didn't join the bits together well enough, and Mike was stupid enough to wrap his lines.

Looks kinda impossible to sneak up on that to remove it.

--
Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Capitol April 27th 17 02:43 PM

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 27/04/2017 13:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers

Lights?

[email protected] April 27th 17 03:51 PM

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 13:18:38 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful.

My guess - railway station, pointed at the ticket barriers, each camera is focused on one gate, and receives a feed from the gate of the ticket data read from the magstripe (or smartcard etc) which is superimposed on the recorded video.

Similar is used on shops where the till is linked to the CCTV so the owner can prove if the assistant isn't scanning items and letting friends have freebies.

Owain

Bob Minchin[_4_] April 27th 17 04:58 PM

escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers

Lights?

That's what went through my mind. The motor could be for a gate and the
lights some sort of status of the gate.
Cant otherwise see why three cameras apparent staring in the same
direction as well as a Standard looking pan and tilt camera.

Mike Tomlinson April 27th 17 05:11 PM

Neat CCTV camera installation

En el artículo , Bob Minchin bob.minchinREM
escribió:

Lights?

That's what went through my mind

No, they're definitely cameras. if you look at the domes, the lenses
inside are pointing in slightly different directions (more or less
towards the photographer). The one above is pointing 90 degrees away
from them.

The suggestion of them pointing at different ticket barriers is a good
idea.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West