Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neat CCTV camera installation

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

You don't want dome cameras pointing down if they can get wet from
weather, etc.

The water forms drops on the bottom which means that part of the picture
will be distorted and/or fuzzy.

I would go as far as to say unheated domes shouldn't be anywhere they
can get wet if they are there for surveillance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/17 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think
they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it
not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing
down?

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2017 13:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/17 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...ot-800x600.jpg

works

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2017 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

Just paste https://arstechnica.co.uk into Google.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 27/04/2017 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

Just paste https://arstechnica.co.uk into Google.

The correct link without wrapping is https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...ot-800x600.jpg
Obviously you (Bill) didn't join the bits together well enough, and Mike was stupid enough to wrap his lines.

Looks kinda impossible to sneak up on that to remove it.

--
Can fat people go skinny-dipping?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 27/04/2017 13:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Jeff Layman
escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers

Lights?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 April 2017 13:18:38 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful.

My guess - railway station, pointed at the ticket barriers, each camera is focused on one gate, and receives a feed from the gate of the ticket data read from the magstripe (or smartcard etc) which is superimposed on the recorded video.

Similar is used on shops where the till is linked to the CCTV so the owner can prove if the assistant isn't scanning items and letting friends have freebies.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right
next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it
caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the
three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of
the sign visible on the left.

Maybe they're not cameras.

Cheers

Lights?

That's what went through my mind. The motor could be for a gate and the
lights some sort of status of the gate.
Cant otherwise see why three cameras apparent staring in the same
direction as well as a Standard looking pan and tilt camera.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/17 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...3/2017/04/iot-
800x600.jpg

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse
technica anyway?

Bill

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...ot-800x600.jpg

works

Thank you

Bill

Neat installation - but..... DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 9 March 8th 16 12:42 PM
CCTV Camera DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 7 October 22nd 14 07:26 PM
Oudoor CCTV Camera [email protected] UK diy 12 May 17th 08 01:54 PM
CCTV camera mattyh UK diy 10 August 16th 07 07:39 PM
cctv camera web site? mrcheerful UK diy 14 January 25th 05 08:53 PM