Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fixings to fit 7.5kg loads on foam backed plasterboard?

Hi-

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of insulating polystyrene.

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

Can someone suggest the best type of wall fixings to use for this? A spring toggle type will not work because the polystyrene will stop it from deploying.

Has anyone else attached something heavy to a similar wall?

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/04/2017 14:57, dennis@home wrote:

That's not heavy.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...+Anchor/p36548

or these?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p55036

You might want to fit a batten using them and then use screws to fix the
speaker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for both responses
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2017 15:00, GB wrote:
On 14/04/2017 14:57, dennis@home wrote:

That's not heavy.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...+Anchor/p36548

or these?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p55036

You might want to fit a batten using them and then use screws to fix the
speaker.

I haven't had much success with those.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to
mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of
insulating polystyrene. Each speaker and mount together weigh just
over 7.5kg.

that's not that heavy: "grip-its" would be my choice.

But you'll need their undercutting tool (or a home made equivalent, e.g.
allen key in chuck) to remove the backing foam, to allow the blades to
deploy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Tim Watts wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to
mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of
insulating polystyrene. Each speaker and mount together weigh just
over 7.5kg.

that's not that heavy: "grip-its" would be my choice.

But you'll need their undercutting tool (or a home made equivalent, e.g.
allen key in chuck) to remove the backing foam, to allow the blades to
deploy.

Presumably you could do that & use an ordinary plug (e.g. uno)?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/17 18:02, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Tim Watts wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to
mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of
insulating polystyrene. Each speaker and mount together weigh just
over 7.5kg.

that's not that heavy: "grip-its" would be my choice.

But you'll need their undercutting tool (or a home made equivalent, e.g.
allen key in chuck) to remove the backing foam, to allow the blades to
deploy.

Presumably you could do that & use an ordinary plug (e.g. uno)
?

Won't be sufficient for 7.5kg IMO. The Grip-Its give 100% coupling of
load to the plasterboard with stated max loadings. The only remaining
question is "how well is the plasterboard fixed".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 14/04/17 18:02, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Tim Watts wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to
mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of
insulating polystyrene. Each speaker and mount together weigh just
over 7.5kg.

that's not that heavy: "grip-its" would be my choice.

But you'll need their undercutting tool (or a home made equivalent, e.g.
allen key in chuck) to remove the backing foam, to allow the blades to
deploy.

Presumably you could do that & use an ordinary plug (e.g. uno)
?

Won't be sufficient for 7.5kg IMO. The Grip-Its give 100% coupling of
load to the plasterboard with stated max loadings. The only remaining
question is "how well is the plasterboard fixed".

Mmm suppose depends how many fixings over what area? & how far
from the wall the extremities of the speaker is?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/14/2017 8:03 PM, jim wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 14/04/17 18:02, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Tim Watts wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

[...]

The biggest grip-its would be my thought too, but I would be quite
inclined to use them to hold a piece of plywood in place (perhaps glued
on with no more nails too), and then screw the speakers to that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

The biggest grip-its would be my thought too

Even the smallest grip-its are rated for 19x the speaker weight ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of insulating polystyrene.

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

Can someone suggest the best type of wall fixings to use for this? A
spring toggle type will not work because the polystyrene will stop it
from deploying.

Has anyone else attached something heavy to a similar wall?

If they are on the sort of brackets where the speaker angle can be
adjusted, the loading on the fixing may be rather higher than something
which just mounted the speaker flush to the wall.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If they are on the sort of brackets where the speaker angle can be
adjusted, the loading on the fixing may be rather higher than something
which just mounted the speaker flush to the wall.

The grip-its do give a table of safe weights at various cantilever
distances, though that's given for 15mm plasterboard, so would need
de-rating for 12.5mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If they are on the sort of brackets where the speaker angle can be
adjusted, the loading on the fixing may be rather higher than something
which just mounted the speaker flush to the wall.

The grip-its do give a table of safe weights at various cantilever
distances, though that's given for 15mm plasterboard, so would need
de-rating for 12.5mm

Perhaps it's just my built in sense of doom, but I'd not mount anything of
any weight and value direct to plasterboard.

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/14/2017 8:45 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

The biggest grip-its would be my thought too

Even the smallest grip-its are rated for 19x the speaker weight ...

But I am a skeptic.

And you need to think about the geometry. In this sort of case, you
typically have four fixings at the corner of a plate, and then the
"speaker" applies both a translational force and a moment to the plate.
So the bottom fixings see shear forces while the top see pull-out ones.
The total shear force is the weight of the "speaker" plus bracket. The
pull-out force depends on the geometry and may well be greater than the
speaker weight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

newshound wrote:

tomm26asus wrote:

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

The biggest grip-its would be my thought too

Even the smallest grip-its are rated for 19x the speaker weight ...

But I am a skeptic.

And you need to think about the geometry. In this sort of case, you
typically have four fixings at the corner of a plate, and then the
"speaker" applies both a translational force and a moment to the plate.
So the bottom fixings see shear forces while the top see pull-out ones.
The total shear force is the weight of the "speaker" plus bracket. The
pull-out force depends on the geometry and may well be greater than the
speaker weight.

I'm sure you can make out a case for frame fixings into the masonry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps it's just my built in sense of doom, but I'd not mount anything of
any weight and value direct to plasterboard.

I initially had similar thoughts several years ago when I took the
"risk" of fixing speakers of a similar weight to plasterboard. I used
metal hollow wall anchors http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36548 and
they survived without any problem and were still rock solid when I
recently moved the speakers elsewhere.

--
Mike Clarke