Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hello?

Sorry to send a test message, but the latest post I've received in this
group was dated Friday 24th March at 7.23pm and I'm wondering if my ISP has
quietly dropped Usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:

Sorry to send a test message, but the latest post I've received in this
group was dated Friday 24th March at 7.23pm and I'm wondering if my ISP has
quietly dropped Usenet.

I see 36 messages since Graham's treadmill post (plus however many my
filters have weeded out).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:

I'm wondering if my ISP has quietly dropped Usenet.

I use NIN for most groups including this one, you seem to be a
BT/plusnet customer using their outsourced giganews server, I do
subscribe to a couple of groups using that server and saw posts up until
about midnight there, none so far today, but that's not so unusual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy, thanks for that. Yes, I'm with Plusnet but have always found their
Usenet service to reliable. Maybe it's just a temporary glitch: certainly,
my own post and your two replies came though pretty much immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, Jim. New messages seems to appearing now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Bert Coules" Wrote in message:
Andy, thanks for that. Yes, I'm with Plusnet but have always found their
Usenet service to reliable. Maybe it's just a temporary glitch: certainly,
my own post and your two replies came though pretty much immediately.

I'm with Plusnet too & delays are not unusual ime

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Goodbye?

Bert Coules wrote

Sorry to send a test message, but the latest post I've received in this
group was dated Friday 24th March at 7.23pm and I'm wondering
if my ISP has quietly dropped Usenet.

Yes it has, and you too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JIm,

...but it does happen frequently
~once every couple of days?

I haven't noticed it happening anything like as frequently as that; if I
had, I wouldn't have been surprised by today's instance. But all seems well
for now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Bert Coules" Wrote in message:
Thanks, Jim. New messages seems to appearing now.

Yup.
My usual experience is no new messages for a noticeable period of
time, then usually some hours later (I.e. when ICBA) it's all
caught up again, til the next time...
Not really studied the
timing or looked for patterns, but it does happen frequently
~once every couple of days?

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you get news via giganews or other outside system, they really cannot
stop you as surely an address of a server is an address of a server to you
isp, it should not care what its for.

More likely there is a problem with the feed somewhere down the stream. It
is true that there are fewer news servers that we are allowed to use than
there used to be when every university and government agency had one and
isps provided them.
Virgin still do but I don't think many people actually care if its working
or not as I think its outsourced to somebody else.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sorry to send a test message, but the latest post I've received in this
group was dated Friday 24th March at 7.23pm and I'm wondering if my ISP
has quietly dropped Usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian, thanks for that. Whatever it was, everything seems to be up and
running now.