Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable LEDs

Are dimmable LEDs (GU10) always marked as such?

If not - is there a way I can check? Will I cause damage if I try?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2017 18:30, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are dimmable LEDs (GU10) always marked as such?

Most brands are.

If not - is there a way I can check? Will I cause damage if I try?

They will just not dim or will flicker. As will the dimmable onea when
using an incompatible dimmer!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 March 2017 18:30:07 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are dimmable LEDs (GU10) always marked as such?

If not - is there a way I can check? Will I cause damage if I try?

LEDs with a CR supply fry when dimmed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/17 18:50, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 18:30, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are dimmable LEDs (GU10) always marked as such?

Most brands are.

If not - is there a way I can check? Will I cause damage if I try?

They will just not dim or will flicker. As will the dimmable onea when
using an incompatible dimmer!

I just got some new candle LEDs (SES base) from LedHut:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e...pe%5D =Candle

I got the 4W "filament" style to replace a bunch of the 5W single LED on
the same page: the 5W had blown several just under the 2 year basic
guarantee (I can never be arsed to send in that form for the 5 year
warranty).

Anyway, LEDHut credited me without fuss and without wanting the old ones
back, so I used to to try the 4W...

Backstory aside:

The 5W are single LED, heavy-ish and clearly have a driver circuit. So
this makes them hard to dim as the driver has to do a certain amount of
magic.

The 4W seem to have no driver and are glass enveloped, and are about as
light as a filament bulb.

I'm guessing they are just a string of LED chips more or less straight
across the mains, with the other "filament" the other way around? Maybe
with a reactive limiter??? (If anyone knows, I'll be interested).

They dim more smoothly - but have the side effect that at low levels,
different bulbs are slightly different brightnesses .