Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burning Wood to make Tea

I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 March 2017 12:48:14 UTC, john.west wrote:
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.

A storm kettle / ghillie kettle which you keep the water in and take with you

http://www.eydonkettle.com/the_poppin_storm_kettle.php

http://www.skylandequipment.com/kell...base-camp.html

Or an old baked bean tin with a loop of wire for a handle suspended on a forked twig.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john.west" wrote in message
news
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they are
quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

What we do is have a couple of bricks, with the kindling
between them, and a billy sitting on the bricks. Should
work just as well with a metal kettle.
https://media.travstar.com.au/media/...sT_640x960.jpg

Or this
http://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/wp-.../Billy-Tea.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"john.west" wrote in message
news
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment.

What we do is have a couple of bricks, with the kindling
between them, and a billy sitting on the bricks. Should
work just as well with a metal kettle.

Agreed. One tip, from Boy Scout days. Should you intend to clean the
outside of the billy can/kettle, smear it with washing up liquid before
use. The black marks then wash off. Otherwise, expect a long job with a
Brillo pad. Alternatively, just live with it black :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 March 2017 12:48:14 UTC, john.west wrote:
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

There used to be a kettle with a hole up themiddle where a fire could be put.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20-Mar-17 12:48 PM, john.west wrote:
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

First check your allotment rules. Some don't allow open fires at certain
times of the year and a few ban them entirely.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:24:43 AM UTC, harry wrote:
On Monday, 20 March 2017 12:48:14 UTC, john.west wrote:
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

There used to be a kettle with a hole up themiddle where a fire could be put.
ISTR it was called a volcano.

and wasn't its claim to fame that you could boil a kettle of water using one issue of the Times?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 9:24:43 AM UTC, harry wrote:
On Monday, 20 March 2017 12:48:14 UTC, john.west wrote:
I wish to boil up water to make cups of tea on my quiet corner of the
Allotment. I want to be using the bits of wood which always seems to be
available around the place.
There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

There used to be a kettle with a hole up themiddle where a fire could be put.
ISTR it was called a volcano.

and wasn't its claim to fame that you could boil a kettle of water using
one issue of the Times?

Robert

My memory of the Volcano was that boiling water would gush out the spout
readily if you overfilled it slightly and that it was horribly unstable.
Maybe the design has improved but it doesn't look much different from our
old one.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:48:11 +0000, "john.west" wrote:

There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

Two bricks will work, sort of.

If you'd like something cheap but a bit more posh, look at TLUD (top-lit
up-draft) stoves. "Dr TLUD" and "gasification" will bring up lots of hits.

I tried making one, roughly following youtube directions for one of the
simplest, lowest-tech ones. I collected three tin cans, punches a few holes,
bent over tabs to hold it together. A thick compact mass of chopped twigs and
other dry-ish wood bits burned well, with no smoke.

(Which brings me to a pet peeve: a technical drawing would show how some fellow
put his stove together would take about three seconds to look at and understand.
But no, it's "packed" into a ten-minute video...)

It'll be a few blackened bits of tin can with holes, so it won't get stolen.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:48:11 +0000, "john.west" wrote:

There seem to be a number of ways to go about it: a fire-pit, home made
rocket stoves (see youtube) but these seem complicated and liable to be
stolen and Chimenea; again the possibility of being stolen since they
are quite expensive.
Grateful for any effective and simple solutions.

Two bricks will work, sort of.

If you'd like something cheap but a bit more posh, look at TLUD (top-lit
up-draft) stoves. "Dr TLUD" and "gasification" will bring up lots of hits.

I tried making one, roughly following youtube directions for one of the
simplest, lowest-tech ones. I collected three tin cans, punches a few holes,
bent over tabs to hold it together. A thick compact mass of chopped twigs and
other dry-ish wood bits burned well, with no smoke.

Wilderness camp fire starts with dead twigs from the end of Elderberry
branches and for smokeless, use dead Ivy sticks. (back in the days when
nobody stopped you frying Moorhen eggs:-)

(Which brings me to a pet peeve: a technical drawing would show how some fellow
put his stove together would take about three seconds to look at and
understand.
But no, it's "packed" into a ten-minute video...)

AOL I've been struggling to replace the drive belt on my lawn tractor
without access to the manual. Tried 3 U Tube videos without learning
much other than that you can't hold a spanner and a camera at the same
time!

It'll be a few blackened bits of tin can with holes, so it won't get stolen.

Thomas Prufer

--
Tim Lamb

Wood for Burning Benni Home Repair 10 August 12th 06 03:09 PM
Burning of the wood The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 August 1st 06 12:31 AM
burning wood bizHB Woodturning 6 July 2nd 06 04:43 PM
Neighbor's Wood-Burning [email protected] Home Repair 24 December 23rd 04 12:44 AM
Wood burning Dawn Cherni Woodworking 6 August 28th 04 01:26 PM