Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polarised rj45?

I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors around a
new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45
connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs
and sockets is a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to
the A/V network or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently
looking at minidin connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good
ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2017 23:03, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors
around a new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45
connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs
and sockets is a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to
the A/V network or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently
looking at minidin connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good
ideas?

You can get RJ45 (8p8c) connectors with the release tab off to one side...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

You can get RJ45 (8p8c) connectors with the release tab off to one side...

For 6P6C there was the DEC MMJ, must admit I never saw any 8 pin
versions of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That very much depends on what the cabling is actually for. If a very good
robust connection is needed then it seems to me that orrible crimpable
connections are not going to be long lasting.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors around a
new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45 connectors
which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs and sockets is
a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to the A/V network
or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently looking at minidin
connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 23:33:48 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

You can get RJ45 (8p8c) connectors with the release tab off to one
side...

Lego Mindstorms NXT uses 6p6c:

http://www.active-robots.com/connect...or-nxt-10-pack

Sockets and crimper might be harder to come across...

Not quite sure what the OP means by "network" are both ethernet/IP
data networks or is the AV one something else. With data networks two
or more sub-nets on the same physical infrastructure isn't a problem,
just make sure the netmasks and IP ranges don't overlap. Maybe use
192.168.n.n for one and the other somewhere in 172.16.n.n to
172.31.n.n (or even 10.n.n.n). Of course some one could alter
settings in their device...

Alternatively ethernet up to 100 Mbps only uses two pairs so 6p6c,
6p4c, 4p4c are feaseable. 4p are used for telephony, lines to
phone/modemd, handsets to phone. 6p is less common I think.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 16/03/2017 23:03, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors
around a new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45
connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs
and sockets is a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to
the A/V network or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently
looking at minidin connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good
ideas?

You can get RJ45 (8p8c) connectors with the release tab off to one side...

Source? Sockets as well as plugs. Are they non interchangeable with
standard RJ45, both ways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The A/V is analogue, with 12V power line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2017 23:03, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors
around a new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45
connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs
and sockets is a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to
the A/V network or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently
looking at minidin connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good
ideas?

What do you expect to happen if someone plugs a PC into an AV socket?
What signals/power do you have on them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 07:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
That very much depends on what the cabling is actually for. If a very good
robust connection is needed then it seems to me that orrible crimpable
connections are not going to be long lasting.
Brian

You use crimpable connectors because they are more reliable and last
longer brian.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 09:50, Capitol wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

So as long as you connect the 12V to different pairs on the ethernet
then nothing bad will happen if you plug a PC in.
The signal pairs on ethernet are isolated by pulse transformers with a
minimum 1500V isolation. You just don't want to apply 12V to either side
of one of the transformers so putting it down different pairs will be
fine. Power over ethernet does just that so you could stick to the same
pinout for the power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2017 09:47, Capitol wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 16/03/2017 23:03, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for low cost 8 pin low current connectors
around a new A/V network. I would like to use something similar to RJ45
connectors which are crimpable/IDC capable. Using RG45 standard plugs
and sockets is a no no if it is possible to accidentally plug in a PC to
the A/V network or the A/V device to the data network. I am currently
looking at minidin connectors, but they are a pain to install. Any good
ideas?

You can get RJ45 (8p8c) connectors with the release tab off to one
side...

Source? Sockets as well as plugs. Are they non interchangeable with
standard RJ45, both ways.

Sorry, my bad - I jut looked at the one I have and its 6p6c not 8.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That's worth considering. The network is wired as 2 x 4p4c
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:01:56 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The A/V is analogue, with 12V power line.

Ah, hopefully sensibly wired unlike some kit I used last year. NIC's
don't like 48 V across 3 & 6 (and 4 & 5 (if they are gigabit). Large
red warning labels on our cables seemed to prevent mishaps.

So as long as you connect the 12V to different pairs on the ethernet
then nothing bad will happen if you plug a PC in.

That's +V on both wires of one pair and 0 V on both wires of another.
I'd be tempted to use 4/5 and 7/8 as those are unused for until you
go to gigabit ethernet.

Power over ethernet does just that so you could stick to the same
pinout for the power.

That would be sensible but you still have to be wary of uncontrolled
power on Cat5 cables in case you plug something in that doesn't have
transformer isolation, like a cheap flying spot "network" tester.

--
Cheers
Dave.

RJ45 Sockets - which way up? JoeJoe UK diy 7 January 23rd 12 10:48 PM
OT Polarised Light Rod UK diy 19 January 20th 09 11:38 AM
hinged RJ45-8 connector [email protected] Metalworking 1 October 10th 07 02:15 AM
RJ45 to (2) RJ11 cables Corbett Home Repair 7 April 17th 06 01:24 PM
Non-polarised electrolytic capacitors needed! Adrian Brentnall Electronics Repair 4 December 7th 04 08:05 AM