Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Artificial wood

I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board
outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'.
It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need painting.
The problem seems to be that it has little tensile strength as it broke,
probably, because someone swung on it.
Otherwise it takes screws in any direction as it has no grain.
The colour was dark brown, but I suppose(?) that might be an option.
I am not a professional so this material might have been around some
time.
Incidentally the supporting posts also seemed to be made of some
composite material which was quite 'sticky' to drill and although the
outdise was textered black, the drillings were dark grey.
Can anyone explain what I was dealing with and how widely avaiable it is.
Thanks

--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/17 10:50, Jim S wrote:
I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board
outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'.
It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need painting.
The problem seems to be that it has little tensile strength as it broke,
probably, because someone swung on it.
Otherwise it takes screws in any direction as it has no grain.
The colour was dark brown, but I suppose(?) that might be an option.
I am not a professional so this material might have been around some
time.
Incidentally the supporting posts also seemed to be made of some
composite material which was quite 'sticky' to drill and although the
outdise was textered black, the drillings were dark grey.
Can anyone explain what I was dealing with and how widely avaiable it is.
Thanks

I found this some time ago, coming across a couple of long continuous
strips of "wood" used for horizontal parallel fencing. In that
application, because of summer heat, they expanded like railway tracks
and drooped from the vertical supports. Didn't look good.

Known as Recycled plastic wood / lumber.

http://www.kedel.co.uk/working_with_...r_hanit.h tml

http://www.kedel.co.uk/links.html

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote in news:eiv9fkFddh5U1
@mid.individual.net:

http://www.kedel.co.uk/links.html

Thanks Adrian.
Interesting.

--
Jim S
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:50:25 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board
outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'.
It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need painting.

time.
Incidentally the supporting posts also seemed to be made of some
composite material which was quite 'sticky' to drill and although the
outdise was textered black, the drillings were dark grey.
Can anyone explain what I was dealing with and how widely avaiable it is.
Thanks

I have purchase some boards and from this firm to support garden
railway tracks. , they have a reasonable amount of information under
the " the product information" header on this link they do supply a
couple of different variety of materials some of which suit one
application better than others.
https://www.filcris.co.uk/

There are other suppliers in the field , a search under recycled
plastic furniture would yield many of them.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2017 10:50, Jim S wrote:
I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board
outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'.
It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need painting.
The problem seems to be that it has little tensile strength as it broke,
probably, because someone swung on it.
Otherwise it takes screws in any direction as it has no grain.
The colour was dark brown, but I suppose(?) that might be an option.
I am not a professional so this material might have been around some
time.

I have a bench made from plastic wood.
Its quite strong and in the main looks like wood.
You can see the difference in the end grain.

Its put together using mortice joints and other wood joints and screws.

Winwood IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/17 10:50, Jim S wrote:
I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board
outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'.
It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need painting.
The problem seems to be that it has little tensile strength as it broke,
probably, because someone swung on it.
Otherwise it takes screws in any direction as it has no grain.
The colour was dark brown, but I suppose(?) that might be an option.
I am not a professional so this material might have been around some
time.
Incidentally the supporting posts also seemed to be made of some
composite material which was quite 'sticky' to drill and although the
outdise was textered black, the drillings were dark grey.
Can anyone explain what I was dealing with and how widely avaiable it is.
Thanks

I noticed some 'wood finish' uVPVC while buying 'normal' uVPC board from
a local supplier- the kind of thing used for facias and window sills
etc. I assume it is similar to uVPC in construction, an interior softish
filling with a 'skin' of coloured, possibly textured, plastic.

The white stuff is very cheap, a 8' x 8" x 5/8" (approx) board was about
£9, the coloured stuff perhaps double the price. Other profiles are
available. I can't imagine it would 'take' screws very well, the filling
is too soft, but it glues fine. You can get a two part 'super glue'- the
second part is an accelerator you spray on. Normal super glue also works
but the two part is better as you can position the work then spray the
joint to set it.

Like the stuff you describe, I doubt it has much structural strength.

What to consider with artificial stone C & E Home Repair 1 April 2nd 07 05:35 AM
Q artificial stone C & E Home Repair 12 March 25th 07 11:52 PM
Re(2): artificial lumber Glenna Rose Woodworking 0 January 12th 05 06:23 AM
artificial lumber marc rosen Woodworking 19 January 12th 05 04:08 AM
Artificial Grass ................. ? ? ? SteveB Home Repair 2 February 11th 04 02:42 AM