Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pumped shower waste

Going to install a shower cubicle in my bathroom shortly - in place of
the largely unused bath. The shower waste is going to be something of a
problem, though, and I'd be grateful for the views of anyone here who's
ever done anything similar.

The installation is in a bungalow with a concrete floor. The shower
cubicle would be about six feet away from the existing bath, but I would
need to run the waste to where it now exits to the outside world - which
is approx two inches above floor level (for various reasons that can't
be changed).

In order to get a suitable fall I would need to build quite a high step
up into the shower cubicle - six to eight inches I reckon. This is
possible, of course, but far from ideal, so I was wondering about the
possibility of fitting a shower waste pump.

Anyone got any advice on this sort of thing?

Siting the pump wouldn't be difficult, but getting a fall into it from
the shower might be - do they need this, or can they 'suck' waste water
from the shower and then pump it to the outside world?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

The only way forward is either

Have a 6-8 inch step up, or

B:

Drop the waste pipe lower.

Arsing around with pumps ain't gonna work, and for the reason you've already
stated - it won't fit in, also, how and when do you switch it on/off? - what
stops it from emptying the trap and letting sewer smells in?

How do you get at it when it blocks / fails / needs replacing?

The waste is currently 2 inches above ground? - the waste doesn't need to
'fall' into this, it can be level from the shower waste and still drain away
adequately, it doesn't need another 2 or 3 inches height for it to drain.

Also, most shower trays are 6-8 inches high when purchased.

Think about raising the flooor outside the tray? - even if it's just a few
feet out from the tray, it's less of a clamber getting in/out of the cubicle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

Not strictly true

Have a 6-8 inch step up, or

B:

Drop the waste pipe lower.

Arsing around with pumps ain't gonna work, and for the reason you've already
stated - it won't fit in, also, how and when do you switch it on/off? - what
stops it from emptying the trap and letting sewer smells in?

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...4ecaAnVh8P8HAQ

A non-pumped solution would be better but it's down to the OP to choose
between having a step up or the cost/noise of a pump.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

Not actually true.

Arsing around with pumps ain't gonna work, and for the reason you've already
stated - it won't fit in, also, how and when do you switch it on/off? - what
stops it from emptying the trap and letting sewer smells in?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351152747605

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

Both thos pumps would make it just as high as if he'd connected it directly
to the existing outlet, they're 6 inches high and need to go under the tray,
plus they're £200

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

plus they're Ģ200

More misinformation. The eBay one is £99. No need to fit it under the tray.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2017 17:30, Phil L wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

You could make a hole in the concrete floor for the pump, which would
help deaden the noise. However, it's bound to go wrong sooner or later,
so I wouldn't put it under a shower tray. It can just go next to the shower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/17 17:30, Phil L wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. Scroll the photo on the Plumbnation page and you'll see the
input is only a few mm above ground level. It also shows the unit
outside the shower. I guess it could be boxed if you didn't want to see
it. Download the installation guide (see link near bottom of Plumbnation
page) for more info. What it doesn't solve is the current waste being
only 2 inches above floor level. Unless he can drill a hole near the
pump outlet to take a 32 mm pipe to the outside, and connect that to the
current waste.

They work automatically - there's a float switch inside which operates
when there's only a few mm of water in them, and they can shift a litre
a couple of seconds. They don't empty the trap, so there's no smell issue.

plus they're £200

And very reliable. I've got one pumping waste from a lower garage sink
to the foul water waste.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2017 18:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
What it doesn't solve is the current waste being
only 2 inches above floor level. Unless he can drill a hole near the
pump outlet to take a 32 mm pipe to the outside, and connect that to the
current waste.

Can you explain that a bit more? The OP wants the pump to pump the
shower waste the six feet across the bathroom to the existing waste pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 16:31, Joe Bloggs wrote:
Going to install a shower cubicle in my bathroom shortly - in place of
the largely unused bath. The shower waste is going to be something of a
problem, though, and I'd be grateful for the views of anyone here who's
ever done anything similar.

The installation is in a bungalow with a concrete floor. The shower
cubicle would be about six feet away from the existing bath, but I would
need to run the waste to where it now exits to the outside world - which
is approx two inches above floor level (for various reasons that can't
be changed).

In order to get a suitable fall I would need to build quite a high step
up into the shower cubicle - six to eight inches I reckon.

Might it work with one of those slim/anti-syphon wastes and a (say) 2" fall?

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-Mar-17 4:56 PM, Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
[...]

That's not possible.

Arsing around with pumps ain't gonna work, and for the reason you've already
stated - it won't fit in, also, how and when do you switch it on/off? - what
stops it from emptying the trap and letting sewer smells in?

It will fit in. They are usually fitted outside the shower, and I will
have a space to accommodate it in a vanity unit.

How do you get at it when it blocks / fails / needs replacing?

I don't understand that point. The waste output from the shower tray
will be little different from usual - other that the fact that there
won't need to be a fall to the waste outlet to outside..

The waste is currently 2 inches above ground? - the waste doesn't need to
'fall' into this, it can be level from the shower waste and still drain away
adequately, it doesn't need another 2 or 3 inches height for it to drain.

Also, most shower trays are 6-8 inches high when purchased.

I don't think so. You can get them with a raised bed, but I don't want
to fit that type if I can avoid it.

Think about raising the flooor outside the tray? - even if it's just a few
feet out from the tray, it's less of a clamber getting in/out of the cubicle

That's not a bad idea, but the bathroom is rather too small to do it
effectively.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-Mar-17 6:57 PM, RJH wrote:
On 03/03/2017 16:31, Joe Bloggs wrote:
Going to install a shower cubicle in my bathroom shortly - in place of
the largely unused bath. The shower waste is going to be something of a
problem, though, and I'd be grateful for the views of anyone here who's
ever done anything similar.

The installation is in a bungalow with a concrete floor. The shower
cubicle would be about six feet away from the existing bath, but I would
need to run the waste to where it now exits to the outside world - which
is approx two inches above floor level (for various reasons that can't
be changed).

In order to get a suitable fall I would need to build quite a high step
up into the shower cubicle - six to eight inches I reckon.

Might it work with one of those slim/anti-syphon wastes and a (say) 2"
fall?

I don't think that I'd even get that kind of fall without raising the
shower tray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/17 18:40, GB wrote:
On 03/03/2017 18:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
What it doesn't solve is the current waste being
only 2 inches above floor level. Unless he can drill a hole near the
pump outlet to take a 32 mm pipe to the outside, and connect that to the
current waste.

Can you explain that a bit more? The OP wants the pump to pump the
shower waste the six feet across the bathroom to the existing waste pipe.

See the diagrams on page 2 of the installation guide. I had assumed
there was no room above the current waste pipe inside to take the output
from the pump. If there is he could take the pump outlet to enter the
waste pipe from the top. The outlet of the pump needs to be *above* the
waste pipe it feeds into to avoid back-syphoning foul water. One thing I
would be concerned about is force of the pump and the amount of waste
water from the shower it could deliver to the current waste. It might
just force waste in the bath trap back into the bath if it is almost
level with the current waste pipe. See pump output on page 5. If he can,
it might be better to take it outside to feed into the 100 mm waste. No
chance of overloading that!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe Bloggs wrote:
On 03-Mar-17 6:57 PM, RJH wrote:
[...]

As I said, you don't need a fall, water will find the lowest point and that
will be along the pipe and outside.
There's plenty of low profile shower wastes, only 90mm from top to bottom,
so even a low profile shower tray:
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...6KgaAm2c8P8HAQ

Raise it up on a 50mm packer and hey presto, a 90mm high shower tray, with
wste pipe utilising the same outlet as before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03-Mar-17 8:22 PM, Phil L wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:
On 03-Mar-17 6:57 PM, RJH wrote:
[...]

Certainly something to think about, but I'm not sure that would give me
sufficient fall (I'm not disagreeing with you, I just have doubts).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2017 19:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/03/17 18:40, GB wrote:
[...]

I think the bath might be being permanently removed? Or did I just
assume that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am not recommending that you do this but I recently has to turn our sub basement bathroom and shower into a wetroom to take a wheelchair so I took out the bath and shower cubicle and dug a hole in the corner, dropped in a bucket big enough to take a sump pump (about £50 from Screwfix),fitted a grill over it, resined the bathroom floor and six inches up the wall and fitted a shower mixer to the wall.
Use the shower, fill the bucket up, switch on the pump until you hear it run dry and then switch it off. The outlet from the pump is connected to the old bath waste via a hosepipe. I didn't want to put a fall on the existing floor (too much work) so the shower floor area is enclosed by a big fat bead of clear silicone on the floor to stop the water from running out of the door. The water is slooshed into the corner with a big squeegee and dried off with a mop.
It is for immediate family use only so everyone know the rules.
The two main problems I had apart from poisoning everyone with the fibreglass resin fumes were getting the resin to go off (fan heaters blowing day and night) and getting an effective seal between the bucket and the wet room floor (so the water doesn't run away underground with I don't know what consequences)
It isn't pretty but cost next to nothing and works very well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe Bloggs wrote:

[...]

The Saniflo one (?Sanishower) can definitely suck water uphill, so if
you are prepared to put a small grill in the floor and a chased slot to
the pump you can have a shower base at floor level. Or just a couple of
inches above the floor if preferred. I think the pump provides its own
trap, but you can always use one of the Hep2 things in the outlet if
not.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe Bloggs wrote:
On 03-Mar-17 6:57 PM, RJH wrote:
[...]

The low fall ratio *seems* odd to me - but apparently 1:80 - so about an
inch in your case - might do it.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/17 18:40, GB wrote:
[...]

No, I missed it! In that case, I can't see a problem if the OP wants to
use the pump.

--

Jeff

Pumped shower. Probably a daft question.... Nick UK diy 15 April 25th 12 12:48 AM
Advice sought for pumped shower Davey UK diy 17 March 26th 12 03:30 PM
Pumped shower / hot water [email protected] UK diy 19 June 10th 07 12:55 PM
Pumped shower. Matthew UK diy 8 October 11th 06 08:59 PM
pumped shower questions.... dkh UK diy 5 September 22nd 06 08:09 PM